Busa model years

Joss

Registered
I tried to figure out a way to do a search on this but couldn't. Sorry cause I figure you guys have seen this question before.

Are there any significant generational differences, or model year preferences, for Hayabusas.... a la the VFR gen-5, gen-6 kind of thing?

forgot which year exactly, (someone here will know for sure), but about 2000 and higher are restricted to 185mph.  Earlier models were unrestricted on the top end.  Other than that the '03 has a much beefer starter(and related parts).  Only other thing i can think of is color schemes.

'02 Black & Blue is the best.
tounge.gif

Seriously though, there isn't much difference. The older years have a sub-frame failure issue. I'm not sure what year it was changed though. The older bikes don't have the timing retarder, but that can be fixed in the bikes that do have it. One complaint i've heard is that the newer bikes should have some newer technology in them but Suzuki hasn't agreed so far.

So, looking at used bikes, there really isn't anything seriously specfic to model years to avoid or home in on... just focus on condition and price?

(...restricted to 185mph... I'm reasonably ok with that
biggrin.gif
)

forgot which year exactly, (someone here will know for sure), but about 2000 and higher are restricted to 185mph.  Earlier models were unrestricted on the top end.  Other than that the '03 has a much beefer starter(and related parts).  Only other thing i can think of is color schemes.
Let's get this one staight: '99 and '00 Busas are unrestricted and the '01 through '03 are restricted. Just like to keep us all on the same sheet of music.

Brian

Red n Grey 2000 is best..I've been led to believe 185 mph restrictions came in 2001..even if you don't use all the power its a good feeling to know its there on tap....good luck

I think they changed the subframe from aluminum to steel on the 2001 models.

The 99 and 00 models still have the timing retard I believe but are unrestricted on the top end. Am I right?

The 99 and 00 models still have the timing retard I believe but are unrestricted on the top end.  Am I right?
I thought the timing retard was what restricted the top end.?
OK let's see if we all can get on the same page
cussing.gif

99-00 nothing pure BUSA
01-03 186mph limited BUSA
that is all for performance nothing else.
differenty models had different clutch set ups and different sub frams, graphics ect. but all make 174 at the crank PERIOD
NO TIMING WAS EVER CHANGED
EXCEPT 00 had base idle timing changed from 99 01-03 has the same as 99 but that is at IDLE

TIMING RETARD HAS TO DO WITH THE LOWER GEARS,TO KEEP THE BIKE FROM OVERPOWERING THE SUSPENSION,TIRES,ETC.
WHEN YOU BYPASS THE TIMING RETARD THE BIKE THINKS ITS IN 5TH GEAR ALL THE TIME SO YOU GET FULL POWER IN THE LOWER GEARS.
' I THINK'
,SOMEONE CHECK ME ON THIS

ok....here we go again.....

yer askin' which yr of bus might be the best due to different things .

ok....early busa's...sub frame failures
starter gear problems
cam chain problems
yadda yadda yadda
Get a 2001 or newer if ya can, all those things were fixed.
Every bike has GLICHES . The early ones just had MORE.

The timing thing/speed thing....you can fix it for 2 bucks.

Personally , I will never buy the first year of anything again , I bought the first year of the Intruder once , there are just too many bugs too be worked out . They draw them up , test them , and manufacture them....in about 4 and a half days . Kiddin'...maybe .

Bottom line....get a newer one if ya can.....less headaches.

"Get a 2001 or newer if ya can, all those things were fixed."

That's about what I wanted to know. Thanks.

Back