Make your iPhone work with your gloves

NickSully

Donating Member
Registered
I posted this in another thread but I realize there are a few people here that have the iPhone and that wear gloves. There's a very simple way to make the glove work with the iPhone and with more and more GPS apps coming out for the iPhone I can see this benefiting a few here.

You can buy conductive thread online for about 20 dollars for a small spool of it. This will be more than enough to do every finger on every glove that you own. I really only do my pointer fingers on each glove though.

I found that it works best if you put 4 lines running in the same direction about a quarter inch long. Make sure the thread goes through the finger on the inside of the glove though because it works best if it makes skin contact.

Google product search for conductive thread

Artical with how to

Hopefully some of you find this useful also :beerchug:

Wow what a great idea as I've had that exact problem!

Conductive thread. Is it metal? will it scratch the Ipod face? It appears that you have to sew it all the way thru so that it touches your finger and the screen at the same time. I'd really like to know how this turns out for you!

Wow what a great idea as I've had that exact problem!

Conductive thread. Is it metal? will it scratch the Ipod face? It appears that you have to sew it all the way thru so that it touches your finger and the screen at the same time. I'd really like to know how this turns out for you!

From my understanding the thread has silver in it which is what makes it conductive. Other than being a little shiny I can't really see the difference between it and normal thread.

I have been using this for probably two months now. After coming home from my Thanksgiving day ride and having to take my gloves off to check the map I became frustrated and found this solution.

I have a screen protector on my iPhone and I don't see any scratches on the protector what so server. The string has a soft feel to it but if it does contain small amounts of silver it could possibly scratch glass. :dunno:

I have a plastic protector on mine too, just wanted feedback on how rough it was on it...

and to think. when ever I had to access my phone when I had gloves on I just used my nose. :duh: :rofl:

Nick gave me some conductive thread last night and a nice lady here at work stiched some in for me today. It works great and I have a little left over just in case! Thanks again Nick!!:thumbsup:

Gloves which work with bluetooth devices are also a good solution.
Bluetooth Gloves‬‏ - YouTube[/url]
:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
aaahhh yes - but you have to access your phone to control it, right? The BEARTek glove is Bluetooth - it stays in the pocket and can be operated while riding... I guess all that doesn't really matter if your phone is mounted though, eh?

thought I'd share :)

Back