Rider weights in motorcycle racing

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
I've been thinking about this since Dani Pedrosa started MotoGP this year. Dani weighs 44lbs less than Nicky Hayden! A lot of people said at the beginning that he wouldn't have the strength for a MotoGP bike, well he has definately proved them wrong. Laguna-Seca was an extremely physical race, all the racers commented on how demanding it was, even Hayden thanking his personal trainer for keeping him fit.

Some the advantages of less rider weight, from what I've read/concluded, are that with less weight you can accelerate faster and brake deeper. Less weight is also easier on tires making them last longer or allowing a lighter rider to pick a softer tire with more grip than heavier riders. I've also heard that a lighter rider can carry more fuel, in which they dial the engine up, creating more hp. But I know that the rules only allow so much fuel, so I'm not sure about the last one.

The only main disadvantage I'm aware of is a lighter rider is a weaker rider. A stronger rider can muscle the bike around and is more likely to save it before a crash happens. Also in the rain heavier riders get more traction due to their weight helping tires punch through the water.

In Superbikes, I think it balances out pretty good. Mostly because they don't have traction control systems or very limited traction control systems. So I think that they should not regulate rider weights in Superbike.

But I'm beginning to think rider weight regulating might be necessary to kep a level playing field in MotoGP. This biggest obsticle is enfrocement. Where do you put the ballast?? But put that aside and pretend that there is a perfect way to add ballast. MotoGP's traction control is getting better and better. Most are agree that you no longer need strength over precision but precision over strength now. Every article I've read has said that if Pedrosa or Stoner came to MotoGP on 2-stroke500cc, they wouldn't be taking mulitple poles and race wins in their rookie year. The 4-stroke990cc, traction controlled MotoGP bikes are much easier to ride and don't require the strength that the old 2-stroke500ccs did.

Sport rider's August edition has a good article on which training grounds are best for a successful MotoGP career. The top MotoGP riders, Schwantz and Rainey all pretty much agree that Superbike with a dirtbike background was the best training ground for the old GP bikes. But for the new GP bikes with traction control systems, they all are starting to think the 250cc and 125cc GPs are the best training grounds.

What do you guys think?

Regulate rider weights(if there was a perfect way to do it) or not??

This is nery similar to what happened in NHRA drag racing. Angelle (? whatever her name is now) came in and weighed like 100lbs dripping wet and instantly started winning races and even championships. I think they have to weigh a certain weight with rider and bike together but they can then freely put the ballast wherever it benefits them the most. Now the deal with Pedrosa is upon us and I am sure you will see more like him before you will see more guys Mladins size on a GP bike. But weight aside you cant argue Pedrosa is a real talent!

I really hate it when they keep screwing with the regulations (Ala F1) every year. The move to 800cc next year in MotoGP could be telling as the smaller bikes will have less torque to pull the bigger riders off the corners with him! I guess we'll see. What I really want to know is when are the 125 and 250 bikes going to 4 strokes? They did it in MotoGP and Motocross quite successfully, why not the tiddlers? Could be really cool to see 250cc singles and 450cc v-twin gp bikes! Aprilia already has a motor and they are rumored to be making a street bike chassis for it! Have you seen the little tiny 450 v-twin they are selling now!
http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/images/aprilia_45_v2_1l.jpg

From what I've read, the 800cc will actually be a benefit to stronger riders.  It'll be more peaky and not as smooth.  Maybe backing into a corner and steering with the rear tire on the exit will not be as slow as it is now for the 990cc.

Or maybe traction control systems will just be that much better and it won't be much of a difference...

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1154062885 -->

Back