Man in ga kills robber

BrianKesler

Registered
I cant find the story anywhere, but a 6'6 former Marine was walking home from work, when 4 or 5 people tried to attack him.  He said that there was a girl who was punching him, and a guy who looked like he had a weapon, possibly a gun.  The guy raised the gun, but apparently it jamed.  The Marine took out a pocket knife and stabbed the girl, killing her, and also stabbed one of the other guys.  They were all caught and being charged with various crimes.  

<!--EDIT|BrianKesler
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149102179 -->

Of course after posting i found it

Cornered by thugs, ex-Marine kills 1, rejects hero label

By BILL MONTGOMERY, BETH WARREN
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 05/31/06

Thomas Autry is a former Marine corporal, but he doesn't consider himself a brave man for fighting off five assailants, one of whom died.

The soft-spoken Autry was somber Tuesday afternoon, less than 24 hours after he was attacked late Memorial Day while walking home from work at a Midtown Atlanta restaurant.

CURTIS COMPTON/Staff
(ENLARGE)
Kristie Roberts, 12, mourns the loss of her sister, Amy Martin, 17, with aunt Kim Roberts at the family's apartment Tuesday.

"I'm sorry this whole thing happened. I hate this world has gotten to the point where it is predatory," said a shaken Autry, speaking briefly to reporters from behind the screen door of his Atlanta apartment.

Police say Autry, 36, acted in self-defense when he stabbed 17-year-old Amy Martin, who died of wounds to her chest. Another alleged assailant, Christopher Daniel, 18, was in critical condition Tuesday night with stab wounds to his upper torso.

The group was part of a teenage robbery crew that had struck twice this month, authorities said.

Prowling for a victim just after 11 p.m. Monday, the group might have mistaken the tall, thin Autry for an easy mark as the waiter walked home alone after finishing a shift at Jocks & Jills, police said.

But the Desert Storm veteran, cornered by his pursuers on Penn Avenue at 4th Street, fought back with a pocket knife.

More than his military training, Autry said, "what really helped me was growing up in New York."

He said he knew to stay alert on his long walk home and turned to investigate after seeing a white cat scurry across the street. That's when he saw his attackers piling out of a dark blue 2007 Cadillac, he said.

One of the teens carried a shotgun.

"My first instinct was to run," said Autry. "Those kids were younger than me. They caught me and cornered me. It was about life preservation."

Atlanta police homicide Detective Danny Stephens said that during the chase, Autry was trying to get into his backpack to get the knife, which slowed him down.

As he ran, Autry repeatedly yelled "Fire," which Stephens said attracted the attention of nearby residents, who called 911.

Cornered, Autry kicked the shotgun from the hands of one attacker and stabbed Martin and Daniel. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol but it misfired, Stephens said.

The attackers ran back to the Cadillac and drove to Atlanta Medical Center, where police arrested them.

Police say Autry suffered a cut to his hand. His right index finger was bandaged but he declined to discuss his injuries.

Martin's 17th birthday was earlier this month. Relatives said she was dating one of the boys who was arrested. A 10th- grader at Grady High, Martin was scheduled to take a final exam in social studies Tuesday, relatives said.

Early police reports indicated Martin was pregnant but the autopsy concluded otherwise, according to the Fulton County Medical Examiner's office.

Autry sighed with relief after learning the teenager was not pregnant. "That really makes me feel a whole lot better that she wasn't with child," he said. "I'm sorry to her family. I just feel real bad at the situation."

The surviving suspects were identified as Kendall Barksdale, 17, of Atlanta; Christopher Hayes, 17, of Douglasville; a 16-year old whose name is being withheld because of his age, and Daniel, whose address was not listed. They were arrested on charges of aggravated assault and armed robbery.

Martin, nicknamed "Strawberry" for her sweet disposition as a young girl, had fallen "into a bad crowd," according to relatives who gathered at the southwest Atlanta apartment where she and her family lived.

Her stepfather, Chris Roberts, said Martin's death resulted from "her wrong choices in friends, and being in the wrong place, with the wrong people.

"She wasn't brought up that way," he said.

Martin's younger sister Kristie Roberts, 12, blamed Martin's boyfriend of three years, the youngest suspect in the group.

"She wouldn't have been in that car but for [him]," Kristie said.

The teen's stepfather chimed in: "I told her to stay away from these people who have no ambition but trouble."

Autry said he hopes the culprits can be rehabilitated and not just locked up.

He was clearly troubled by the attack. Concerned about his safety and that of his girlfriend, Autry had his door locks changed Tuesday and he asked to not be photographed.

Autry was honorably discharged in 1992 after serving in Operation Desert Storm in Saudi Arabia. When told that many people consider him a hero for his actions, Autry disagreed.

"The heroes are those guys out there fighting for us every day and not getting respect," he said, referring to military personnel fighting in Iraq and elsewhere. "That [killing the attacker] wasn't admirable, it was fight or flight — and I tried the flight."

Pretty sad story; I'm sure it's not easy knowing what he had to do, but self-preservation prevailed...

sad.gif

Yes. very sad....

Unfortunate events, however from the sound of everything, the guy being attacked did what he could to get away, had a shotgun and handgun pointed at him.

I would say more than luck and skill saved his life. I think he had a gaurdian angel or something looking out for him.

Difficult enough to be robbed and have one gun pointing at you, but to be able to kick a shotgun out of someones hands and then to have a pistol misfire...

What sucks (besides the girls death) is at 36 years old I imagine the guy is going to have a bad time knowing he killed a 17 year old girl. even if it was in self defense, you are allways going to second guess if you could have done something differant.

I am glad the girls parents are blaming the boys she was hanging with and not trying to sue the guy for killing her.

Umm, I know a young girl died in this and all but her crew literally tried to kill him. The only reason the Marine is still amongst us is because ...and I quote ... "Autry kicked the shotgun from the hands of one attacker and stabbed Martin and Daniel. Another suspect attempted to shoot Autry with a .380 pistol but it misfired."

I'm not saying I'm "glad" she died nor am I saying she got what she "deserved", but I will say better her than him.

He fought for this country and she ran with a crew who demoralizes it.

The group was part of a teenage robbery crew that had struck twice this month

The teen's stepfather chimed in: "I told her to stay away from these people who have no ambition but trouble."

She was given good advice and still chose to do otherwise. She gets no sympathy from me. Her family, yes. But her in particular ... no!

Hopefully that'll serve as a wake-up call to her other 'lil buddies.

Sad, but self defense. What would have happened had the gun not misfired or he not removed the shotgun from the kids hands. Notice it's usually the one most out of place that gets the bad end of the deal. Bad company well you know one bad apple....a bit of yeast....:( Very sad but the guy is admirable to be so concerned for the unintended victims.

good for him for protecting himself. i only feel bad that he will live with this for the rest of his life. thats the sad part.

I didn't see how many people this little "crew" jacked recently but you have to think he was not the first. It's terrible for the girls family but this guy prevailed in a situation that could have; and 99% of the time would have ended badly for him. He is to be commended and they... well? Maybe there will be no next time.

It's sad she died. But I feel they other attackers should be put down to rest with her. We need to make some examples of some of these punks and thugs.
I think some of our laws are to lenient.

its always by stander gets in the way and die, some sick bastados get away with some bad shyd and always innocent gets hurt and killed...sad story...
sad.gif

oh...someone will get sue happy and the victim will be the criminal

All I'm saying about this is,if you choose a life of crime, sooner or later you WILL pay the price.

Sucks for her family...But really sucks for him. Even though he was fighting for his life that will weigh on him every day. How many cops/soldiers have break downs after they take someones life.....Really sucks for him he lives but will more than likely feel guilty.

I'm not saying I'm "glad" she died nor am I saying she got what she "deserved", but I will say better her than him.

She was given good advice and still chose to do otherwise. She gets no sympathy from me. Her family, yes. But her in particular ... no!

+1

Karma is a bi@#h sometimes...

+1

Karma is a bi@#h sometimes...
+1

I know this will probably not be popular but... it is a shame he only got one of them.

I hate bullies and those that pray upon others. They obviously did not bring those guns along with the intention of just scaring him. Had he not kicked the shotgun away and had the pistol not misfired we would be reading about an armed forces veteran who was violently gunned down in a robbery. They wanted to be tough and they wanted to be predators that took by force. It just did not work out like they had planned and there is at least one who will never commit another crime again.

You don’t rehabilitate bullies, you stand up to them. He chose not to be a defenseless victim and it nearly cost him his life. I feel no sympathy for those that attacked him. I feel sorry for the veteran for what he has to live with but he had little choice.

I know this will probably not be popular but... it is a shame he only got one of them.

I hate bullies and those that pray upon others. They obviously did not bring those guns along with the intention of just scaring him. Had he not kicked the shotgun away and had the pistol not misfired we would be reading about an armed forces veteran who was violently gunned down in a robbery. They wanted to be tough and they wanted to be predators that took by force. It just did not work out like they had planned and there is at least one who will never commit another crime again.

You don’t rehabilitate bullies, you stand up to them. He chose not to be a defenseless victim and it nearly cost him his life. I feel no sympathy for those that attacked him. I feel sorry for the veteran for what he has to live with but he had little choice.
Amen,+1!

Back