Mirror

Imp66

Registered
I'm looking to experiment with some LED lighting on a mirror, so I picked up a used one, but anyone know how to get it apart?

Break it and then replace....could never get mine off until I just had to break out the mirror part ....lol

look up mirror threads, one of the members makes Kanji insets with stock mirrors, adds LED's and puts them back together.

He used to cut the mirrors plastic at the seam just behind the edge, then he would epoxy or rtv them back together. When I did the LCD monitors in mine, I broke out the glass and installed new 2way mirror.

mirrors.jpg

Put the mirror (plastic part) in really hot water for 5 minutes.
then use flat and dull knife to pry mirror out. When you done with whatevet you was doing with it... hot water again.... and start with corner of the glass part moving to the sides.
I did it that way and it works just fine. Of course I broke first glass learning...
smile.gif

Heat, and there are two small holes on the bottom to "poke" it out with.  Dont push to hard it will "break" easy.  If you do break it it's easier to trace it and have a new one cut and "wedge" back in then it is to get it out.

Cut it and RTV it on the seam, then paint the whole mirror,  You would neva know.

Ref the etching of the silvering on the back of the mirror.  Do it in "stripes" not ENTIRE removal of the target area.  Stripes allow the light to be visible without being seen...

Diag stripes/lines are better than verticle.  Inside to outside is even better.  Looks like a mirror at that point and not a "hole".

Get real creative and have a 3d pattern etched into it from the back side.  Paint it with translucent colored paint then light it up then cover the area with protectent wax or hot glue to keep moisture out.  This will darken the area behind the hole then put it all back together.  Under the boot put a "plug" so you can remove the mirror and wires.

Then when it's litup you will have "color" with your flashing turnsignal.  If your good you can have Scenerey..

Just as an example.  Small leaves all the way around the edge of the mirror painted in trans. green with shadows etc or flowers, then have each one of them "FLASH" for your signal.  The translucent green would only be visible when the bright LED is off and not lit up, the color of the LED would take precident when flashing and then you have a regular turn signal.

used to do it with making chess boards, large mirrors on headboards and dressors etc.

JD

<!--EDIT|ICEMANN
Reason for Edit: None given...|1132259450 -->

Back