Million Dollar Highway

Dino

VERITAS - AEQUITAS
Donating Member
Registered
Last edited by a moderator:
I saw the show, and that road is something else. Part of me wants to ride it bad, and another part of me says no way!

everytime I go to Durango to visit my family, I make that loop...the best time is end of September thru 1-2nd week of October if you like fall colors:thumbsup:

I saw the show, and that road is something else. Part of me wants to ride it bad, and another part of me says no way!

I feel the same way, the twisties look great but the 100+ foot drop offs, not so much.

I rode it two months ago....... It's a must on your list of roads to ride, but not in the snow, Duh! :thumbsup:

I've been wanting to ride that road ever since I read about it in a magazine 20+ years ago, but haven't made the Durango/Silverton trip.

It sounds like a fun road to ride. May just have to put it in my route when I head back east in july. :thumbsup:

When we still lived in NM we would go up to Ouray Co and take that rode... OMG, you have not seen heaven till you have done this road. If you go, take your time as there are a lot of things to see:

Durango Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
Bachelor Syracuse Silver Mine (Nat Geo 10 best sites in America to see)
Town of Ouray (Can you say hot springs)
Alpine Loop (back country road that will take you over Eng Pass at 14K and drop you into Silverton. A+ 4x4 road in summer)
Montrose: Great burgers and is where True Grit was filmed
Telluride: When in Ouray it is on the other side of the mountain and a beautiful 40 minute drive.

Great lodging in Ouray and a wonderful place to base a series of rides out of!

I live about 45min from Durango. Its a must ride!! We do it several times a year then over to Telluride and back into Farmington from the west. Put it on your list of roads / trips.

while in Durango, don't forget about Carvers...Iron Horse Oatmeal Stout...mmmmmmmm:thumbsup:
Scotspics089.jpg

or while in Silverton, visit the Old Hundred mine
Scotspics099.jpg

(me & bluehaya )

I go to the dillon/breck area all the time for work, got to experience Durango/Ouray for the first time 2 weeks ago, including that particular road. Incredible. Anybody who wouldn't want to live in Colorado needs their head examined.

Wow. That road looks amazing. Anyone have any pics on this road?

Reminds me of parts of Hwy 50 into Lake Tahoe.

I have done that rode many times and most recently at the Colorado M&G. It is a must see if you are in Colorado. Would really like to see another Colorado M&G organized. It just does not get any better. Drew. :thumbsup:

Bike & colorado 2005 pics 065a.jpg

Anybody who wouldn't want to live in Colorado needs their head examined.
Maybe coming from someone living in Michigan.....but I lived in CO for nearly 18 years.....wouldn't move back for the same reason I hate living where I am now.....WINTER!! BAHHUMBUG!! :laugh: After living in FL for nearly 4 years and having the locals look at me cross-eyed because I was wearing shorts year round, I would give up my 4 seasons for 2 1/2 in a heartbeat. Ideally....I would transfer within my company to our NC plant which is about an hour from Robbinsville. Sure they might get a bit of snow here and there, but they don't get the nasty cold spells we get here that put us in temps at 20 below or worse....for the daily highs!! I don't mind riding in the cold but sub zero temps cut my riding at least 2 months out of the year. Depending on the ice that lingers on the roads it may be another 1-2 months of ride time lost. I'd ride this week still but the bike is in pieces for winter mods.

If I could move the roads from NC/TN and CO/CA to say.....Guam.....that would be perfect! :rofl:

Last edited:
BTW - anyone that does make it to the Rockies has to ride to the sky - Pikes Peak outside of Colorado Springs.....100' drop offs....those are berms compared to some of the drop offs on the Peak if you go over the edge. About half the road is paved, the other is hard packed dirt - just don't go after a recent storm and you'll be good. :thumbsup: My mom lives there and we're scheduled to go out to Denver next July for a convention (wife's)....trying to con her into letting the bike go with so I can de-convetion. :laugh:

Great road. Definitely commands respect. I've been over it in a car. Plan on doing it next summer on the Busa.

Back