Marines

wow so much to say so little time ha ha. Hopefully he is in support in stead of the front. Although some support is at the front, I know. Always try to be aware of what is going on around you and remember the training. Don't volunteer anything and come back alive!! Surround your self with good friends, these people will save your life and make for memories for years to come. Stay away from the idiots!

(vincent @ Jan. 03 2007,03:29) What exactly does he do? Sounds like he was home on boot leave and trying to sound important. Please don't take this the wrong way but there is a lot of information that is missing.
All I ever heard before any of my deployments until within about a month of actual departure date was "We will be leaving during the time frame of...". Normally we don't like talking about when we are going where because of security issues.
+1

Sounds to me like he was trying to find "Susie R.C." before leave ended.

If he's shipping off to the "next step" then he doesn't know what his unit is, save the possibility of orders that have been cut directing him to his duty station and the unit's name and who to report to. It's entirely possible he's not even 100% sure of his MOS at this point, as I believe they are still informed of that during MCT which is after Boot Camp and it's possible he hasn't attended that instruction yet.

We were also normally not told too far in advance, though I spent my time between the wars. Additionally, all Marines when I was in, I can only imagine even more so post-9/11, are given periodic terrorism/counter-terrorism briefings - particularly before holiday leave and definately during Boot Camp (as a class) and MCT (prior to any liberty). As such, telling anyone what unit you are attached to, where your unit is heading, when you're heading there, or anything of the like is contrary to that instruction.

He sounds young and doesn't sound like he's hit the Fleet yet. He'll be fine when he gets a little more gungy/salty.

Back