Measuring chain tension play

BentValve

Alive & enjoying it!
Donating Member
Registered
The manual states that .8 to 1.2 slack is within specs.  Ive always pulled down firmly then pressed up firmly at the center of the chain to get the measurement, but after getting the Busa I read one suggestion to only go up to get the measurement, the result is a pretty loose chain.
Today I tightened it back up to my old method and I am going to try that out...its pretty snug in comparison to what it was.

How do you measure your chain tension?

<!--EDIT|BentValve
Reason for Edit: None given...|1115636289 -->

Same as your first one. measure from pressing all the way down to all the way up in the center of the chain.

The illustration in the manual (page 71 in mine) for chain adjustment clearly indicates that it's the total amount of play both up and down, so use your old method - it's the right one.

Welp I am loosening mine up a tad...I CAN get an inch of play with some force but I think its too tight now.

Anyone else care to comment?

Mine was very loose when I adjusted it for the first time and I kept it at the higher end of the adjustment of around 1.2 inches....I checked my buddies chain on his GSX-R 750 and it was loose as hell, and he insisted he read his manual and said 2 inches of play....but that seemed excessive....

Anyway, I try and keep it no tighter than 1 inch and try to hit 1.2 inches...But I would imagine that even 1.5 would be fine....

Back