Mega Powder-coating!

Warchild

Banned
Well, I can't get my silly-ass camera to do justice to how well this powder-coating job came out.... the flash makes the hardware look too bright.

But the fact is, the results are an almost exact much to the frame, it is amazing! The powder-coating finish is basically a cross between semi-gloss and black matte.... very, very, VERY close to matching the frame!
cool.gif

Muffler hangar brackets:

HangarBrackets.jpg

Pillion footpegs..... very nice!
bowdown.gif

PillionPegs.jpg

Left muffler hangar bracket installed....

LeftHangerInstalled.jpg

The right muffler hangar below is the best photo showing the exact match to the frame color.... awesome!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

RightHangerInstalled.jpg

Foot-brake lever and the 3 big-ass socket-head bolts (that retain the foot-peg bracket itself) also got the powdercoating treatment:

BrakeLever.jpg

Pillion foot-peg installed.... very sweet!
drools.gif

RightPillionPeg.jpg

You can see all these photos in their full, proper size by clicking right here.

Still have the shift linkage to shoot tomorrow, than I can start putting the bodywork back on this bad boy, and finally get back on the road!

What'cha think, gents.... pretty cool, huh?
cool.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

cool.gif

Awsum, but ive never seen that done before! LOL

Busa_2_009.jpg

I have been wanting to powdercoat my rears. How much was it to do?
It cost me a six-pack of brewski.
cool.gif

My buddy has a power-coating machine and an oven. I did the prep work.... similar to auto-paint, the preparatory work can make or break the successful outcome of a powder-coating job. Lots of sanding and sand-blasting to get the original (bright) Suzuki powder-coating off the hardware, then a pain-staking cleaning job to ensure the powder adheres properly.

The job came out pretty cool, I think....
thumb_up.gif

That is sweet I bought a machine a few weeks ago, haven't had time to try it but hope it comes out that good. I'll be doing alot of projects after Chritmas, and post up the results.

Very nice, that's the way it should come from the factory, those silver passenger peg's and front set's don't match anything on the bike, good job
thumb_up.gif

sand blasting
thumb_down.gif
"media" blasting
thumb_up.gif

was told that "silica" based media was to much trouble for powder coating and that walnut shell was a lot better... True?

sand blasting
thumb_down.gif
"media" blasting
thumb_up.gif

was told that "silica" based media was to much trouble for powder coating and that walnut shell was a lot better... True?
The "sand" is actually aluminum oxide.... it's my understanding that the glass bead media does a better job of "cleaning" than it does at actually removing old powdercoat and any previous plating/metal finish.

However, as I mentioned above, it is critical that a really, really, REALLY thorough job of cleaning is performed after the sand-blasting. This is key to a good powder-coating result. If one doesn't do the cleaning step correctly, the powdercoat can end up looking like moist ass.
winkold.gif

Paint stripper before sand blasting is much faster way to do that.

As you said, preparation is the key. Nice job.
beerchug.gif

the flash makes the hardware look too bright.
I think the coating and the pics came out good, but as for the flash, try holding your finger over the flash, or if it is one of those that pop up, just hold it down when you snap the pic. This has worked for me when the flash kept screwing up the image.  My
2cents.gif

I need to get my tail in gear and get mine sent to Vic... or start cutting up trees from the ice storm.... decisions.......

Back