Mixed Tires

Dulimon

Registered
Just a thought - Would running a softer compound tire up front than the rear tire help when cornering or any other benefits/downfalls. Just wondering because if front tire grip is the weaker point when the chassis is upset when cornering and a front skid is likely then why not increase adhesion in the front. Might be a bad idea or food for thought. Any thoughts or opinions???

<!--EDIT|Dulimon
Reason for Edit: None given...|1090170836 -->

I'm also considering softer in the front. But because of steep downhill twisty canyons. I do a lot of entry braking while going downhill. Only downside should be faster wear.

stick with one brand until u switch out both.. im not sure but having 2 types of compounds.. one might lose traction b4 the other at a unpredictable rate. and wouldnt u want the stickier tire in the back? since when u are on the throttle in a corner and loading the rear up? just .02

All depends, you can control how much you throw to the rear exiting the corner. I can tear up soft compounds in the rear in 1200 miles. But having a sticky tire on the front can save you if you enter to hot/braking/steep downhill. I've run mixed tires since my first rear weared out. If you ride the track and push it to the limit, then yes you want matched tires. But the average Joe having fun in the canyons doesn't.

I am about to find out myself, putting on a harder compound rear (Avon Azaro 46) tonight and leaving the front as is for now (stock Bridgstone) and in about 1000 miles, going to a soft front. Will be posting here for sure re: the new Avon's twisty performance.

i used to always have a metzeller m1 in front and a m2 in the back
M1 is softer than M2
I liked that setup
I prefer to have the back to go first than the front

Watch out for mixed brands. Like shoes, each companies size X may not be the same as another company's size X. You might negatively change the ride height and thereby change the steering characteristics.

You don't want to mix brands. And you should not mix tires that are designed for different purposes as in sport tires and touring tires even if they are the same brand. Sport, Sport Touring, and Touring tires are all designed for different types of riding and heat up at different rates. As far as running different compounds they either need to be the same front and rear or 1 compound softer the front. Never run a softer compound on the rear. You can control rear tire slippage when driving out of a corner. If you run a harder compound on the front you risk low siding going into a turn which you can't save. And that's going to hurt.

Back