Lowering advice.

Oh, and I'm sure it's been addressed in the previous posts but I don't have time to read them all right now, so if not, lowering WILL NOT help cornering like it does in a car. It takes away ground clearance, which reduces clearance for lean and keeps you from being able to lean as far as you need to for hard cornering.

Oh, and I'm sure it's been addressed in the previous posts but I don't have time to read them all right now, so if not, lowering WILL NOT help cornering like it does in a car. It takes away ground clearance, which reduces clearance for lean and keeps you from being able to lean as far as you need to for hard cornering.

I don't disagree with your statement, actually I know you are correct! The main reason I lowered mine was to keep the front tire down on the quarter mile....

I don't disagree with your statement, actually I know you are correct! The main reason I lowered mine was to keep the front tire down on the quarter mile....

I thought that's what stretching was for.

As far as ground clearance for cornering, that makes sence. So is there any counter to it like a larger rear tire. (yes that sounds dumb.. I'm just saying what things counter the other things we do to our bikes) I just really like the stance on a lowered ride, but I like corners too.. I guess I just can't win huh.. just have to figure out what I want more huh! lol

I met a guy that says at 4" in the front and rear he has had no clearance issues and drivability is great.

He must live somewhere with no bumps, no potholes and no corners.

I refuse to believe that a 4" drop made no difference to the bike's cornering clearance.

I had mine down 1" front and rear but I didn't feel confident with the clearance, so I raised the rear 1" past stock height.

Reduction in available lean angle and ground clearance are not the only issues with lowering. Lowering affects numerous aspects of the suspensions performance. None of which are advantageous to cornering.

Thanks everyone (those who actually offered something) for helping me fill my plate of food for thought... Going to really have to think this through it looks like to see what's more important to me and what I like most.

I've got a set of links that are stock or 1.5 drop, I cut off the 3in holes cause they hit my aftermarket arm. Pm me your address and theirs yours to try out. :thumbsup:
Sent from Droid using Tapatalk

Hey Houston...I've actualy spent a great deal of time asking very similar questions around lowering/bike geometry/front-to-rear ride stance relationships, and actually TufBusa offered his thoughts that I felt really helped me make some sense of:

1. What was I really trying to accomplish...
2. What would be the cause/effect return after these changes...
3. There is a trade - and is it worth it...?

Basically, I had an 01 Busa - stock height with Heli-bars. Got in with a group of fast guys (in the turns) and I made great preogress in my cornering with their help, and freaking loved it! But I wanted to get in the turn faster/quicker...lowered the front 1.5", and raised the rear 1.5" (been a few years back now, numbers mite be off a hair but you get the idea of the stance). IT WAS AWESOME...felt like a freaking dream!:cheerleader:

Then I high sided exiting a turn...bought a K8 and could not get it to turn (I'm always remembering "where I was on my 01 as far as ability"). After posting my ideas to duplicate that setup on my K8, Tufbusa offered some advice. I basically visualized the setup as being similar to a grocery cart...when you really push the buggy fast, and the front wheels want to flip/flop right and left even though the buggy is moving forward...? Like visualizing sitting the rear tire over the front tire instead of behind it. I feel that te setup was a contributor in the wreck (stability issues)...i made formal charges against my right wrist...the primary contributor!:laugh:

So, based off my experience, I would say for handling/lowering the most I would attempt would be 1" down in the front, 1" up in the back.

For my current preference...I've stuck with stock front/~+1/2" up in the rear. Not exactly what you were looking for, but the cornering/stability issues swayed me to where I am. Playing Superman just to get a new bike will do that to ya!:laugh:

If you search my posts/threads, there were several conversations I had with esteemed members of this Org that might give you more info.

Disclaimer: these were my opinions - based on my riding style, I know there are a ton of folks that can drag barends at the Dragon with a busa lowered 8":lol:...but I can't!!!:banghead: :beerchug:

Set your bike suspension for either Straight-line Drag Racing or Racing like AMA/MotoGP (just keep it stock). Everybody's got their own bike to craft their own way!

Set your bike suspension for either Straight-line Drag Racing or Racing like AMA/MotoGP (just keep it stock). Everybody's got their own bike to craft their own way!

Well THAT part is already decided.. Not setting up for a straight line. Just trying to learn more about setting things up to get what I want most out of the bike. Although that doesn't make ANY since.. set your bike up for either or, but keep it stock.. when you make changes it's NO LONGER STOCK. And both drag and AMA are stock set ups... So which is it? Stock or set it up? Unconfuse me....:whistle:

If you do decide to lower, I would go with adjustable links. That way if you feel the need to raise the rear back up for a day of cornering, you will be able to raise her back up with little trouble. Soupys or Brocks is the way to go. Cornering is just a little more work.

spike 1.jpg

Rear of bike after Soupy's links installed.jpg

spike 3.jpg

Hey... thinking of lowering mine also. Read a lot of replies on how much to lower. But my question is this. Because the stock height is natrually lower in the front than in the rear, if I was to say lower the SAME amount in front and rear, wouldn't is still sit higher in rear? I know.. confusing. But what I am saying is that if I lower 2 inches in front and 2 inches in rear, wouldn't the bike still sit lower in the front because of the design? I assusme if I went say 2 inches in front and 3 inches in the rear, that would make it kinds "level".

Is it best to keep the back higher no matter how much you drop it? Should you drop it the same amount front AND back?

Also how da hell do you go UP in the rear? I have read guys say that they went UP 2 inches in the rear.... over stock? ???

Back