Is a boost gauge really needed?

runeight

why ask why
Donating Member
Registered
Mr Bogus and I had this discussion on the phone last night. If you think about it your boost is set by the spring you are using. Boost creep does come into play however.

I totally agree that Fuel Pressure and Air/Fuel gauges are required. I plan on using both. EGT is an option also.

What say you?

r8

I think if you've got everything tuned right then the only thing you have to worry about is some kind of mechanical failure. Coolant temp, Low oil pressure, fuel pressure, boost pressure would tell everything. The A/F gauge would tell you that somethings up but doesn't tell you if it's boost and/or fuel related. The EGT is again a good thing to have but doesn't tell you what's wrong (bad reading could be ignition related, fuel related, boost related, coolant related). There is a low oil pressure idiot light on the dash but by the time that thing comes on it's gonna be to late.

If everything is tested and setup right then on a daily basis I would just be worried about a/f ratio and coolant temp.

No guages on my daily ride for the last 3 years other than stock.
I think for mild applications (up to 7psi) they are not really needed.
When you're riding the boost is it really a good idea to have your head in the cockpit?
Fixating on instruments can be just as dangerous on a bike.
Just a thought.

Cheers
Ross

No guages on my daily ride for the last 3 years other than stock.
I think for mild applications (up to 7psi) they are not really needed.
When you're riding the boost is it really a good idea to have your head in the cockpit?
Fixating on instruments can be just as dangerous on a bike.
Just a thought.

Cheers
Ross
winkold.gif

r8

You won't look at the boost gauge or the AFR gauge once you get it spooled up and its climbing up in the RPMs...all you are doing is watching the road and holding on for life.... Anything more then a freeway roll on and you are paying no attention to gauges...

You won't look at the boost gauge or the AFR gauge once you get it spooled up and its climbing up in the RPMs...all you are doing is watching the road and holding on for life....  Anything more then a freeway roll on and you are paying no attention to gauges...
You should have been watching yours huh?
winkold.gif

tounge.gif

r8

You won't look at the boost gauge or the AFR gauge once you get it spooled up and its climbing up in the RPMs...all you are doing is watching the road and holding on for life....  Anything more then a freeway roll on and you are paying no attention to gauges...
winkold.gif

tounge.gif

r8
Yeah probably....it would have saved me about $10k.....LOL

You won't look at the boost gauge or the AFR gauge once you get it spooled up and its climbing up in the RPMs...all you are doing is watching the road and holding on for life.... Anything more then a freeway roll on and you are paying no attention to gauges...
winkold.gif

tounge.gif

r8
Yeah probably....it would have saved me about $10k.....LOL
I don't think he means it, ouch
wowold.gif

Assuming your boost gauge is reading correct, if you have a peak recall feature it's nice to glance at what your boost spiked to. Autometer makes a great one.

Febbikebabes006.jpg

Yeah, they look good, but don't serve much of a purpose on my set up. I think the fuel pressure is more important.
beerchug.gif

Back