Whacky idea for Mechanically challenged

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
I may get a nice bonus this year and rather than do mods....(I think my busa is quite fast in its stock mode) I was thinking of hiring a Busa mechanic for a day long or weekend long "consulting" job to teach me how to work on a Hayabusa.

I can do the easy stuff like get the left and right fairings off and change the oil and filters. But am unable to do some of the things you wrench-gifted types do...like throttle body adjustments, finding and detecting faulty Starter Interlock Relays and Tilt sensors....yikes....I'd blow my seabiscuit up in no time. I'm not talking really advanced stuff but definitely above the beginners level.

So what do you folks think? $750 CASH for a day long tutorial? Is this stupid? Would any mechanic take me up on such an offer? He'd have to bring his own tools....
Am I insane? I just hear so many horror stories from you guys/gals...I'd love to learn to work on my bike myself but need a tutor...kind of like a personal trainer.

ummm yeah I can show you lots of stuff for 750 a day.. No guarantees on the info being correct though
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Not a bad idea! I bet you could get it for less though. Before offering that much you should ask how much they would charge for a days instruction.

I'm sure you can get one for the going rate at a shop, ala 50 dollars an hour. Might be good way for a mechanic to make some extra dough..
cool.gif

You've got a service manual (or at least should have one by now). There is no better way to learn how to fix a bike, than to actually fix it.

I could show you how to work on a bike all day, but there's also no guarantee you would learn anything.
biggrin.gif

Just overcome that fear of tearing into the beast. You have this forum here to ask questions for free.
wink.gif
thumbs-up.gif

You've got a service manual (or at least should have one by now). There is no better way to learn how to fix a bike, than to actually fix it.

I could show you how to work on a bike all day, but there's also no guarantee you would learn anything.
biggrin.gif

Just overcome that fear of tearing into the beast. You have this forum here to ask questions for free.
wink.gif
thumbs-up.gif

Yep, what he said.

The best way to learn is to do.
Get a manual, start small and work your way up. That's how I learned, but I did start years ago with a Honda 90.

When a got my Yam. 426 about 2 years ago, the first thing I did was get a manual, took it apart to re-grease everything and put it back together, and No parts left over  
beerchug.gif

Take your time, you will learn a LOT more.

I have had my Busa about 6 months, and have had most of it apart just so I could learn the bike better. Not a Busa expert by a long shot, but I feel more comfortable with the bike.

just my .02 worth.

Ride safe  
eyes.gif

Here's some encouragement. Despite a radio falling on my desk and mixing up all of the bolts and parts I had layed out and labeled, I still managed to get the bike together without missing anything.
thumbs-up.gif

roll_05.jpg

Just remember...That $50-$60 per hour at the shop IS NOT all going to the mechanic. They might make $20-$25 per hour, if that. If you have a good relationship with your local shop, then talk to the mechanic on the side and see what he/she would be willing to do, and for what price. You would be surprised at how willing some are to earn some extra money...tax free cash...on the side. You would have to accomodate their schedule and you may even need to supply some of the tools.

A mechanics roll around toolbox is very large and heavy. Don't expect them to haul it around just for you. You can pick up a nice mechanics tool set from Home Depot/Lowes for around $300, and then just ask the mechanic to bring any "special" tools. If you're going to work on your own bike, then you will need your own tools anyway.

Download the service manual and start reading through the sections to see how involved the work is. Go to the scheduled maintenance chart and start reading through each service required. This would be your basic starting point.

If you're worried about messing up your busa, then you could always go to a salveage yard, and buy a salvage bike for cheap, then tear into it and practice your mechanical skills. When you're comfortable tearing the junk bike apart and putting it back together, then you can start on the busa. This way, if you screw up the salvage bike, then there's really no loss, and the investment is easily recovered in the amount of mechanical experience you have gained.

Good Luck! Just take it slow and learn it right the first time. It will pay off for years to come.

biggrin.gif

The way I learned to work on engines when I was in High School was to buy a Chilton's manual, then tear the engine apart in my car. After pulling the engine, tearing it apart, then re-installing it with performance parts, I had a really fast car, although I had about 10 bolts left over.
wow.gif

Never could figure out where they went, but I never had any problems.

The shop where I take my bikes to encourages you to stay and watch him work on your bike! He wants you to learn how to do your own maintenance checks and repairs, but he advises you to bring the more complex jobs to him.

Since I have lot's of free time, I hang out at his shop and watch him work. I don't think I really learn a lot, but I do see that you are not going to blow-up your bike by working on it. Be sides, if I screw up, I can take the pieces to the shop and have it put together right.
smile.gif

The shop where I take my bikes to encourages you to stay and watch him work on your bike!  He wants you to learn how to do your own maintenance checks and repairs, but he advises you to bring the more complex jobs to him.
THAT'S the way ALL shops/dealers should be. I always advise people to find small performance shops and talk to the owners.

I can go to a few local performance shops here, park my bike in their shop, use their tools, play around with engines they have apart. It's great.

Dealers are just the opposite. They treat you like you are an idiot. Feed you lines of BS, expecting you not to know any better. They have big signs telling, 'NO CUSTOMERS IN SHOP AREA!' And they tell you it'll take a whole week to do a simple 30 minute operation.

Come on! If everyone learned how easy it is to do their own maintenance, dealers would be out of business and we'd have nothing but performance shops with really cool owners running them.
smile.gif

But, unfortunately, that'll probably never happen.
sad.gif

babuski
you live right in my neighborhood if you ever need advice or help wrenching on your baby drop me a line!! Ive had my entire busa apart many times and have a small repair shop in my garage. I do all the work to friends and their friends bikes. and sometimes its major work, I prety much know all the people at the local bike shops so parts arent a problem. and like every one said get a manual if you cant download it ill burn you a copy its a lifesaver!!! and dont blow your 750 for something that should cost you the pizza and beer
smile.gif

later
T

ps my e mail is holeshott@comcast.net

Well I'm no ASE certified guy  but heres my breakdown with a simple hand tool set and borrowed special tools from a buddy ,and a jack  ....My opinion is that you will never get what you need to know in one day of instruction , it will take time , patience and hands on experience  to learn and become confident in your OWN work and nobody can teach you that . Get the manual and start off with small jobs and work your way up invest in a good set of tools  (especially a GOOD torque wrench ) and just dont overstep your boundaries . I have worked on everything from lawnmowers to Hondas to  diesel trucks and mechanics are all the same principle , just take your time and do it . There is no bigger satisfaction than doing it yourself and knowing that it was done Right and by the book becuase you did it yourself

I am one of those who has an OPEN SHOP rule
drooling3.gif

But to answer your question.......
I am a doer not a teacher so I could not help you but I will say this my knowlage is worth way more than 100.00 an hour

<!--EDIT|Johnnycheese
Reason for Edit: None given...|1072996892 -->

Thanks ladies and gentleman...as always, you have provided me with great input. The consensus seems to be to try and learn by doing....and that is how I will proceed. I will start small (I can do the oil, filter and fairings....wow what a talent!!)

Now about tools......I was eyeing a good torque wrench as NYRICAN suggested. Now what type guys....there are now several types.....one that works like a ratchet wrench and the old type. Which do you suggest?

What other tools would you suggest?

Narcissus....that disassembly scares me....I would imagine as my busa ages...I will be less intimitated with tinkering....but its still too new for me to tear it all apart. (besides it runs great and has never given me any trouble)

busafr.....Elmwood Park is pretty close.....perhaps when the weather warms.....we'll hook up. And if your skills are good....you deserve more than a pizza and beer!!!!

Narcissus....that disassembly scares me....I would imagine as my busa ages...I will be less intimitated with tinkering....but its still too new for me to tear it all apart. (besides it runs great and has never given me any trouble)
So does mine. Then again, I'd completely tear down a brand new bike with 0 miles just like that without thinking twice about it.
biggrin.gif

Back