Convicted soldier unrepentant in court

BusaSamurai

There Can Be Only One INSTIGATOR * * * *
Donating Member
Registered
FORT MEADE, Md. (March 22) - An Army dog handler convicted of tormenting Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib prison with his snarling animal was unrepentant, telling a court-martial jury that soldiers aren't supposed to be "soft and cuddly."Sgt. Michael J. Smith, 24, of Fort Lauderdale, Fla., was found guilty Tuesday of six of 13 counts. A judge later dismissed one count, and Smith could face up to 8 1/2 years in prison. His sentencing hearing was set to continue Wednesday.Smith told the court-martial jury that he wished he had learned in basic training how to better avoid getting into trouble with superiors. Soldiers who do not "end up in a heap of trouble," he said.Prosecutors said Smith let his unmuzzled black Belgian shepherd Marco bark and lunge at several prisoners for his own amusement. One of the photographs that exposed the Abu Ghraib scandal shows his dog straining on its leash, just inches from the face of a cowering prisoner."Soldiers are not supposed to be softand cuddly," Smith testified.Defense attorneys said Smith was a good soldier who believed he was doing what the government wanted canine handlers to do at the prison in Iraq: provide security and frighten interrogation subjects. Defense attorney Capt. Mary G. McCarthy said all that Smith's dog did to prisoners was bark at them.Master Sgt. Shannon Wilson, who directly supervised Smith at the kennels in Fort Riley, Kan., where Smith's unit is based, testified that Smith was an exceptional soldier whose infractions didn't amount to abuse."Anything short of being bit is a psychological deterrent," Wilson said.The defense also argued that Abu Ghraib was a dangerous, chaotic place where policies were so murky that even the colonel who supervised interrogations testified he was confused.The jury deliberated for about 18 hours over three days. The trial began March 13.Smith was found guilty of maltreating three prisoners, conspiring with another dog handler in a contest to make detainees soil themselves, dereliction of duty, assault and an indecent act. The assault charge was dismissed.The indecency conviction was for Smith directing his dog to lick peanut butter off the genitals of a male soldier and the breasts of a female soldier.Smith expressed remorse for that action. "It was foolish, stupid and juvenile. There is nothing I could do to take it back. If I could, I would," Smith said.The trial of the other dog handler, Sgt. Santos A. Cardona, 31, of Fullerton, Calif., is set for May 22.Smith was acquitted of maltreating and assaulting two other detainees - one of whom was bitten hard on both thighs by Cardona's dog, according to testimony - and of conspiring with prison guards to unlawfully harass detainees.Nine other soldiers have been convicted of abusing prisoners at Abu Ghraib, in many cases by forcing them to assume painful positions and humiliate themselves sexually while being photographed. Former Cpl. Charles Graner Jr. received the longest sentence - 10 years in prison. Lynndie England, a 23-year-old reservist photographed giving a thumbs-up in front of naked prisoners, is serving three years behind bars.The New York-based advocacy group Human Rights First, which had observers at the trial, said the verdict sends "a powerful message that abusive interrogation techniques using unmuzzled dogs to terrify detainees is strictly prohibited."But attorney Avi Cover said in a statement, "There have been prosecutions going down the chain of the command but not going up. It's not enough to prosecute the people who were following orders."

So i guess it is ok to cut off the heads of Americans and video tape it . I know 2 wrongs dont make a right..But man i wouldnt want to treat them nice either ..Back in the old days this would have never gone to trial . Can we say scape goats..

<!--EDIT|BusaSamurai
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143047439 -->

Sounds like the guy deserved to be punished from the info provided. But years in jail?? Hmmm, not quite fair.

But having been in the military, I know that there had to be an officier around who knew what was going on.  Thinking as they do in the Military, that officier is more responsible because he didn't stop what was going.  Soldiers aren't trained to think, they're trained to follow orders.  Not saying that the privates and sergeants aren't at fault, just saying they aren't the only ones.

<!--EDIT|Charlesbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1143058698 -->

You can bet those officers will get the credit for all the good things done...........

That is a hard call to make. I do not think the prisoners should be treated like kings by any means, but then again, you do have to draw the line somewhere.
If the shoe were on the other foot, what would be said? Not a damned thing!
I do think they should be treated with disrespect and maybe even a little torture though!
They don't care about thier own life, so why should our soldiers have to babysit them
Heck, if they are our prisoners, they are still being treated better than they would be if they were in thier own prisons!

situation would have never happened, if they just gave the terrorist prisoners the lead lunch they deserve....

-WHEELMAN

I don't know.. I think it is personally BS. if the guy physically harmed someone just for fun and games, then yeah.. needs to be punished for that..

And yeah.. in every environment you are going to have loose cannons.. but like Gunny said.. not a whole lot of info for this board to go on to make a decision.

I do know.. and I am sure Gunny knows.. that the military and the government have a way of throwing people on grenades when it is deemed for the overall good..

This Iraq / Afghanistan thing is turning into another political mess. our biggest enemy at the moment isn't terrorists, it isn't Iraq insurgents, it is the news media.. the news media is doing extremely biased reporting and showing only the bad side of things and never the good side.. swaying people to the will of the media who is controlled by politicians.

Like someone above said, terrorists cut off the heads of American's with dull knives while they are still alive, squirming, pleading for their life until they are gurgling on their own blood.

And the news Media reports in it such a way that we shouldn’t be over there, this is our fault.. look what we have forced these terrorists to do. They are only fighting how they know how to fight.

We have some US soldier that lets a dog bark at someone's face, the guy never gets hurts… it is his own fault he pissed himself. Maybe he shouldn’t have been a terrorist if he cant handle the shid.. and this is an atrocity.. and the soldier deserves to go to jail.

What a crock.. excuse me while I go puke

the moral of the story is NO MORE CAMERAS IN PRISONS WITH TERRORISTS IN THEM. sorry i might be a little hard, or cold when it comes to it, but F them. should have let the dog take a little bite out of his ass! But hey i'm the type that's all for going back to chemical interrogations for terrorists. lets find out whats really going on. this pu55y footing around is just total BS IMHO.

Those poor terrorists.

I won't even start my book I want to write on this. You see 2 seconds on what American soldiers died in Iraq today and 45 minutes on the f-ing scumbags in a prison. F them.

camera+terrorists+prison = cut off his eyelids and use the flash as often as possible. The photo opp of eating peanut butta was what got em fuked in court.

jD

the moral of the story is NO MORE CAMERAS IN PRISONS WITH TERRORISTS IN THEM. sorry i might be a little hard, or cold when it comes to it, but F them. should have let the dog take a little bite out of his ass! But hey i'm the type that's all for going back to chemical interrogations for terrorists. lets find out whats really going on. this pu55y footing around is just total BS IMHO.
no the moral is if your gonna put on the news media for everyone to see about us doing things then you should also air the stuff they are doing to us Kind of bias media said they are protecting us from the horror. I would teliveise every beheading with warnings to the american public then lets see how many people feel about the situation.I for one think that the media is the whole problem to this war not to mention the politicians worried about how they will look in the outcome . How do you fight a war fair, Didnt we learn a lesson in Veitnam about trying to fight with hands tide .I say pull out media and let the generals loose.it is no differant then veitnam in that we are not only fighting the diff armies and insergants but also the diff citezens that one minute are begging you for food and helkp and the next minute feeding you a land mine..Either win the war or get the Hell out.How can we be a super power if we cvant beat a third world country . I have never been in the milatary so i klnow i do not know everything there is to know and might be wrong in a lot of points but from what i can see from blogs on the internet and the so called fair media that is how i feel.. Sorry to disrespect anyone a head of time . ANd i by all means to not blame the Iraqy paople that truly want help.But for once in our history we should worry about our soldiers and not what everyone else that dont give a shid about us anyways..Its all political and thats that..

i don't think ANY of the solders should have been given ONE day in jail for what they did, if the whole truth is what i have seen and read. they are just paying the price for our top govt. officials trying to appease the natives, which they will never suceed at anyway. and i am a dyed in the wool libertarian/conservative.

i don't think ANY of the solders should have been given ONE day in jail for what they did, if the whole truth is what i have seen and read.  they are just paying the price for our top govt. officials trying to appease the natives, which they will never suceed at anyway.  and i am a dyed in the wool libertarian/conservative.
+1

What part of "It's A Fugg'in War" do they not understand...okay....so the peanut butter gig might've been a tad over the top but...these actions all from a young soldier who (like all younger generation, male future soldiers) undoubtedly cut his teeth watching all the old "Nam Flicks"....Chuck Norris's "Missing In Action" series...Steven Seagals...."Apocolypse Now", "Platoon", "Hamburger Hill"...Discovery Channels Biography of "The Hanoi Hilton" and the severe abuses our Nam Vets endured.....this is the sort of viewable mindset our young dog handling prison guard Mike Smith grew up watching...a hollywood provided legacy of wartime brutality....thereby diminishing and discounting his own actions...in his own mind...where these acts were "small potatoes" by comparison...of both historical fact...and hollywood fiction...."we"....the people of U.S. of A. and the oh so brutal enemies we've encountered in the past and present have made Mike Smith who he is today...a young man....a U.S. soldier....who is still unrepentant for the accusations leveled against him because in his very heart and mind?...he...was doing what he was trained and instructed to do...his job as a U.S. Soldier....pulling extremely hazardous duty 1/2 way around the world far from home and family...in a land where public amputations, decapitations and executions are a daily way of life...you judge Mike Smith?...and you Judge yourself...like all children he was born one of gods children....pure innocence...we added the rest...and/or permitted the rest to be added...judge one?...judge all.

and that's my Former U.S. Marines .87 cents worth...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I wish more people would learn the value of leaving some stones unturned.

We all take shits dont we? But that doesnt mean we go around showing eachother and doing it in public, and telling eachother about it.....

We cant "discuss" what happens in war. ITS FRIGGIN WAR! Its a good thing the Americans were the way they were in the first 200 years of this country, because now America is loaded with a bunch of sissies who if we keep protecting them, are doomed to have sissy offspring and weaken the bridge ever further.

All is fair in love and war. The soldiers have my support, appreciation, and respect. The media can kiss my ass.

What part of "It's A Fugg'in War" do they not understand...okay....so the peanut butter gig might've been a tad over the top but...these actions all from a young soldier who (like all younger generation, male future soldiers) undoubtedly cut his teeth watching all the old "Nam Flicks"....Chuck Norris's "Missing In Action" series...Steven Seagals...."Apocolypse Now", "Platoon", "Hamburger Hill"...Discovery Channels Biography of "The Hanoi Hilton" and the severe abuses our Nam Vets endured.....this is the sort of viewable mindset our young dog handling prison guard Mike Smith grew up watching...a hollywood provided legacy of wartime brutality....thereby diminishing and discounting his own actions...in his own mind...where these acts were "small potatoes" by comparison...of both historical fact...and hollywood fiction...."we"....the people of U.S. of A. and the oh so brutal enemies we've encountered in the past and present have made Mike Smith who he is today...a young man....a U.S. soldier....who is still unrepentant for the accusations leveled against him because in his very heart and mind?...he...was doing what he was trained and instructed to do...his job as a U.S. Soldier....pulling extremely hazardous duty 1/2 way around the world far from home and family...in a land where public amputations, decapitations and executions are a daily way of life...you judge Mike Smith?...and you Judge yourself...like all children he was born one of gods children....pure innocence...we added the rest...and/or permitted the rest to be added...judge one?...judge all.

and that's my Former U.S. Marines .87 cents worth...L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
+1

nice Jinkster..

Reminds me so much of the "My Lai" incident in Nam. Our troops get killed, beheaded and tortured, but yet we are not suppose to do anything to the insurgents. BS. War is war. I guess that is why after 6 years of active duty I got out. Too much politics.

Back