Questions for the non-mechanically orientated like myself...wanting to buy

sticky6

Registered
Afternoon,

i have some questions about buying a new busa (bike in general). I don't know anything about mechanics my buddy back home used to service my bike when I was younger but now I'm too far away. I know I was an idiot for not learning but like I said, I'm a bit older now and wiser.

I'm looking at an '03 Busa on CL. Talked to the guy etc and the feeling is that this guy's bike is clean. It's stock, 17000miles and never dropped @5500 bucks. Getting divorced so he's selling. He said a mechanic can nit pick it buthe's confident nothing is wrong with the bike.

Ok the questions.

1.How do you check out the mechanics etc if you don't know **** what to look for ina bike? I know you guys can just listen to a motor and tell if something is wrong.
2. Since I haven't ridden in threee years (immigrated and didn't get bike license yet) I thought to have the mechanic test drive the bike for me. It'll all come back to me obviouysly since it's not the first bullet I've ridden but since I don't own it and haven't ridden for a few I don't want to test it myself. It's contrary to how you buy cars/bikes but I"m not too full of ****. If the experienced mechanic/rider says it feels right I'll go out on a limb. So...
Where do you find a trustworthy mechanic (payment obviously included) to help me out? I'm iffy about CL so should I go to a dealership?

Gear:
I'm going to finance the big boy so my cash reserves are limited at the moment. I want to get the bike before it's sold so what are some good but cheaper gear I can get to cover the basics till I can buy kevlar etc? I AM NOT GOING TO BE AN IDIOT AND RACE THE DAMN THING WHEN I GET IT. I'm scheduled for my license course and will take the more intermediate ones too. I want to ride for the love of it and not be a race maniac and die.

Please don't start arguments about this or that I just want some help on my questions. Thanks for this great site!!

I would just take it to a motorcycle shop or dealer if you don't know any mechanics in your area. Look at craigslist for cheap gear, you might fine some deals there. Good luck and :welcome:

I would just take it to a motorcycle shop or dealer if you don't know any mechanics in your area. Look at craigslist for cheap gear, you might fine some deals there. Good luck and :welcome:

This. And ya may even be able to get to ask on of the mechanics to come with ya and check it out for a few bucks, wouldnt be easy money for them.

Thanks for the reply man. I can't wait till I have my busa. I live in Colorado so you can guess where I'm taking my cruises :laugh:

So a dealership...do you know how they work? Do I tell the guy to meet me at the dealership after I set up a meeting with them and then they just charge me a fee or what?

if you're interested you should study the bike and take stuff apart and put it back together if you have time, figure out how it works..

Yeah I will have to if I want to service it etc. My problem now is to get a good mech to look at the bike and take it for a spin. Taking my license course next week Thurs/Frid and ordered some boots on sale. Haven't looked to see if they have a track here in Denver. Would like to take it there and work on some skills. Reading Twist of the Wrist 2 now.

Several good ideas about how to find a qualified person to look at it. I would talk to the dealership first and see what they are willing to do. If it is local to you I'd think they would be willing to do it pretty cheap to gain your continued business. Ideally you would know somebody who has a Busa and can check it out with you. This person would know what the bike is supposed to feel like. Make sure whoever checks it out goes full throttle in second gear as that is a weak link in the Gen-1.

My brother is in Colorado springs, he likes rocky mountain motorsports. Having a dealer do a safety check would be the way to go for you.

Thanks guys. Weak link? ****. If I take it to a dealership, would they take it for a spin too or just check it? ****it I'll call RMMS and see what they say.
What do they do about the weak link? Is there a fix for it if it is ****ed up?

Wow I didn't know saying s h i t is a no-no. :) I appreciate the advice. I contacted a mechanic on CL. Don't have a choice. Use to be tuner/mech for a racer so hopefully when we meet he knows his stuff. Either one I'll go with them depending who is reasonable to check out the bike for 30min or 1hr for me. Thanks guys.

Anything else I should look for/ask know about the gen 1?

I didn't see anyone answer your second gear question.... Second gear can start slipping out on some gen 1s. Undercutting second gear helps it to grip better. Im at 22k with no major repairs engine or tranny.

I don't personally know anyone who has had the second gear issue. But from what I hear most have it undercut after the issue has surfaced and need to crack open the tranny anyway.

Also, the gen I has only one rad fan factory. Has been heard of in heavy traffic to heat up but there are fixes for that as well.

To be honest I wouldnt trust a dealership. Just to many bad expierences with them when I was younger.
Some basic things to look and listen for if your not a mechanic.
First arrival of the bike, feel the engine cases before even starting the bike. Se if it was started and ran before you go there. Should be cold. Some engine issues will make noise when they are cold. Start the bike up and instantly look at the exhaust, blue smoke? or no smoke?
Look where the bike was parked,, any leaks around? oil anti freeze? Look at the chain is it clean or does it look a dirtbike chain after a black water competition? Hopefully its clean and adjusted properly (shows maintanence) Look up under the rear fender, do you see burnt rubber dingle berries? Sign of burnouts abuse etc. There are many other things that would show possible negelect and abuse to the trained eye. Those are the visual things.
Gear on a tight budget. You can shop and get some great deals on boots, jacket and pants (depending if your an average build guy and not very tall or .......... fat. I would not buy a used helmet since you dont know if it was dropped or not. No reason why you shouldnt be able to get boots, pants jacket and gloves for under 400.00 IMO you can get an afforable HJC helmet that is worth the cost for the safety.
Remember you dont have to be racing to go down and eat pavement. Since you havent been on a bike in a few years and you plan on riding the rockies I would as you stated be wise and have the proper gear before you hit the road on the "Big Boy" as you stated.
3 years and dont want to hit the bike for a test ride, its like a bicycle once you learn you dont forget. Good luck.

I didn't see anyone answer your second gear question.... Second gear can start slipping out on some gen 1s. Undercutting second gear helps it to grip better. Im at 22k with no major repairs engine or tranny.

I don't personally know anyone who has had the second gear issue. But from what I hear most have it undercut after the issue has surfaced and need to crack open the tranny anyway.

Also, the gen I has only one rad fan factory. Has been heard of in heavy traffic to heat up but there are fixes for that as well.

Thank you man. I just saw the 2003 one I was looking at is no longer available. The only other potential candidate is the black/grey 2008 busa with 12300miles. The guy has the spare key and cowl and owners manual. Once I figure out my mechanic problem I'll go look at it. I hate insurance Geico want to charge me 97 bucks p/m for the 2008. Probably full coverage because it's financed. That sucks.

To be honest I wouldnt trust a dealership. Just to many bad expierences with them when I was younger.
Some basic things to look and listen for if your not a mechanic.
First arrival of the bike, feel the engine cases before even starting the bike. Se if it was started and ran before you go there. Should be cold. Some engine issues will make noise when they are cold. Start the bike up and instantly look at the exhaust, blue smoke? or no smoke?
Look where the bike was parked,, any leaks around? oil anti freeze? Look at the chain is it clean or does it look a dirtbike chain after a black water competition? Hopefully its clean and adjusted properly (shows maintanence) Look up under the rear fender, do you see burnt rubber dingle berries? Sign of burnouts abuse etc. There are many other things that would show possible negelect and abuse to the trained eye. Those are the visual things.
Gear on a tight budget. You can shop and get some great deals on boots, jacket and pants (depending if your an average build guy and not very tall or .......... fat. I would not buy a used helmet since you dont know if it was dropped or not. No reason why you shouldnt be able to get boots, pants jacket and gloves for under 400.00 IMO you can get an afforable HJC helmet that is worth the cost for the safety.
Remember you dont have to be racing to go down and eat pavement. Since you havent been on a bike in a few years and you plan on riding the rockies I would as you stated be wise and have the proper gear before you hit the road on the "Big Boy" as you stated.
3 years and dont want to hit the bike for a test ride, its like a bicycle once you learn you dont forget. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply man. I wrote those things to look for down. When I do the mechanic to look at it I'll note that for myself so I don't look like a total dumbass. I'm sure there are guys who take care of their bikes very well and are honest when they sell but **** without a mech with a trained eye it's impossible to tell. And if I end up with a bike that has issues, then I'm f***ed. I don't have the cash reserves to blow if the bike needs something major done, also why I'm financing. Finding the right one is a crappy process.

I'm making some progress though. Taking my MSF course this week to get the license waiver for the dmv so I finally get my motorcycle license in the US. I found a thread here that a guy posted to boots on sale and bough a pair for 40bucks. really good deal. The rest are still coming.

I appreciate you guys' inputs.

Back