Boost Controller Problems...

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
My Boost Controller is Not Going Past 7-8 lbs?

I zero'd it out and it was showing the same 4-5 lbs as the low boost indicated on the boost gauge.

It will adjust appropriately up to 7-8 lbs.
Beyond that... nothing.
I was turning it two-clicks for 1 lb of boost from 4-5 through 7-8 lbs.
Once it hits the 7-8 mark... I can turn 100 clicks without any change at all.

Any ideas what the problem may be?

Does it sound like a bad controller?

Should I expect 4-5lbs indicated from a 6lb spring?

It looks like the low boost is 4-5 lbs and the max high boost is 7-8 lbs.

The angle on the pics below makes the boost guages appear to be reading about 1-2 lbs higher.

HI-BOOST
BikePics.com

LOW BOOST
BikePics.com

I thought you were doing the 4-8lbs, if 8 is the max wouldn't that be the limit you would see? Regardless of what you do beyond that?

I dunno, it's all greek to me, just glad to hear that your up and running... I take she is home? And how does she feel?
rock.gif

My wastegate is internal...I bet the 4pd spring is the issue...
evil.gif

I thought you were doing the 4-8lbs, if 8 is the max wouldn't that be the limit you would see?  Regardless of what you do beyond that?

I dunno, it's all greek to me, just glad to hear that your up and running...  I take she is home?  And how does she feel?
rock.gif
Yes, It is currently set at 8lbs on the switch for hi-boost.

However, I have a boost controller that "should" enable me to fluxuate the psi via a dial.
It is only working up to 8lbs.

I think the controller is bad.

Well Like I said Cecil I am Shooting in the dark, But....

If your Turbo is set to produce a MAX of 8lbs, how could your boost controller get beyond that regardless of how many clicks you go past 8? If 8 is the max on your Wastegate then 8 is all you will ever get, right? So you should have full range between 0-8lbs I would think and beyond that, Nothin...

In my head that makes sense but then again we could be talking toasters for all I know about turbo's beyond the basics... Where's ClearwaterBusa?

I believe Cecil has a 2 stage controller, but not sure of the brand.

Rev, The spring in the gate sets your low boost setting, but when you switch to high boost, the boost controller sets the amount of boost before the wastegate opens. Cecil and I were discussing this over lunch today....

Well Like I said Cecil I am Shooting in the dark, But....  

If your Turbo is set to produce a MAX of 8lbs, how could your boost controller get beyond that regardless of how many clicks you go past 8?  If 8 is the max on your Wastegate then 8 is all you will ever get, right?  So you should have full range between 0-8lbs I would think and beyond that, Nothin...

In my head that makes sense but then again we could be talking toasters for all I know about turbo's beyond the basics...  Where's ClearwaterBusa?
Rev,

I see where you are coming from.

The spring is the wastegate will control the initial boost setting (EI: 6 lb spring = 6 lbs of boost).

I have an additional adjustable boost controller and a switch to toggle between lo & hi boost levels.

The hi boost is set via the boost controller.

The Turbo itself is good for 20lbs... of course my motor would explode before it ever got there.

I got to see and hear 'er this afternoon~
smile.gif

Sounds saaweet.. and looks great too! I have to admit I like the way the turbo cleans up the rear by getting rid of the exhaust back there~ Although, I think I'll stick with the dual high mount look myself~ Don't think I'll ever need, or use for that matter, all the power the turbo puts on it~
tounge.gif
wink.gif

A single stage controller opperates off of manifold pressure, which means you are using the turbo as the actual air pump supply to put pressure against the wastegate. The dial on your controller is nothing more then a regulator. If you can't more boosy into it, then you have a leak somewhere.

A single stage controller opperates off of manifold pressure, which means you are using the turbo as the actual air pump supply to put pressure against the wastegate. The dial on your controller is nothing more then a regulator. If you can't more boosy into it, then you have a leak somewhere.
Thanks Frank!

I will check it out.

Cool,
thumbs-up.gif
I learned something. I like that... Thanks.

Though I am Jealous, where the hell was I and are all you Bastids off work this week???

Cecil, when do I get to take her for a Spin?

There was a small hole drilled into the banjo fitting on the top of the waste gate.
Replaced the fitting (after hours of trouble shooting) and wha-lah
biggrin.gif

Did not re-dyno at 6lbs to see if it picked up any ponies.

Did validate that the kit will produce more boost and set the second stage to about ~10 - 11lbs (hard to determine on the non-liquid filled gauge).

Johnny "Turbo" Dorbin of www.ExotiCycle.com was great.

"This bike isn't leaving till we get it right"

Thanks Johnny!

So I also take it that there are no other problems from the latest chain break...
evil.gif

Back