Tires

2-Stroke Chad

Registered
My wife was very kind and bought me a new back tire for my Busa for Fathers Day. She purchased it from our local bike shop, and installation is included. It's a Bridgstone Battle Ax S21. The trouble is that it's manufacturing date stamp on it is from April of 2014. Should I return it? I'm not an aggressive rider, and certainly will never push the tire to it's limits. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Two Stroke Chad, 2014 will be fine whether you ride hard or not. Here is info on tire shelf life that I posted elsewhere on the Org.

The date your tires were made will be on the sidewall in the form of four numbers usually. These numbers represent the week number and year, so 3410 will be week 34, 2010. Tires generally have a 5 year shelf life so you have no worries there.

Tire ageing is commonly identified by small cracks, known as crazing, which appear in the tire sidewall. This is brought about when UV light oxidises the rubber causing it to dry out. While tires contain anti-oxidising chemicals which significantly slow down the rate of ageing, this wax-like substance is only released when the tyre is in motion. Therefore, if the tire is not used frequently or is stored away ineffectively, they will age more quickly rendering them unroadworthy when returned to use.

If it's only got 3 numbers then bin it anyway coz it was made before 2000!!

Back