Chain adjustment question

Stilslo

Registered
I did search before posting, but couldn't find my exact answer. I have 2200 miles on the busa and have not adjusted the chain because it was in specs. I thought this was odd, new chains strech a lot in the first 1k miles. I have always held a tape at the top of the chain, pushed up and measured the top and that was it. It occurred to me maybe I was doing this wrong. I pulled down hard on the chain and measured and then again on the top and had almost 2". Have I always measured wrong, do you pull down slack first? Be kind:please:

The top of the chain should be tight and the slack measured on the bottom, midway between the sprockets.
It needs to be done with YOU sitting on the bike(off of the kickstand), or someone who weighs the same as you do.
With practice you'll be able to sit on the bike and reach down to check the slack.
Get off and adjust accordingly, get back on and re-check it.
Depending on your weight, suspension setup, and riding style(agressive or cruising), all will play a part in how long it takes a new chain to stretch.:beerchug:

Thanks for the reply, looking at it again my post is confusing. I do measure at the bottom in the middle, but my question is do you measure the chain pushed as far down as you can and then as far up as you can or as its sitting and strait up?

It will move the same amount up or down.
I guess I'm still confused at the question:laugh:

As sixpack said measure the bottom part midway between the sprockets.You can do it sitting on bike and leaning over or get a mate to do it sitting on bike or vice versa
Pick up the chain and if you can lift by about an inch or one and a half thats cool
If you can lift it to the swinging arm then it needs a bit of tightening.If its tight that's really not good!
I dont think bikes are generally as sensitive to loose chains as some manuals and people might think but thats just my experience.I can usually tell on the sidestand .
Depends how you ride ,mileage etc but those general guides serve me ok

The top of the chain should be tight and the slack measured on the bottom, midway between the sprockets.
It needs to be done with YOU sitting on the bike(off of the kickstand), or someone who weighs the same as you do.
With practice you'll be able to sit on the bike and reach down to check the slack.
Get off and adjust accordingly, get back on and re-check it.
Depending on your weight, suspension setup, and riding style(agressive or cruising), all will play a part in how long it takes a new chain to stretch.:beerchug:

Good info the only trick I'll add is that as you put miles on the chain it's a good idea to roll it a little and make several measurements.

Back