Motorcycle Lift

I gotta get a lift for the old girl this summer, that's all there is to it

xxx.jpg

Mike:

Put up some plans of how you built that thing. Or at least give us some construction shots...

I can't believe I didn't think of that
banghead.gif
Coming from a guy that built his own custom kitchen cabinets.All I need now is the 2x4's already have the jack.

Thanks Mike
beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

Thanks for all the nice comments.. and even the "smart" ones. For those who are interested I will add some more pics and measurements today as per ibified's request.

Mike B

Here are some more detailing pics and measurements for the carpenters.

Improvements I would make if I had to build another(I used what I had available at the time):
*Use thicker plywood sheet than 1/8
*Use 2x4 butt end instead of 1x4 strapping
*You can minimiza on cutting by using full length (8ft) if you are not concerned with room it takes. If you have limited space, cut the length of the ramp board and 2x4 to accomodate the wheelbase only.

Some intructions:
*Make sure 2x4s are distance properly as in pics so the pressure points of the tires and stand wheels are supported.
*Make sure to center ramp on jack arms before raising bike.
*Ensure you strap bike to ramp before raising bike.
*It's better to have a helper(wife or gf or even both if they get along)steady bike for the raising process.

Down side: "If you build it... they will come". Your friends that is, to use your lift. hehe
Please post some pics on this thread if you make your own.

Thanks and have a great, Happy New Year!!!

Mike B

2007_12_31_001.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics, Mike. That's exactly what I wanted to see.

So you ran 5 pieces of 2x4 down the long length of the lift? Good idea. Nice for keeping support under the bike. I wonder if you'd need that many if you went with a thicker top piece though...eh, better safe than sorry...

Now dont get me wrong, please please please....because I don't want to criticize you - after all, *I* didn't come up with this idea....here's what I might do differently:

1) id cut the 8 ft 2x4s 3 inches shorter so that I could cap the ends off with another 2x4 and close the whole thing off nicely on the front and back.

2) Id probably notch the 8 ft 2x4s and drop cross supports in under the wheel areas

3) id have used screws instead of nails. (nevermind, on second look, you DID mostly use screws)

One other thing....i know it is a superior lift, because you built it measuring things in feet and inches instead of using that pesky metric system....
guns.gif

*heh* Actually, Mike, i was surprised to see that, coming from Canada and all....A very nice looking lift, and I appreciate you posting that up for all of us to see. If anyone else has any suggestions, I'd be more than happy to draft up some designs on autocad for everyone and would be happy to mail them to whoever wanted them, unless of course Mike has this copyrighted....
beerchug.gif

Thanks ibified. Go ahead if you want to autocad it. No offense taken on the suggestions. I tought about going thicker lengths and cross members but I wanted to keep the ramp as thin as possible so as to not have to worry about any angling issues while riding the bike up onto it. Adjusting length for capping off... shoulda done that. hehe

Mike B

We'll see what the interest would be in building this.

If anyone would be interested in having actual blueprints for this, post up here. if there's enough interest, I'll do it. Plans would be printed up on standard paper and mailed standard mail - and if Mike's willing to share the pics for free, I certainly wouldnt charge anyone for the blueprints. if i make them up, there will also be instructions for assembly included, along with a waiver of liability against me or Mike.

Back