Lost my first Soldier to combat....

CAT3

Donating Member
Registered
R.I.P. SPC Yari Mokri.

Wow, can't believe after all the years and deployments fate has struck, and hard too. In Jan 06', as I was taking over as First Sergeant for my Company in Hawaii, a 25yr young Soldier arrived, looking like a true professional. Yari had just completed training for counter-intelligence and was joining our unit to work as a HUMINT Interrogator. I had the pleasure of assisting his Leaders in training him for the upcoming deployment to Iraq. I would always stress the need to know your ****, and he always listened. Not much else you can do when you have a newb with only a few months to learn it all before he steps into the Sandbox. Yari was one of the few that watched, learned and rehearsed with near perfect execution. About 2 weeks ago I learned about 5 members from Hawaii had passed on, as I was asked on a car forum if it were any of the members of the board. Without even thinking I posted up asking if it were one of the F Body guys, not thinking it could be one of my old Soldiers. I figured if it were from my old unit surely someone would have contacted me to let me know. How wrong I was! I just got an email tonight from one of my old Sergeants I used to pick on....a lot. I was thinking WTF is he emailing me for, I thought he was holding a grudge for all the crap I'd given him in the past few years. I read his email, asking how my family was etc... and then in closing he wrote, "not sure if you heard or not, but SPC Mokri is KIA as of 2weeks ago." My heart dropped and tears began to flow. My wife knowing something was amiss, came to my side and read the email quietly. She began asking which one Yari was, if she had met him, or if we had done anything special upon his arrival etc.. I said no, he arrived about the time my wife had began having pre-labor problems so she never got to meet Yari, what a shame. He was the kind of guy that would touch ppl's hearts with simple, honest and outgoing yet appropriately reserved personality.
Less than a year ago some of my buddies and I were hanging out when one of the younger guys commented, "Charlie, you and Rick should be proud of yourselves. You've trained thousands of Soldiers in your career, deployed with hundreds of them, and neither of you have lost a single Warrior you've trained." Rick and I looked at eachother and didn't know what to say. I had to email my buddy Rick who is now in Korea, its finally happened was all I had to write and he knew.

Sorry if this is offensive to anyone on here, but this place is like my family, and I really had to let this out. Sadly I would have to say, I'd rather it be a member of my family than a Soldier I've presonally trained and served with, especially when its over something so f*cked politically speaking. I just wish no one else would have to endure things like this. Thanks for listening.

Charlie... wrote with tears streaming down my cheeks, remembering the times I got to share with Yari Mokri. God Bless you Brother.

I do not see how this could offend anyone. I am sorry for your loss and to our fallen solder....

RIP

Sorry for your loss.
sad.gif
Best wishes to his family.

i'm sorry to hear of your loss, he sounds like he was a good one...RIP knowing that your service and sacrifice is appreciated more than we ever let you know

Sitting here hurting with you CAT3. No way I can feel the depth you are feeling.. but I feel it just the same....
sad.gif

Too many times the GOOD die way too young.

Sorry for your loss and Thank You and Yours for all you do for us civilians on a daily basis. My hope is that none of us ever take it for granted.

Forever Grateful

(thrasherfox @ Dec. 20 2006,19:15) Sitting here hurting with you CAT3. No way I can feel the depth you are feeling.. but I feel it just the same....  
sad.gif
well said. some of these young guys have a special place in our hearts. it always seems to happen to the good ones. Sorry for your loss. At least you had the pleasure of meeting each other.

Charlie,
In 1993 I lost two friends in an H-53 Crash; one of which I had trained before he became my room mate... while I don't know exactly how you are feeling, to a certain extent, I can empathize... I am sorry for your loss.

my friend i am truly sorry for your loss. this in no way possible could offend anyone.

I truely appreciate all the comments and supports. I think I have exhausted every possibly link on this site trying to keep my mind off this, and with that, I believe I just need to let it out. I keep opening my email wishing the text weren't there, or the link to his memorial page would somehow have the infamous "page not found" but its real and I know, no matter how much I wish it away, it will be there tomorrow, everyone of them. I wish I had been notified earlier, I would have taken the honor of being on the funeral detail and have the honor of passing the Colors to his wife or Mother. God Bless them and keep Yari close.

RIP, Sorry for the loss. RIP everyone over there that have lost their lives.

I wish the best to his family, he was trained well and served beyond the call.

THE FALLEN SOLDIER
by Patricia Krull

Don't weep for me
O' land of the free,
When it was my time to fall
'Twas for my country's call
'Twas for the land that I loved
That I gave my all,
And for the land that I loved
I did freely give,
And in her freedom and her
courage
I'll continue to live.

(heavybusa @ Dec. 20 2006,17:36) I wish the best to his family, he was trained well and served beyond the call.

THE FALLEN SOLDIER
by Patricia Krull

Don't weep for me
O' land of the free,
When it was my time to fall
'Twas for my country's call
'Twas for the land that I loved
That I gave my all,
And for the land that I loved
I did freely give,
And in her freedom and her
courage
I'll continue to live.
Excellent.... saving this, thanks.

i`m sorry for the loss
i will say prayers for the family and frends

Charlie I'm really sorry to hear about your soldier. It is truely loosing family. We in the military are more closely knit than anyone outside can ever know. I'm sorry for the loss of your brother. Nothing can ever bring him back, but you will never be without him. He will always be your heart and mind. Although your sorrow will never fade completely, I hope you can take some solice in the fact that you had a part in helping him be the great soldier he was, and that he was well prepared to do his job. Blessed are the peace makers.... may your soldier rest in peace and may you claim the honor of being part of his life. Warmest regards in your time of sorrow.

Sorry for your loss. Everytime I read or hear about another soldier lost to the war, it makes me hurt for the loved ones left behind, and it opens the emotions I felt for my friends and comrads I served with in Viet Nam who gave their life for that cause.

Deepest condolences. I have friends that are still serving and everytime I speak with them they tell me who has fallen and I cry everytime. It takes a very special person to serve and to make the military a career. In the Cav there is a poem called Fiddler's Green where you end up with all of your fallen friends. Prayers sent.

Nothing to be offended by Charlie. All you can do is train and lead your men properly. You never know how many you save over the years. It is a damn tough and trying time to be a professional soldier. I would like to share a short story with you if I can.

On Remembrance Day, I was out in the field, the lousy hierarchy barely recognized it, and so I got to thinking what I could say to the SGTs and the diggers there. I only had a few minutes to cook something up. I thought of talking about Menin Gate but I needed some context that the men could identify with in their curent situation. (For those that don't know already, I am a land warfare instructor, in the field I concentrate on conventional ops - patrolling, defensive positions and so forth at section, platoon andd company levels). Anway, back to the story, instead, I asked myself, why do we remember? (I know exactly why those that don't serve remember). This is what I came up with.

(Abridged version). Responsibility, Right, and Ability. When soldiers join the military, the individual gives himself the responsibility to protect free nations. You have the responsibility to maintain the values of a nation free of tyranny and oppression. Those that have served and died on the battlefields before us, have passed us the most valued gift of all. The right to proudly serve our nations. The right to stand up and be counted, to be brave in the face of darkness. The right to say no, not here, you will never have a foothold. Let us now be silent and reflect on those that have come before. (2 minutes silence). We have been given the right, we have given ourselves the responsibility. Today, we train. We train so that we too can pass these most valued gifts onto the next generation. We train today, to give us the abilities to face the challenges of today and an uncertain future. Everyday is Remembrance Day for a soldier. We never lose sights that this is our goal.

I am not a great wordsmith but the sentiment was right for the time. Maybe you can use the words or the thought I was trying to convey with your men or even yourself when you start to question the whole thing (we all do now and again). Those three words always help me keep focused.

regards,
Glen.

Back