Made my own Stator Slider

mike1180

Banned
I wanted to make a slider for the stator cover.
I wanted it just for protection in a drop, to stop the stator cover from being destroyed.
I looked at some aftermarket bolt ons and didn’t really like the look.
I can’t afford the Woodcraft right now so I made my own, without a “puckâ€.
I don’t drag my knees so the clearance was not crucial.
I figure I would only loose about 1 inch of lean before this would drag, and my shifter is close to that anyway.
If you look at my other thread, my weather is conducive for me to spend a little time on this type of project.
I know my slider will be destroyed if I it gets used, but the stator may survive.
You can’t get something like this to look as good as the Woodcraft, but I hopefully won’t be walking home from a broken stator, or having to buy a new cover and insides of the magneto.

The parts needed are:
a. 4 bolts 6mm X 1.0 thread, by 3 1/2 inches long (then cut down to size).
b. 4 spacers about 1 ¼ inches long. I made my own by drilling out some extensions that were left over from a deadbolt installation.
c. Stator cover gasket to get the location points to drill the mounting holes. (I scanned the gasket so I can email to anyone who wants to do this.)
d. Piece of scrap aluminum ¼ in or thicker.

Mark a pattern of the overall shape, mark the spots to drill the mounting holes; drill your holes (I countersunk mine for a little nicer look), cut the piece out, polish it (optional) and bolt it on.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

Good job man !!! maybe flush mount bolts would make it look alittle cleaner but all in all good job bro :beerchug:

Do you think it will work as a slider or break the bolts?

I thought about that.
The stator cover is very thin and a "rash" type of slide will wear through quickly.
This is much thicker, and should stand up to a good slide and just wear away.
There should not be the force to break the bolts in that type of slide (I think).
I don't want to test it, but in the off chance I do, I will report back.
It won't stop an impact type of hit, but neither would a Woodcraft or similar.

In order to get flush bolts, I would have to go to thicker material, and this was 1/4 inch which is fairly thick.

Last edited:
I applaud your efforts Brother...but your design is a potential DISASTER.

In a slide, if the edge of your slider digs in...it WILL rip those bolts out and damage the engine case.

I applaud your efforts Brother...but your design is a potential DISASTER.

In a slide, if the edge of your slider digs in...it WILL rip those bolts out and damage the engine case.

Thanks for that insight.
That bothered me too from the onset.
There are other aftermarket sliders that mount like mine and have a "puck" type of piece on them. (like this pic).
Do you think that they would dig in less, or be harder to break the bolts than my design?
It didn't take long to build, so i am open to design changes.

227293463_tp.jpg

In order to get flush bolts, I would have to go to thicker material, and this was 1/4 inch which is fairly thick.

You could try a button head bolt. With the counter sink you have milled in, a button head would just about be flush.

Over all, looks good :thumbsup:

It looks pretty good and will probably protect the cover if the bike just falls over, and during a slow low-side.

But if there is any speed to it, I have a feeling it will break off, or dig into the pavement and case more problems.

Thanks for that insight.
That bothered me too from the onset.
There are other aftermarket sliders that mount like mine and have a "puck" type of piece on them. (like this pic).
Do you think that they would dig in less, or be harder to break the bolts than my design?
It didn't take long to build, so i am open to design changes.

this is the same one Leo has on his bike. Hard lean and it caught the pavement and caused his back tire to loose contact. off the road he went! i'm just saying

In the last 2 weeks I have seen 1 bike trashed and another nearly so from crap design stator cover design.. this one was the crash... they touch down and lever the rear tire off the ground causing a lowside... this is not a joke...

139027d1240541335-made-my-own-stator-slider-227293463_tp.jpg

The one you designed although looks good, but may be worse than this one.. I am sticking with woodcraft myself or none at all... Our Nashville Track Virgin can probably attest to the fun of a near lowside when the slider touches down first in a corner...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input.
That is how I learn.
I have taken this off (it didn't take much to build) and am currently designing a new one.
I will post up when it is done.

I put a slider on mine, then proceeded to scrape it off at trackday and I wasn't over that far. Bad part is that I think i almost lowsided (the rear tire got light) when I did it. I think I'll replace with a woodcraft cover after I finish off this slider

IMG_0040.JPG

I put a slider on mine, then proceeded to scrape it off at trackday and I wasn't over that far. Bad part is that I think i almost lowsided (the rear tire got light) when I did it. I think I'll replace with a woodcraft cover after I finish off this slider

Does the Woodcraft cover have a different configuration?
If you dragged yours, wouldn't you have the same problem with the Woodcraft cover?
From the looks of it, it would drag too.

IMG_0040.JPG

Skydivr is your bike lowered man? Because I have NEVER had an issue with my stator hitting the ground and I know MPH200 has never had this issue eaither.

Does the Woodcraft cover have a different configuration?
If you dragged yours, wouldn't you have the same problem with the Woodcraft cover?
From the looks of it, it would drag too.

Compared to your design I believe the woodcraft is mounted higher and closer to the bike than yours. I give you props for your work but I would really hate to see you go down.

DSCN0151.jpg

DSCN0153.jpg

Last edited:
Back