Model year differences?

bdhmsg

Registered
I searched, but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for. What are the mechanical differences in the 2002-2006 Hayabusa? I know there are different color schemes, but any real differences? Thanks in advance.

Here's a few that I can think of ... I know there's more though:
1. Flash to pass switch on the left handle bar
2. Updated Brake Rotors
3. Momentary headlight disconnect until engine starts

Too sleepy to think of anymore right now ...

isn't the turn signals clear instead of orange

<!--EDIT|mospeed
Reason for Edit: None given...|1145505429 -->

2004 and newer have the 'flash to pass' and hazards

2005 and newer have the clear signal lenses and momentary headlight 'power off' when starting

Not that I am aware of. 02 was the first year going to the 32-bit ECU also...

It all depends what your plans for the bike are. Any will be a great choice but 03+ you can't go wrong as they have all the upgrades that were needed (Starter, Clutch, etc...) on previous years. The cam chain was fixed in 01 and pretty much everything else was cosmetic from then on....
wink.gif

There is a "Service Advisory" for the '02 starter I believe. Someone posted it here last year. I will look for it.

03 and up have a diferent starter, starter clutch,and related parts. The gears connected to the starter were beefed up, and a back torque limiting device was added.

My 02 developed a problem with the starter clutch slipping, then catching, which would place a huge load on the gears connecting the starter to the starter clutch, and make a very loud pop. I changed the starter clutch with a new one, problem solved. IMHO, the 03 redesign is nice overkill, Suzuki just had a bad run of soft starter clutches. There is a sticky thread about this issue in the Busa problems section titled "A word to the wise".

Good hunting.
Karl

Back