Mechanic School pt. 2

Delgado

Formerly known as KAI
Registered
There is a thread but it was a tad different from what I was looking for and didn't want to hijack the guys thread. OK get ready for the
boohoo.gif
boohoo.gif

I'm having a bit of a career 'crisis' I guess and am looking for something to do. I'm still pretty young and would hate to waste more time than I already am not pursuing a path. Recently been thinking about going to a mechanic school for bikes. Tried doing the car thing but its a bit more complex and my back isn't as strong as it used to be due to not lifting properly when working at the airport..

Wanted to get some input from the guys who are currently mechanics whether its for Suzuki or not, and wanted to read some opinions about it? Is it a seasonal type of job like it is for cars (at least down here when I worked for ford it was)? I can imagine in the winter time for you northerns it gets slow but Florida doesn't see snow. I started at tire kingdom so it kind of gave me an idea of what I was getting into, but there isn't anything like that for bikes unfortunately, at least around here there isn't.

For the guys currently in that field, is it worth getting into? This isn't something that runs in the family and its not something I grew up doing like most other people I know that are in these types of fields. Generally, how is the pay? Maybe post an average of what people make doing that? I don't want to have to work 2 jobs just to 'get by'. I'm not really a fast paced person and I understand that these types of jobs are usually flat rate which I've worked before so that isn't an issue.

I just really want to get my life going and figured this would be the best thing I can think of since nothing else is working out for me. I'm still trying to figure out what I think will be best for me so this isn't 100%. Just figured I would get an idea of what to expect. Been doing the whole 13hour / 6days a week thing for the past 4 years and can't take it anymore (family business).

If anyone has any suggestions even on what I could do, that would be nice as well.. I think I just need theropy..
dunno.gif
thumb_up.gif
pillepalle.gif

Thanks
boohoo.gif

boohoo.gif

boohoo.gif

Dang. Hope you find what you're looking for.

--Wag--

I find it's tough to give advice on situations like this, being there are too many variables to take into consideration. The only advice I have for you is, go for what you want and if it doesn't work out then you can't say you didn't try. If you do nothing the what if's will always be there. At any rate good luck, and keep us posted.

How honest and blunt do you want your answer?

You are already aware that it isn't for everyone, so that's a very good sign that you are keeping an open mind.

As with any career, you will only get out of it what you put into it. Will it be a good learning experience? Absolutely. Will you like it, will it be profitable? Who knows. You should evaluate where you see yourself in ten years, and make your decisions accordingly.

One other important note, brother: Location, location, location. Don't think because you are in Florida, you have increased odds of success. You are geographically at a disadvantage, believe it or not. Look at where the campus(es) for motorcycle, watercraft, etc. is/are located. That's right Florida. As that's the case, the shops and dealerships have a huge, almost inexhaustible labor pool, with "fresh meat" every semester. This drives down the wages for mechanics, and creates a "revolving door" employment situation (if you don't like it, there's the door). What that means to you is that you had better make the Dean's list, have some tight connections, or be prepared to relocate for better opportunities. It's the same here in Arizona, and it's a very challenging dynamic.

I'm by no means trying to talk you out of a potentially rewarding career! You should be aware of both sides of the coin.

I spent 30+ years in the auto repair industry and 10 of them as an owner.... yes there is a constant supply of fresh labor and I do not think that keeps pay rates artificially low except at the lowest levels.. I paid "competent" techs $25+ per flat rate hour and my top guys were at 50%.. These guys are how I kept my doors open

A shop is built around the guys doing the work and "skilled" guys are going to command top dollar... Any shop worth using is going to have very little turn over...

This is not to say if a guy has been there a long time he is good.... he just may show up for work every day and not totally "screw stuff up" on a daily basis..

if you are "mechanically" inclined (not something you can learn IMO) then it could take you a few years to learn the in's and out's of the occupation.. Learning to work on machines and learning how to make money are the same job but very different in execution.. I have taught a lot of guys that could work on cars "how to make money" doing it. (the work smarter thing)

I would rather take a guy fresh out of school than a guy that has been "fixing vehicles at home" any day... The learning curve is a steep one at any rate and you best be prepared for a lot of grief...

At least in FL you can work bikes and personal watercraft year round..

Back