MotoGP regarding traction control

Shibumi

Donating Member
Registered
Was reading this month's Racer X, an interview with John Hopkins talking about various topics. They were discussing Traction Control currently on the bikes, and Hopper says that now you pick your line and entry speed for a curve, then when you hit the apex you just max out the throttle and the electronics do the rest.
wtf.gif

Not that these bikes ride themselves, but c'mon, where's the skill in that?!? Modulating the throttle to keep the front wheel from wheelying, the back wheel from sliding out, LETTING the rear wheel back the bike into the corner, where do all these skillsets fall off the list of things the rider must master??

This is RACING, let it be the rider who is best win, not the rider with the best electronics.

Hell, now they can even have a different level of TC programmed for each corner, and let the rider adjust it on the fly when the tires start to go away later in the race...
rant.gif

bs.gif

You're asking for the old days of the 500 cc GP bikes, when tank-slappers, burning rubber, and high-sides were common place. Although things have become infinitely more sophisticated and traction control is a natural result (Ducati utilizes a GPS-based traction control), I think that MotoGP will eventually go the way of F1, which has banned traction control.

You forgot to mention that the ECUs controlling the TC is a learning computer. It learns every corner lap by lap and makes changes based on what happened in the last laps.

TC is good for technology devolpment.

But bad for the show.

You forgot to mention that the ECUs controlling the TC is a learning computer. It learns every corner lap by lap and makes changes based on what happened in the last laps.

TC is good for technology devolpment.

But bad for the show.
Nope, didn't forget- didn't know that! Damn!

I'm not looking for spectacular wrecks, just think that results should reflect the riders skills in controlling the bike, not the ECU's skills...
rock.gif

Now street bikes could use traction control for safety reasons-to save ham-fisted riders from damaging themselves from injudicious application of throttle...

f- traction control

dont forget launch control and anti lock. could we invent a robot to ride the bike? that would be awesome!

Well when the boys at F1 dump it, you know that the racing has gone to far to the engineers and designers and not enough of the driver/rider talent.... Bike racing is pretty dull for us "un-initiated" viewers let me tell you... it is just "follow the leader" start to finish with an occasional off track pppPPPppPpPpPpPpp monster truck freestyle has it covered
laugh.gif

Wasn't hopper the one who said "The more you know, the slower you go"? I don't remember for sure, but it was either him or Nicky... anyway, I am sure there is a ot more to it than just flick it and let the computer sort it out...

The race is about an entire team. Rider, Mechs, Tires, Coaches, Engineers and other Technicians.

I'm all for technology and electronics becoming a part of the race. It's all good!

--Wag--

There are pros and cons.

But in the end with "motorcycle" racing, the rider is more important than traction control. Unlike F1.

The biggest con and the only reason I don't want traction control is COST. Very expensive.

After Laguna Seca I'm sure Jorge Lorenzo, if asked, would have some input on the "overkill" of modern traction control.
whistling.gif

Back