Decent/cost effective gauges (FP/Boost/and possibly A/F)

Dr. Gonzo

Registered
I have an analog boost gauge now, but want to add FP to the mix. I like the idea of using electronic only so I don't have to run a fuel line to a gauge. Any that are decent, but not rediculously priced? I saw one person posted they were using the Glowshift one:

Amazon.com: GlowShift Tinted 7 Color 100 PSI Fuel Pressure Gauge: Automotive

Looks like it's in my price range and if they boost is decent I'd replace mine to match. If they're not the way to go, is there anything in that price range that's decent? Analog is OK if it's going to last twice as long and be twice as accurate. Just electronic seemed cleaner.

Thanks,
Gonz

Just occurred to me looking at their site it doesn't say anything anywhere about cycles or about being weatherproof either. Those that have them, are you mounting under the windshield to protect from the elements? My current is mounted in the fuel tank skirt. Going to call the number tomorrow and see what they say. If they're cool with getting wet think I'm ordering the 100 psi tinted fuel and 30 psi boost and call it good. Would like to order wideband too, but a bit rich for my blood.

G

I run the 100psi fuel. It's decent, reads a few psi higher than my old auto meter (non liquid filled)

Not sure if the auto meter was low or the glow shift high.

I found a picture of one of the busa on the site with a 3 gauge cluster. He has the same set up as I do. You van buy the 3 gauge holder from tiger racing.

Tiger racing bike and one of the org members bike

image.jpg

image.jpg

So talked to Glowshift sales and they said they absolutely do not recommend their gauges for motorcycles and are not in any way weather resistant. :( I really like the look of them up by the gauges though, and likely they'd be fairly protected from the elements so may just go for it and cross fingers on them lasting.

The Tiger Racing cluster plates look awesome in those picks, but only come in a 2" with the triple so either have to hog them out for 2 1/16" to fit the glowshift or just buy the 2 gauge plate that comes in a 2 1/6". As it happens the triple would cover up my gear indicator so maybe that's ok anyway. Hmm...

Thanks all for the responses!
G

I just ordered the tiger racing triple but it's back ordered for now. Just run a Dremel around it and you will be good to go.

Just my opinion but wouldn't you want to run good gauges so you can trust the information they are relaying to you? I didn't want to spend a lot but I ended up with the autometer electric fuel pressure gauge and I'm glad I did it. I understand though that a budget can dictate the decisions made for a build.

On a side note, I see you are from Appleton. Cool to see another local guy with a turbo!!!

Just occurred to me looking at their site it doesn't say anything anywhere about cycles or about being weatherproof either. Those that have them, are you mounting under the windshield to protect from the elements? My current is mounted in the fuel tank skirt. Going to call the number tomorrow and see what they say. If they're cool with getting wet think I'm ordering the 100 psi tinted fuel and 30 psi boost and call it good. Would like to order wideband too, but a bit rich for my blood.

G

I use glowshift. Fuel pressure gauge sender unit has crapped out on me twice and was never really that accurate. I got rid of it and now use a mechanical cheapo that's accurate. My A/F works fine though as does the oil pressure gauge. You can just cut a little protective window for the gauges out of plexi glass and with a hold it on with a little window cocking like this.

IMAG0758.jpg

So talked to Glowshift sales and they said they absolutely do not recommend their gauges for motorcycles and are not in any way weather resistant. :( I really like the look of them up by the gauges though, and likely they'd be fairly protected from the elements so may just go for it and cross fingers on them lasting.

The Tiger Racing cluster plates look awesome in those picks, but only come in a 2" with the triple so either have to hog them out for 2 1/16" to fit the glowshift or just buy the 2 gauge plate that comes in a 2 1/6". As it happens the triple would cover up my gear indicator so maybe that's ok anyway. Hmm...

Thanks all for the responses!
G

Don't worry about it, they work fine in the rain!

Badnblack, yeah, got to keep the spends a bit under control for now as the wife isn't too happy with the three Busas hanging out in my garage just now. :whistle: Are you in Appleton or nearby? Been talking to a couple guys about hooking up in the spring for a meet/greet. Would like to see what you got going on your turbo setup. You have Fuel Moto do your tune?

Jermzfree, thanks for the insights. Going to get the plate on order Monday and give glowshift a go. I talked to autometer and they don't recomend using their gauges on bikes open to weather either.

G

I am actually from the Milwaukee area. If you guys have a meet and greet let me know. My wife has family up by you on the fox river and we could ride up.

My bike will be getting the engine built this winter and a few things added. Win racing of Naperville IL did the initial tune and is building the motor.

I would love to see your setup sometime as well!

My dad lives in Sussex so we get down your way from time to time as well. Will send out some feelers about the meet when things warm up again. BTW, must be nice to have a build shop close to home. Fuel Moto does good tune work, but aside from all the help on the board I'm on my own up here. Only just found a shop a month ago to weld up the oil return on my pan and do some custom welding on my Plenum. Slow going, but hoping in early spring to have it done and tuned.

Later,
G

I know sussex really well. I currently live in waukesha and am from menomonee falls. The shop I take my bike it is about 3 hours away, but it's well worth it. Do you have any pictures of your bike anywhere?

Hey, been trying for the last few days to get into my garage to upload pictures or at least link to what I got out there. Board funkiness is still keeping me from getting in there though. As soon as it's worked out will post the latest. Honestly not much to look at right now. I have the turbo mounted and the oil system all setup. Fuel I think is good to go as well. Right now i'm trying to get my plenum figured out and an up-pipe built locally so I can get the intake done. After that I still have to edit my ECU to pull 4 degrees of timing and remove top speed. Somewhere in there I have to figure out the gauge situation and then it's off to get it all tuned. I'm kind of on the fence just now about dropping the 8lb spring down to a 6 since I am running stock compression (no spacer). Not sure how much farther I'll get before the snow flies so some of this may end up a spring project.

G

Couldn't you just use Flex Seal Clear on the gauges and on the wires going to the sensors and also, put something around the sensors to ensure weatherproofing? I figure if you flex seal it all, it can be peeled off if need be as well as its rubberized meaning it won't conduct electricity

Back