Million Dollar Highway

Maybe coming from someone living in Michigan.....but I lived in CO for nearly 18 years.....wouldn't move back for the same reason I hate living where I am now.....WINTER!! BAHHUMBUG!! :laugh: After living in FL for nearly 4 years and having the locals look at me cross-eyed because I was wearing shorts year round, I would give up my 4 seasons for 2 1/2 in a heartbeat. Ideally....I would transfer within my company to our NC plant which is about an hour from Robbinsville. Sure they might get a bit of snow here and there, but they don't get the nasty cold spells we get here that put us in temps at 20 below or worse....for the daily highs!! I don't mind riding in the cold but sub zero temps cut my riding at least 2 months out of the year. Depending on the ice that lingers on the roads it may be another 1-2 months of ride time lost. I'd ride this week still but the bike is in pieces for winter mods.

If I could move the roads from NC/TN and CO/CA to say.....Guam.....that would be perfect! :rofl:

I could see the appeal of NC. I'm not a summer person though, above 85 and I'm whining up a storm. I'll trade that for snow anytime. But, I also have indoor hobbies too, so I have things to occupy my time in the winter... and I ride my dirtbike on the ice too so a little cold and snow won't stop me. :D

3242543806_e996334c39.jpg

I've driven up Pikes Peak before, too. I'd say it's 3/4 paved now. Every year they pave a bit more, making the hillclimb race less exciting but still awesome to watch.

574174008_5496b375b4.jpg

574484095_6bf7fbe67a.jpg

Everybody definitely needs to head up there at least once. I hear the cog train ride is pretty cool too. I was there in the middle of June, and as that photo shows, there was still snow on the ground at the summit!

Last edited:
I've driven up Pikes Peak before, too. I'd say it's 3/4 paved now. Every year they pave a bit more, making the hillclimb race less exciting but still awesome to watch.

Luci won't be on that road until its paved all the way to the top.

If you have heart or breathing issues, avoid Pike's Peak. Not much air to breath at 14,000 ft.

Been there, Done that. I went out to Colorado 4 years ago with the webmaster from Bandit Alley, Big Pete. We camped in Ouray and this was the first road I rode in Colorado. Really nice road with beautiful scenery.

I would be willing to pull the Busa down from WA for a ride next year. I have not been back to Colorado on a bike since 98 when we moved up here. This would be an off the hook ride!

Wow. That road looks amazing. Anyone have any pics on this road?

Reminds me of parts of Hwy 50 into Lake Tahoe.

Here's a couple a vids and pics.

- RoXX 09 Million Dollar Highway[/url]

- RoXX 09 Million Dollar Highway II[/url]

100_4061d.jpg

100_4061e.jpg

100_4061q.jpg

100_4077.jpg

100_4078.jpg

100_4082.jpg

100_4082b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Love that road.... Been there on all my bikes! Also, where I had my million dollar flat tire! :poke:

I have always wanted to stay in that cabin for a couple of nights! Just overwhelming how beautiful that area is.

i'd definately do it! i've done Mt. Washington plenty of times and its a blast.

- Hayabusa Going Down Mt.Washington[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Busaone "Mike" and I rode over 1k miles in Colorado while there for the M&G in 2005. We did most of what we planned inspite of less than ideal weather conditions that week.

Florida colorado 2005 017a (Large).jpg

I feel the same way, the twisties look great but the 100+ foot drop offs, not so much.

:laugh:

Drop offs ???

Keep it on the road...we have thousands of miles of roads like that out here in the West.

And we get to ride most of them year round :thumbsup:

I've ridden it many times, great road. I even rode it at night in February once in the snow. Got over Red Mountain pass before sundown, then it started snowing as the sun went down and I still had to get over coal bank and molas passes. Was a very long 20 miles :(.

Back