California Busa info??

bcarpman

Registered
I'm sorry if this has been covered. I searched and didn't find anything. If anyone knows a thread, point me to it.

I'm moving to cali and selling my saber and buying a used busa. I'm trying to decide whether to buy one before or after I move. Does anyone know how the first generation busa's were done with regard to CA C.A.R.B. ? was it a 50 state model or did they have a special model for CA? If so, what was the difference?

Thanks

If buying a 49-state bike, make sure it has at least 7500 miles so you can register the bike in CA. Not 100% sure but CA-emissions bikes are "leaner" in tune vs. 49-state bikes.

leaner in tune...........NO! 5 gallon gas tank instead of 5.5
Carbon box and emmissions stuff. Thats all! 7500 miles needed on the ODOMETER to register here.

No difference in performance between cali models and 49 state models. Cali models hold a few ounces less gas in the tank and have a charcoal cannister on them...thats it.

No difference in performance between cali models and 49 state models. Cali models hold a few ounces less gas in the tank and have a charcoal cannister on them...thats it.

How do u check 49 vs Cali?

Can someone explain how the different color stickers work.

I was reading up on the base I'm going to.. it says I get to keep my TX plates but I need an emission sticker.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's most of what I was looking for.

SInce it seems some of you know this CA stuff, can you answer a few more questions?

You mention 7500miles. IN the CA web site it doesn't mention that at all. It just says that in order to register a 49 state vehicle in CA you must have had it registered in your own name in another state first. I take it to mean that if I bought a 49 state bike and registered it here before moving, I'd be fine? How does the 7500 mile thing play with that?

What if you registered a 49 state bike in CA and then wanted to sell it a couple years later. Could you sell it in CA or would you have to take it out of state to sell it?

What about if you find a bike out of state that you really like. Is that where the 7500 mile thing comes in? It doesn't say anything about that on the CA web site.

If anyone understands this CA mess, I'd love to hear from you.

THANKS AGAIN

California DMV HTVR9 How To Register A Out of State Vehicle Nonresident Vehicle

In case you miss it:
NOTE:California law prohibits residents or businesses from importing and/or registering a new vehicle with less than 7,500 miles at the time of purchase unless it meets or is exempt from California Emission standards. If you acquire a 49-State vehicle (manufactured for all states except California) from another state or country, you may not be able to register your vehicle in California.

Also, be ready for this:
The vehicle must be inspected by an authorized DMV employee, law enforcement officer, or a licensed vehicle verifier. These inspections are most easily obtained by bringing the vehicle to the nearest DMV, where there is no extra fee charged for the inspection.

P.S. Had to do this for a bike I bought in PA, clerk wanted to to see ALL the emissions STICKERS on the frame

Last edited:
Thank you!! I THINK that clears up my confusion. The part of that site I found was not that clear.

Judging from that, if I understand it correctly, as long as the bike has more than 7500 miles on it, and it can pass an inspection (still no idea what that would entail), I can bring it into CA whether I'm already living there or not.

My assumption would be that it would be next to impossible to bring (or build) a highly modified (turbo busa for instance) into CA?

Thank you!! I THINK that clears up my confusion. The part of that site I found was not that clear.

Judging from that, if I understand it correctly, as long as the bike has more than 7500 miles on it, and it can pass an inspection (still no idea what that would entail), I can bring it into CA whether I'm already living there or not.

My assumption would be that it would be next to impossible to bring (or build) a highly modified (turbo busa for instance) into CA?

They check the VIN#...
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a Ca model. Look on the sticker on the throttle side on the frame. Either says EPAXXXXXX or EPA and California emissions compliant..

Registering an out of state bike in Cali isn't as difficult as some make it out to be. They are required to have the CA emission compliant sticker but check this out, they are non-CA bikes right? so why in the hell would they have the CA compliant sticker to begin with? Through all my dealings with CA DMV it was very clear that their primary focus was always on that blank check sitting on top of the paperwork.

Both of my Busas were out of state, neither had the CA emissions compliant sticker and neither had 7,500 miles, both were inspected and registered at my local DMV office.

Last edited:
Back