Lowering advice.

houstonbussa

Registered
Ok.. I know it's been beat with a stick. And yes I've been reading all if.. Poor horse.:deadhorse: But here we go.

Most of the lowering I've seen is for the front at about 1". I met a guy that says at 4" in the front and rear he has had no clearance issues and drivability is great. I don't think I want to go as extreme as 4", but say I want to do 2" maybe 3".... I sat on his bike and LOVE the stance and sitting.

I want to keep front and back even. My neighbor's is even slammed to the ground so I need to ask him as well. But if you want to lower more than JUST 1" do you stil get the Soupy's kit? In that kit the screw type will adjust up to 4" but the front is only 1". Please advise as I'm looking for this PDQ and kickstand. (Which means I may have bought my buel peg mods for nothing as I may have to go back to stock)

Advice, links (for equipment needed) and pictures welcomed. If you haven't done it and wouldn't do it, you can feel free to WATCH the thread. I need people that have done it. If you've done it and didn't like it, please feel free to share why... not just "I didn't like it"

I know I'm going to do an 1" for sure for comfort (to be flat footed when backing up... as I am flat footed standing still, but not pushing) but if 2" or 3" make it even more fun around the corner like it does in a car.... well guess what?!?!?! YEP.. so educate me please.

I call BS on the 4 in drop all together. If the front fender isn't in the nose standing still without a rider, it will be as soon as you get on it.
I had 1in front and 1.5 rear for a couple seasons, speed bumps were avoided at all costs. Make sure you drop the rear the same or less than the front, otherwise handing will be garbage, was on mine.
I believe sleeplessRed is 2in drop front and rear, hopefully he'll chime in. His bike has a great stance and with the miles he does I can't imagine he has to many issues, other than speed bumps of coarse.
If your not gonna dial it in for the exact stance you want, I'd say skip the soupy's, there great for what they are, but if your not gonna use all they are, save the cash. I've got Soupy's as I'm not sure where ill end up height wise.
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

I did wonder about the 4" in front was possible.. Although I do know of some guys that I've sat on and KNOW it's more than an inch lower than my factory hight. Now my bike at the seat is just shy of my hip.. All these guys were mid to lower thigh. But I don't know if they only did an inch up front and 4 in the rear. On thing for sure, I don't want to loose handling as I like to dip low. A guy at the bar who was a know it all about bikes who supposedly started with a busa was convienced you couldn't dig down or drag a knee on a busa. I invited him to check my chicken strips any time he pleased. But point being, I don't want to loose that. Because the guy that claimed 4" also said clearly, that everything you gain, you give up something from the perfect ballance that is the busa.

I did wonder about the 4" in front was possible.. Although I do know of some guys that I've sat on and KNOW it's more than an inch lower than my factory hight. Now my bike at the seat is just shy of my hip.. All these guys were mid to lower thigh. But I don't know if they only did an inch up front and 4 in the rear. On thing for sure, I don't want to loose handling as I like to dip low. A guy at the bar who was a know it all about bikes who supposedly started with a busa was convienced you couldn't dig down or drag a knee on a busa. I invited him to check my chicken strips any time he pleased. But point being, I don't want to loose that. Because the guy that claimed 4" also said clearly, that everything you gain, you give up something from the perfect ballance that is the busa.

A guy at the bar told me I couldn't "Dig Down" on my busa! :dunno:

Now that's some funny sh itz right there, I don't care who you are! :laugh:

I call BS on the 4 in drop all together. If the front fender isn't in the nose standing still without a rider, it will be as soon as you get on it.
I had 1in front and 1.5 rear for a couple seasons, speed bumps were avoided at all costs. Make sure you drop the rear the same or less than the front, otherwise handing will be garbage, was on mine.
I believe sleeplessRed is 2in drop front and rear, hopefully he'll chime in. His bike has a great stance and with the miles he does I can't imagine he has to many issues, other than speed bumps of coarse.
If your not gonna dial it in for the exact stance you want, I'd say skip the soupy's, there great for what they are, but if your not gonna use all they are, save the cash. I've got Soupy's as I'm not sure where ill end up height wise.
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

You're right. It's 2 inches f/r and I love it. I've done almost 18K miles since lowering it and I've never had any problems with it except speed bumps.
Brock's lowering link was used for the rear and the fork was done by Traxxion Dynamics.

Here's more pics.

May 9 ride 013.jpg

Fourth of July Ride 050.jpg

August 3, 2010 Ride 001.jpg

I lowered an '06 for looks, and it looked great. 1" frt / 2" rear. Leveled the bike up and just looked great to me.

Obviously you want to be comfortable on your ride, so the flat footed at the light thing is important. You can mod the seat to gain a little ground there without messing with the suspension. As a matter of fact you can cut the frame and really lower the seat if needed.

Changing the suspension as described will cause the bike to bottom out. Something that never happened on the stock suspension. Bumps, driveway transitions, etc. could cause the header tubes to drag. Riding two up the tire might rub the inner fender in same.

But it sounds like you really love the corners and lowering the bike, much less slamming the bike will have a negative consequence on cornering. Your hard parts will drag much sooner and the turn in will change.

Best of luck. :thumbsup:

Lowered 4??? I want to see that. Isn't the fairing going to be on the ground with no one even sitting on it, maybe just for a show.

Dadofthree and Sleepless_Red.. What did you use? (from which sponser or links please)

I went the easy / cheap route. ReaperRisers for the front and I forget who I got the dogbones for the rear from, but I had about $80.00 and 40 minutes tied up in it. Not a mechanic, first time doing it. Just be careful.

My '01 is down 2" front are rear....love the ride, stance, and handling....plus the front wheel "usually" stays on the ground more...lol

I would say if you want any survivability on the street 2" max. The thing about lowering is the higher the rear is then the front,the better it will handle.

Peeps who like to take corners usually go +1 in rear to improve handling.

If you can swing the cash air ride is the way i went. I can ride low and slow if i like or i can adjust on the fly for speed bumps or the twisties. I may adjust my height 3 or 4 times a hour. Sometimes its just fun playing with the buttons!

And how much for an air ride cost. Seriously don't see that in my future, but what all does it consist of? (Price, parts, etc)

I would say if you want any survivability on the street 2" max. The thing about lowering is the higher the rear is then the front,the better it will handle.
Peeps who like to take corners usually go +1 in rear to improve handling.

That's not exactly the way it works.

I believe I went down 3" in the rear and nearly the same on the front... I didn't measure... oops. Although I could measure if I was at home and not at work.

Would I like it lower for looks? YES!

Would I like air ride suspension for a low price? YES!

Do I want it to handle like an 18-wheeler? NO!

Do I ride mostly highways and residential because Northeast Ohio is flat? YES

I'm raising it up a bit for the bash....

background incredible.jpg

BS on the 4" drop with no drivability issues. I dropped mine 2" in the rear only and had a few issues. Main ones being speed bumps and steep driveways/business entrances. I lowered it right after buying it for the same reach issue. It was hard to back it up sometimes while sitting on it. The main reason I decided to go back to stock height was once I got really comfortable on the bike I was scraping pegs any time I got into a corner somewhat hard.

Back