Master Link Rivet- How to?

stnick

Registered
I got my new chain yesterday ( DID ZVM2 ) I used my buddies Motion Pro kit and all went well until I went to rivet the heads of the master link. His kit is missing the tool(pick) for this final step in the install. No dealer in my area has one in stock.
Has anyone devised a way to do this w/o the tool?
Thanks in advance,
Nick Nichols

really all you need is the "masher" if you want to call it that...

make SURE you have the little spacer doohicky installed between the outside link and the chain.. Looks sort of like a retarded "M" (it is actually a spacer plate that protects the orings when riveting the master and came in a small plastic package with the master link)

you have the new master link in hand with 2 orings installed
Liberally lube the link ends (chain holes too) with lube supplied with chain
Push the new master through the chain ends until it bottoms out
put the other 2 new orings on the master

now the outside link plate goes on and the "M" thing goes between the link plate and the chain..(it will go around the o-rings)

the purpose is to keep you from mashing the outside link plate too far down on the orings.. (The "M" thing sets the gap between the link plate and the chain thus protecting the orings from getting mashed into oblivion)

you can then proceed to give the rivets the appropriate mash job without much worry about "too much"

If this does not make sense, i will see if I have the parts around to shoot some pics for you..

I've got the master link, O rings, grease and final side plate installed, what I need is a way to rivet or brad the 2 master link pins that hold the side plate on. On the DID chain, the pins I'm riveting are actually hollow for about a 1/16th of an inch. This hollow is to allow the Motion Pro tool / pick to flare the pins and hold everything together... at least that's what I think.
I thought about using a big "c" clamp but I'm not sure if it is strong enough.

If I had the chain off the bike it would be simple to brad the pins on my anvil with a ball penned hammer. I just can't quite get my bike laying over my anvil... LOL

Nick

Lazy me... all I had to do wa go to the Motion Pro web site and look up the directions in their tech section. I had the right part all along. Never hurts to read something other than Sport Rider and Car and Driver occasionally.
Thanks Mr.Bogus for going to the trouble of taking a picture for me and thanks to you Omslaw.

Now I've Sunday to look forward to.

Nick Nichols

thumb_up.gif

Back