Delta fixes baggage fees for Returning Soldiers

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Here's the article:

Soldiers' $2,800 in bag fees spark outrage, policy changes - CNN.com

Here's the backstory: These guys are returning deployed Reservists from one of MY OLD UNITS. Apparently this had been going on for awhile and the higher headquarters had not been able to accomplish anything. So, as soldiers sometimes do, they raised a big enough stink that THEY got the policy changed. Sometimes individual soldiers can apparently do what the ARMY as a whole cannot.

I got an email from one of the wives this AM. They are in the process of getting a royal butt-chewing by the Army. But, SO WHAT. What's the Army going to do to them, kick them out after serving a year in a combat zone? Go ahead, make their day. This is some of these guys' second deployment; at this moment they could care less.

Gotta admire the spunk of an American Soldier! I'm so proud of them!

Yeah I figured a butt chewing would be coming. Now correct me if I am wrong here because I do not know the in's and out's of the ANG system... but for us active duty people we don't care if we get charged. If it's on your orders it's fine.. you always get re-embursed on your travel voucher. I've been in almost 14yrs with 8 deployments, always with extra baggage (I had 9 on my last 1yr deployment) and always gotten repaid in the end well before my GTC bill was due. So I guess I am having problems seeing what thier issue is. Good for them for sticking up for themselves, but I can only imagine the repercussions to come.. Uncle Sam doesn't like when his laundry gets aired out, especially on the net.

yeah.. but isnt the reimbursement thing coming from the taxpayers?? so the deal is: they shouldn't be charged either way... they shouldn't have to pay, we shouldn't have to pay, the airlines should just suck it up and GIVE for once... hell, you cant even get peanuts anymore...

They may be able to get reimbursed, but I dunno if they had that kind of cash on them when they redeployed....they were hot off the transport. It wasn't $20, it was $200 A BAG....Somebody is getting gouged, either the soldier or YOUR TAX DOLLAR.

They may be able to get reimbursed, but I dunno if they had that kind of cash on them when they redeployed....they were hot off the transport. It wasn't $20, it was $200 A BAG....Somebody is getting gouged, either the soldier or YOUR TAX DOLLAR.

That's exactly why each deploying member is issued a government travel card to cover these costs. No money comes out of the members pocket. One way or another this is paid for by the military. As for Delta sucking up the costs.. yeah I agree they should, only problem is they don't... they pass it along to the next consumer driving up airline prices... so you either pay for our luggage with your taxes or with increased airline costs...

My beef is with the units S1. All of my orders have always stated 3 bags (been the policy for years) so for their unit to cut orders authorizing them 4 goes against what the contract with the Army has been and what the airlines agreed to.

There is also the weight and balance issue with the jets. If every soldier (on a full flight) brings 4 bags with them then it is possible that the plane will be overloaded so your 4th bag is now going to sit in Kuwait.

It is silly that they got charged and I never had a gov't cheese card so it would have come out of my pocket but 2 days into your reintegration you could have shown that receipt and got your money back. It makes Delta look really bad for something that really isn't their fault and something that is an easy fix for someone that understands the system.

Again, this is my .02...from my years/deployments experience and understanding.

This is wrong on 2 levels. #1, Military orders shouldve covered the soldier deploying and redeploying from the combat zone. I been on 6 deployments and haven't paid a dime on either end dealing with luggage. Also when not deployed I don't pay for overweight baggage either. I just show military ID and get everything waived. This is a S1 section function and someone from that shop needs foot to ass operations done because the 1 shop should've jumped on this with both feet trying to put that fire out. Joes suffer due to lack of someone else not doing their job. #2, For the price of a ticket and the amount of that airlines charge I don't think the airline will miss the money! I believe the airlines are price gouging and are definitely making a profit. i don't think they will suffer any by not charging for luggage for the returning soldier. Once again corporations are making a profit off of the war, the men/women fighting it, along with the taxpayers funding it.

FWIW American Airlines already waives fees for service members on orders .... and provides anyone in uniform priority boarding, security checks, etc just like their top tier frequent fliers. Also anyone on orders I believe gets access to their Admiral's club to rest/relax while connecting if they have downtime. A nice option if there is no USO available.

Delta Airlines :whistle: , Lucky Guys. During my 30 years all I got was the C-130 or C-141 Airlines, with NO INFLIGHT SERVICE or Movies :laugh: .

Just "Put you STUFF there, Go Sit There" ( in the SIDE DROP DOWN laced seats) in a Plane that I swear had NO INSULATION and ENJOY :rofl:

FWIW American Airlines already waives fees for service members on orders .... and provides anyone in uniform priority boarding, security checks, etc just like their top tier frequent fliers. Also anyone on orders I believe gets access to their Admiral's club to rest/relax while connecting if they have downtime. A nice option if there is no USO available.

Delta was also doing this in May while I was traveling.

Back