Michelin Pilot Powers

I work in the tire sales industry....mail order. If there is one thing that burns me it is people that watch DATELINE and then call us and demand a tire that was made in the last three weeks. THAT DOESN'T HAPPEN! There are times that we get tires from the manufacturer directly was three years old on day we got it! Age does matter, but on a bike tire it doesn't you will burn it up .long before age is an issue!

Sorry for the rant...it has been a long day!:whistle:

I'll buy your 3 year old tires for 1/2 off. Considering a six year life that seems reasonable. If not, no deal, if I'm going to give top dollar for them I'll find a seller that has current production not "new old stock".

Look, I don't think you understand. Yes I check the date on all tires that I buy. What I am telling you that is if you are someone that thinks they are going to walk or call anywhere an demand tires that are 3 weeks old you are off your rocker. It does't happen. My company buys directly from the manufacturer, and if the maufacturer had made them and placed them on a truck they will probably be two months old when we get them...and that comes DIRECTLY from the manufacturer not from a wholesaler. I most definately see the issue with age, but I am telling you that the problem is most people are selling tires that are a year maybe two old. Motorcycle or not....that is not a problem at that age. It is when you buy a tire tomorrow and the production date is 15/01
then you have to worry. I am by no means saying that it is not a problem.....it is a problem and even more so on two wheels......but to be one of the people that will refuse to buy tires that are not BRAND NEW......it is foolish and unrealistic.

Look, I don't think you understand. Yes I check the date on all tires that I buy. What I am telling you that is if you are someone that thinks they are going to walk or call anywhere an demand tires that are 3 weeks old you are off your rocker. It does't happen. My company buys directly from the manufacturer, and if the maufacturer had made them and placed them on a truck they will probably be two months old when we get them...and that comes DIRECTLY from the manufacturer not from a wholesaler. I most definately see the issue with age, but I am telling you that the problem is most people are selling tires that are a year maybe two old. Motorcycle or not....that is not a problem at that age. It is when you buy a tire tomorrow and the production date is 15/01
then you have to worry. I am by no means saying that it is not a problem.....it is a problem and even more so on two wheels......but to be one of the people that will refuse to buy tires that are not BRAND NEW......it is foolish and unrealistic.

I understand all of your points.
Theory and reality are 2 different things.
For a suggestion that a tire at ½ of it’s lifespan is worth ½ as much, would be the same as going to the grocery store and telling them the carton of milk made on June 1 and expiring on June 30 is only worth ½ of the price on June 15.
Try it, it won’t fly.
Tire manufacturers make tires based on a best guess of demand and sales. If you want brand new tires, then the manufacturer would have to take orders and make a run to satisfy just that number of orders.
I for one like to buy a tire when I want it, and as such realize that it will have some “age†factor to it.
Just as the price of the milk above reflects a certain amount that has to be thrown away due to past due date, so will tire prices if everyone wants brand new ones.
Old tires should be reduced, or discarded, but if a tire lifespan is 6 years, and I will burn it off in one summer, I have to also take that into account.
If I have had a tire on my bike for 3 years and look and see the “due date†is next week, I am not going to change it just because of that.
I am convinced that the original quality of the tire needs to also be factored into this mix.
I have always used Michelins on my 4X4’s and they last a long time. I tend to buy an extra set of the ones I like and very often put on a new set that I have saved, that is 8 - 10 years old.
They have always worked fine, and I have never had any problems. I would not do this with cheap tires, but the quality of the tires I save is so good that I don’t have any problem with doing this. I also have a set on my utility trailer (which I often load up to the 5500 lb capacity) that are 20 years old , and no problems.

JMO

Back