Glove fitment question...

Over_Easy

GEO-STABILIZATION EXPERT
Donating Member
Registered
Just want to get some expert opinions.  How tight should NEW gloves fit?  Details below.

Just received my new gloves (2007 Teknic Lightning) and they feel a little tight in LENGTH...my fingertips push against the tips when I close my hand and the glove's material between the finger base are just short of the gaps between my fleshy fingers. Subsequently, the palm of the glove is pulled away from the palm of my hand.  They fit fine in circumfrence around my fingers and palm.

First pair of gloves (another brand) I had were XXL because that was the largest size they made...they felt tighter than I wanted and slightly uncomfortable at first, but with some sweat and time broke in enough so I could at least wear them.

FYI: I ordered the XXL in the Teknics as well because that was the largest on the Teknic sizing chart only to find out they do make a XXXL, but for some reason it's NOT listed on their sizing chart!
rock.gif

I had the same issue with Teknic gloves. I suffered with them for a couple of months before giving them away to a friend. I'm still searching for a good fit.

(Red05 @ Apr. 20 2007,07:41) I had the same issue with Teknic gloves. I suffered with them for a couple of months before giving them away to a friend. I'm still searching for a good fit.
Not what I wanted to see...I had already sent something else back for the Teknics.  Problem is my middle finger is 4" long and pushes against the tips.

Great for giving the Big Bird though.
laugh.gif
FYI, I'm NOT a bird man.

twofinger.gif

I had to get a ruler out for this one....that's quite a finger  
laugh.gif
. My problem was the width of the glove at the knuckles, as well as finger length to a degree. Maybe some other large handed member will help us.

(Red05 @ Apr. 20 2007,08:01) I had to get a ruler out for this one....that's quite a finger  
laugh.gif
. My problem was the width of the glove at the knuckles, as well as finger length to a degree. Maybe some other large handed member will help us.
Well, my wife...okay, I'm not even going there!
laugh.gif

Okay, this thread is quickly going south.

laugh.gif

What's the glove made of? If it's mainly 'roo, you'll most likely NEVER get it to fit right. If it's leather, you can break it in. If you do it normally, by riding, it will take longer.

Or you can do what I do for new gloves that are too tight. Put them in water (or just the part you want to stretch), and dry them out on your hand. I had some leather gloves that were a bit too tight. Put them in some water, and then used the hot exhaust pipe and header to dry them out. Be careful...

Best pair of gloves I ever owned. Good luck.

(Juggler @ Apr. 20 2007,08:11) What's the glove made of?  If it's mainly 'roo, you'll most likely NEVER get it to fit right.  If it's leather, you can break it in.  If you do it normally, by riding, it will take longer.

Or you can do what I do for new gloves that are too tight.  Put them in water (or just the part you want to stretch), and dry them out on your hand.  I had some leather gloves that were a bit too tight.  Put them in some water, and then used the hot exhaust pipe and header to dry them out.  Be careful...

Best pair of gloves I ever owned.  Good luck.
Here's a pic and description if it helps:

Glove Type: Sports / street glove, with pre curved fingers & palm.
Unique features: Knuckle & finger protectors. Tunnel System.
Upper Materials: Cowhide Upper Lining: Breathable Nylex.
Palm Materials: Natural Analin cowhide.
Armor type: Knuckle protector in tunnel system. Finger protectors in tunnel systems. Keprotec lined palm & little finger. Nylon ulna bone protector. Nylon wrist protectors.
Specific Details: Pre-curved fingers & palm. Underside wrist strap system " with protector flap. Armored Hook-n-loop cuff closure system. Double-layered leather palm in critical areas. Safety-Wrap pinkie system. Finger tunnel systems. Knuckle tunnel system.
Accessories included: Ziploc bag.

Lightning_Glove.jpg

That's a tough call. If the gloves are getting stretched off the meat of your palm (so the bottom of the fingers is not touching the bottom of the V between your fingers), then they may never fit.

(Juggler @ Apr. 20 2007,08:11) What's the glove made of?  If it's mainly 'roo, you'll most likely NEVER get it to fit right.  If it's leather, you can break it in.  If you do it normally, by riding, it will take longer.

Or you can do what I do for new gloves that are too tight.  Put them in water (or just the part you want to stretch), and dry them out on your hand.  I had some leather gloves that were a bit too tight.  Put them in some water, and then used the hot exhaust pipe and header to dry them out.  Be careful...

Best pair of gloves I ever owned.  Good luck.
+1

(Juggler @ Apr. 20 2007,11:13) That's a tough call.  If the gloves are getting stretched off the meat of your palm (so the bottom of the fingers is not touching the bottom of the V between your fingers), then they may never fit.
That was my problem exactly. It didn't give a very good feel of the throttle, obviously. My hands are wierd in that they're wide across the palms compared to the length of the fingers. Gloves should come in a triple E like shoes
smile.gif

(Juggler @ Apr. 20 2007,08:11) Put them in some water, and then used the hot exhaust pipe and header to dry them out.  Be careful...
Wouldn't a simple hairdryer work better/safer?

(Over_Easy @ Apr. 20 2007,09:30)
(Juggler @ Apr. 20 2007,08:11) Put them in some water, and then used the hot exhaust pipe and header to dry them out. Be careful...
Wouldn't a simple hairdryer work better/safer?
Safety BE DAMNED!

"Nothing's worth doing, unless someone gets hurt!" as my dear old Grand-Pappy used to say... j/k

I did say to be careful. A hot header is about the same size as a grip, plus it will dry the glove faster than a hairdryer.

Back