Marines

BusaBret

Almost......
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys

A friend of my son's girlfriend is at my house tonight and is going to training before deploying to Iraq. He is a good kid and I was just wondering if any marines had any words of wisdom for him??

Come on guys talk to this fellow! He needs to hear from the ones that have been there and done that!

Instant willing obedience to orders. +1 DD Listen and HEAR, watch and SEE

(BusaBret @ Dec. 31 2006,22:00) Come on guys talk to this fellow! He needs to hear from the ones that have been there and done that!
You just did.

What kind of training? You mention future Marine - does that mean he is going to boot camp?

Its all been said pretty much,tell him to do what ever he's told without question to the best of his ability as fast as he can,and the first AND last thing out his mouth will be "SIR".

I would guess that he is in the Marine Delayed Entry Program. If that is the case he needs to learn as much as he can prior to his shipping to Basic Training.

Don

I guess that the part that has thrown me off is the future Marine and the deployment to Iraq statement... If he hasn't been to boot camp, how is he deploying to Iraq? Just because he is going to be (or I am misunderstanding and already is) a Marine, doesn't mean that he is going to Iraq immediately or even at all. I am just curious about how he knows?

Hmm yeah.. now that MC mentions it.. it does seem confusing.

Is he going to boot camp? or is he already a Marine and going to special training before deploying to Iraq?

Do what told, question AFTERWARDS.
Cardio is a must.
Self-pride and respect will get you a long ways.
Knowing when to shut up is always a good thing.
Become a sponge, absorb everything and let it out in a torrent.
Clean gear is reliable gear.

That little verticle pointy thing and the front end of a rifle is there for a reason, don't forget about it.

I'm not trying to be funny , but tell him its not a good time to be an 0311. It's not a good time to be an 03anything . Advise him to get an MOS that he can use after he gets out .

Sorry guys. He and I were well on the way to being toasted celebrating New Years when I posted this. He has finished basic and told me he was shipping out west for training before going overseas. I am not military so I am ignorant of alot of the goings on. He said he would be in California for a couple months of "Desert Training"and ship out to Iraq the first of April. Maybe ya'll know what he is talking about.

Bret,
There are a couple of steps that he will go through... when you say he finished basic, was he home for the holidays during some kind of training or was he home on leave between boot camp and his next school?  Also if he has finished boot camp he should know what his job is, did he mention that?  It would be helpful to know what he is getting into, then we could tailor some advice for him...

The process works like this -
Boot Camp = 3 months
Marine Combat Training (MCT) =1 month
or
School of Infantry = 1 or 2 months
if not infantry then he goes to his MOS school, where he will find out what unit he is in. If he doesn't know what unit he is going to, he could not possibly know when he is deploying...

Not sure if this helps...

MC,

He has just recently finished basic. He was on leave for the holidays and was shipping out today for the next step. The only thing he told me about was that he was definitely going to Iraq in April. He saw my bike and started asking questions about it and I showed him this site and told him that there were alot of active and ex military guys on here. In my less than sober state this post seemed like a good idea. Typical drunk I guess. Sorry if I offended anyone.

(BusaBret @ Jan. 02 2007,17:12) MC,

He has just recently finished basic. He was on leave for the holidays and was shipping out today for the next step. The only thing  he told me about was that he was definitely going to Iraq in April. He saw my bike and started asking questions about it and I showed him this site and told him that there were alot of active and ex military guys on here. In my less than sober state this post seemed like a good idea. Typical drunk I guess. Sorry if I offended anyone.
No, not at all - no offense taken... we are just trying to offer advice that will help...

I am a little surprised to hear that he knows when he is shipping out to Iraq - there aren't very many MOS's that can say that... as a matter of fact, the only group of Marines who know for sure (that I know of) that they will be in Iraq within a year are Marines who are assigned to one of the two UAV squadrons - cause there are only two and one is of the two is always there... just trying to be helpful... do you know if he is going ground or air?

What exactly does he do? Sounds like he was home on boot leave and trying to sound important. Please don't take this the wrong way but there is a lot of information that is missing.
All I ever heard before any of my deployments until within about a month of actual departure date was "We will be leaving during the time frame of...". Normally we don't like talking about when we are going where because of security issues.

When the pin is pulled...mr. grenade is not your friend. I am not an ex-marine but I was in the ARMY. And these days what is good for one is good for another as far as going over there is concerned.

# Friendly fire - isn't.
# Recoilless rifles - aren't.
# Suppressive fires - won't.
# You are not Superman; Marines and fighter pilots take note.
# A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.
# If it's stupid but it works, it isn't stupid.
# Try to look unimportant; the enemy may be low on ammo and not want to waste a bullet on you.
# If at first you don't succeed, call in an air strike.
# If you are forward of your position, your artillery will fall short.
# Never share a foxhole with anyone braver than yourself.
# Never go to bed with anyone crazier than yourself.
# Never forget that your weapon was made by the lowest bidder.
# If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.
# The enemy diversion you're ignoring is their main attack.
# The enemy invariably attacks on two occasions:
when they're ready.
when you're not.
# No OPLAN ever survives initial contact.
# There is no such thing as a perfect plan.
# Five second fuses always burn three seconds.
# There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.
# A retreating enemy is probably just falling back and regrouping.
# Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
# If you are short of everything but the enemy, you are in the combat zone.
# When you have secured the area, make sure the enemy knows it too.
# Incoming fire has the right of way.
# No combat ready unit has ever passed inspection.
# No inspection ready unit has ever passed combat.
# If the enemy is within range, so are you.
# The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.
# Things which must be shipped together as a set, aren't.
# Things that must work together, can't be carried to the field that way.
# Radios will fail as soon as you need fire support.
# Radar tends to fail at night and in bad weather, and especially during both.)
# Anything you do can get you killed, including nothing.
# Make it too tough for the enemy to get in, and you won't be able to get out.
# Tracers work both ways.
# A Purple Heart just proves that were you smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive.
# Murphy was a grunt.

There are hundreds of the afore mentioned "Laws"

Back