Manual Boost Controller- YES or NO

markwt

Registered
I will be running 8lbs of boost which I do not plan to change if I am on the street or track. I hear discussion of having boost creep without using a manual boost controller and also that it help eliminate that to spool up sooner. What are your thoughts on MBC's and manufacturers?

I will be running 8lbs of boost which I do not plan to change if I am on the street or track. I hear discussion of having boost creep without using a manual boost controller and also that it help eliminate that to spool up sooner. What are your thoughts on MBC's and manufacturers?

Turbos with internal gates tend to spike for a number of reasons, not the least the fact that usually the internal "flapper" wastegate valves are too small. Even pinned wide open, they can boost creep above the rating of the actuator. Those turbos -like Mitsubishi Super 16s and 20s - should at least be ported to take advantage of extra flow through the gate. Another mod that can be done in conjunction with the porting is installing a bigger flapper valve. And lastly, doing an external wastegate mod would obviously be the best way to go.

As far as boost controllers are concerned, if you are only intending on running one level of boost, you don't need one. Will a boost controller make your existing concern disappear? No. You won't find any MSBC-1s around, unless you find one used somewhere. The only decent multistage controller available are the NLR AMS series.

ex_tial_port.jpg

Where did you hear that from? If your not going to change your boost, there is no need to even have one installed.

Boost creep is a product of insufficient wastegate porting, too small of wastegate valve, or improper wastegate placement.

As long as you have a good wastegate, make sure you have a good sized signal line going to it, and you'll be golden.

apexi avc-r, you can boost by gear, change the duty cycle of the wastegate, and have separate maps for different types of fuel. or just do what frank said (probably the best idea). the turbosmart boost gauge/controller combo is pretty sweet too. it will hold your wastegate completely shut until you hit target boost, then pop it open. it reacts really fast.

Back