Motorcycle Dealers...

bacharles

Korrup~shun!!
Donating Member
Registered
I know that on several occasions that we have from time-to-time bashed motorcycle dealers.  Is there reputation well-deserved or are their some truly honest dealers out there?
rock.gif
 Sound off, because I am real curious about this one.

My case:  My local dealer charges exhorbitant amounts of money for similar parts found on the internet.  I can see a slight mark mark-up, but damn, some of this poop is ridiculous.  Case in point.  A few months ago I went to my local dealer to get a price on a set of Metzeler Sportec M1's.  The lady opened her book (of tricks...) and told me that the tires would sell for $225 a piece.  O.K. now, do the math.  That's $450 for a front and rear tire.  But that's not all.  She also told me that they WOULD NOT mount and balance my tires if I didn't purchase the tires from them.  
mad.gif
 The local Yamaha shop and Harley shop gladly mounts and balances wheels for you.  I purchased both tires from Parts411.com and got them both for $250 including shipping.  I was also quoted a price for a D.I.D. x-ring chain of $200+.  I purchased the same chain at Newportcycleparts.com for $135.  What gives?
rock.gif
 It almost seems illegal, but I guess it's not.  Just Saturday, I witnessed this guy at the Yamaha shop purchasing a Dunlop D208 for his son's R1.  He paid $218 dollars for that tire.  I really hated to do it, but I caught the guy outside and told him that I purchased the same tire for a friend of mine at Parts411.com for $150 including shipping.  I was really doing it as a "head's up" type thing, but the look he gave me when I told him that was "PRICELESS..."  My rant is temporarily done...

Brian

<!--EDIT|bacharles
Reason for Edit: None given...|1084213803 -->

rock.gif

I have had bad experiences with a lot of dealers but don't get down.

There a many good ones out there. Just keep looking and when you find one that treats you right, you won't mind paying a little more to know they will take care of you.

Josh
blues.gif

My local dealership's run by fuggin' money grabbing monkeys...and I say that with the utmost sincerity...

The dealer I ended up buying from is wonderful...

He had the best prices, he answered any and all questions, he was a pleasure to deal with and I'd go back to him again and again for anything I need.  Too bad he's in NC!  
laugh.gif

They are all bad or at least there are enough bad ones out there to treat them all the same... I have had my fair share of buying experiences, cars and bikes, and I don't think there are many good ones out there...

They all seem good until you have already given them your money and you need help with some BS they sold you... that is when you will really find out how good they are.

Well, my dealer has done nothin' but shoot me straight. Can't say they have the best prices on parts and accessories, but what business can you walk into locally and buy parts for what you can find them on the net for?
rock.gif

The only business I've been able to walk into and pay net prices on ANYTHING that I can remember was Wolf Camera at the mall. Got my Canon S500 in the store for what they are goin' for on the net. ANYTHING else I have shopped for lately was available online at considerable savings compared to any local outlet I could find.

Ya gotta keep in mind that a bike dealer has a LOT more overhead than most of the internet only places. The dealer also sells (and therefore buys) considerably less volume in parts and accessories than most internet sellers as well. It really isn't reasonable to expect dealers to support a store front and give the same prices as the internet companies, is it?
rock.gif

Just my 2/100ths of a US Dollar.
wink.gif

rock.gif

when i was comparing prices for my damage estimate between two dealerships, the one i bought my bike from told me that there is generally a 60% markup on all parts, and that the only way i would really save any money from one dealsership to another would be on labor....and that won't vary much...

This is why that bike is still sitting in my garage as banged up as it was the day i called him...

when i was comparing prices for my damage estimate between two dealerships, the one i bought my bike from told me that there is generally a 60% markup on all parts, and that the only way i would really save any money from one dealsership to another would be on labor....and that won't vary much...

This is why that bike is still sitting in my garage as banged up as it was the day i called him...
Feature,

I don't have the number right off hand but there is a lady named Kathy in Ohio that sells OEM parts for cost. You should give her a call and see what she can do for you.

I saved almost $200 repairing my bike when I hit a RE-tread on the Highway.

Josh
blues.gif

I'm not a MC dealer, but in my industry (marine), there is a reason for some of the cost differences between small dealers and the big "warehouse" outlets and/or online dealers....volume discounts.
Example: One large supplier of wakeboards offers a straight 28% discount to everyone. But with volume buys, a large dealer can get up to an additional 22% off his order.
So the little local guy buys a little bit of gear at 28% off, pays shipping on the order, and sells it for say 10% off MSRP....he just turned a 15-18% profit on that sale. Not terrible, but not good either.
The big online retailer buys a million dollars worth of gear, gets it at 50% off, and strongarms the vendor into picking up the shipping. Then he sells it to you for 25% off, and still clears 25% profit. Plus he doesn't have to pay rent on a high visibility storefront, and probably operates out of state to save on taxes.
I'm not defending shady dealers, just throwin' out my view of things. I'll match online pricing on stuff if I have to, but my LOCAL SERVICE has to be worth something to my customers, too. If said item breaks/fails/needs replaced, I'll bet you'd rather bring it back to the local guy for replacing than deal with the shipping and time delay associated with on-line buying.

Rant over.....

TBone

mine sux d!%k i live in the stix of georgia so there tryin to get rich i hit up ebay and ronayers.com when i wrecked and saved over 2 grand on the same stuff the dealer was going to install
mad.gif

I'm not a MC dealer, but in my industry (marine), there is a reason for some of the cost differences between small dealers and the big "warehouse" outlets and/or online dealers....volume discounts.
Example: One large supplier of wakeboards offers a straight 28% discount to everyone. But with volume buys, a large dealer can get up to an additional 22% off his order.
So the little local guy buys a little bit of gear at 28% off, pays shipping on the order, and sells it for say 10% off MSRP....he just turned a 15-18% profit on that sale. Not terrible, but not good either.
The big online retailer buys a million dollars worth of gear, gets it at 50% off, and strongarms the vendor into picking up the shipping. Then he sells it to you for 25% off, and still clears 25% profit. Plus he doesn't have to pay rent on a high visibility storefront, and probably operates out of state to save on taxes.
I'm not defending shady dealers, just throwin' out my view of things. I'll match online pricing on stuff if I have to, but my LOCAL SERVICE has to be worth something to my customers, too. If said item breaks/fails/needs replaced, I'll bet you'd rather bring it back to the local guy for replacing than deal with the shipping and time delay associated with on-line buying.

Rant over.....

TBone
Exactly my point. You layed it out better, though.
wink.gif

Feature,

I don't have the number right off hand but there is a lady named Kathy in Ohio that sells OEM parts for cost.  You should give her a call and see what she can do for you.

Josh
blues.gif
Someone posted the other day that they called and Kathy isn't with 'em anymore...
rock.gif

BulletTrain,

How long ago? I ordered all my stuff from her 2-weeks ago and everything was great. She had to order everything and still go it to my door in 5-days.

Josh
cool.gif

I dunno, maybe a week or two ago, I guess. Seems like it was in a reply under the classified section. Wish I could find it, but ain't got time to look... Maybe she is still there, I don't know. I just remember someone sayin' they called and asked for her and she wasn't there anymore.
rock.gif
Maybe someone who knows what the fug I'm talkin' about (I sure don't!
biggrin.gif
) will read this and post...
wink.gif

I bought all my bikes from one dealer, and he always gave me a good deal. He's closed now, retired. But I still go to the same mechanic and I buy all my stuff from him, tires, chain lube, helmets, boots, gloves.

Same with all of the dealers that I have dealt with around here - although some are worse than others. One dealer, the biggest Honda, Yamaha, and Kawie dealer around, actually takes out brand new streetbikes and ATVs once they are uncrated and drag races them on occasion. I have had several buddies who have worked there over the years and they all confirm this. Their service department has an even worse reputation for shoddy work. And their parts department? Don't get me started - I had to buy a battery for my Seadoo from them yesterday and I should have just bent over before I handed them my credit card.
mad.gif

Feature,

I don't have the number right off hand but there is a lady named Kathy in Ohio that sells OEM parts for cost.  You should give her a call and see what she can do for you.

Josh
blues.gif
hey man that would be great....let me know if you can get her contact...i would appreciate that...

hey man that would be great....let me know if you can get her contact...i would appreciate that...
Feature,

She should be able to save you a lot of money on OEM parts. Let us know what you find out and if she is still there. I called 2-weeks ago and everything was good but that might not be the case anymore!?!?!

Either way her name is:

Kathy 1-800-646-7741

I can't remember but I believe the dealer ship is A & J Extreme in Ohio.

Hope everything works out.

Josh
blues.gif

Now remeber the difference between buying online and in a store is that most stores have alot more overhead than an online store does. Also these people are there to make money, thats how they support their families. I sell computers for a living *not much longer, but thats a different story* and I hate the people that think its Lets Make a Deal-USA. Im sure these dealers have a good markup on some of this stuff but how do you think they stay in business? Its not that $500 markup on each bike let me tell ya. At work we might make $100 on the computer in extreme cases but its that 1000%, no thats not a typo its one thousand percent, markup on the usb cable that you need to conect that new printer, which we made a whopping $10 on, to your new computer.

Plus what if theres an issue witht he product. Do you want to only beable to call / email the company or do you want to be there in person?

Sorry to rant a little but this is just a topic that can get me going...

Feature,

She should be able to save you a lot of money on OEM parts.  Let us know what you find out and if she is still there.  I called 2-weeks ago and everything was good but that might not be the case anymore!?!?!

Either way her name is:

Kathy 1-800-646-7741

I can't remember but I believe the dealer ship is A & J Extreme in Ohio.  

Hope everything works out.

Josh
blues.gif
thanks a lot...i'll try her in the next couple of weeks...trying to get the money together to do the repairs....thanks again...

Brian you make a good point and your ranting is justified. There are some dealers out there that will rob you faster then a crack head on a 3 day binge.
face7.gif
You just have to be patient and find a dealer willing to keep customers instead of trying to make money. Since I live in Miami Florida there are plenty of dealers here so most of them are very competitive.

Back