A win for self defense

Busa1166

Donating Member
Registered
Police: Victim shoots robber at St. Pete Applebee's | TBO.com

Defend your self cause you if you got time to call the police for help with a phone you aren't really in need of an emergency that cop can help you. I hope this guy gets a bigger caliber gun too

ST. PETERSBURG --

Raven Smith and his girlfriend, Lesley Tanner, drove to a favorite restaurant Sunday to get a late dinner.

The Applebee's, 4700 Fourth St. N., was still packed at 10 p.m., so they parked toward the rear of the lot.

Tanner began to walk around the car to Smith when he noticed someone wearing a ski mask behind her. Smith saw that the suspect had something in his hand, and he yelled at Tanner to get down.

Smith pulled out his .38 caliber handgun and shot at the suspect multiple times, striking him four times.

"I just knew I had to act; I had to stop this guy," said Smith, 34, who has a concealed weapons permit.

"I could not lose her," he said. "And I had to protect us. I had to keep us together. I had to keep us safe."

The suspect, 17-year-old Anthony Hauser, of St. Petersburg, fell to the ground and yelled at Smith to stop shooting. Hauser said the gun he was carrying was a fake. When police arrived, they determined the gun Hauser had was a loaded .25 caliber automatic pistol.

Hauser, who will be charged with two counts of attempted robbery, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center. He is listed in serious condition but is expected to survive, St. Petersburg police said.

Smith of St. Petersburg said he's gone through a range of emotions from anger to remorse. Investigators took his gun as evidence, but he's planning to buy a new one for safety.

"I would have been happy going to my grave without ever needing it but now that I have needed it, I'm very glad I had it," said Smith, who has been carrying a gun for over a decade.

Tanner, who has dated Smith for six months, said she's proud of him.

"He's a hero," said Tanner, the St. Petersburg mother of a 6-year-old girl. "If it wasn't for him, I may not be alive today."

Both Tanner and Smith said they were pleased to learn Hauser is expected to survive.

"Maybe he can learn his lesson … and change his life," said Smith, an aircraft mechanic.

Smith will not be charged with any crime because he was acting in self-defense, police said.

If a Mod reads this feel free to fix the title :whistle:

Someone was complaining about grammar a little while ago :laugh:

:beerchug:

I just hope they dont try to sue the couple now...and if they do...no judge accepts it.

The lawsuit WILL be next, you can bet on it. Should have put one between the eyes.

Are you listening, UK?

Please keep us posted on a follow up as to law suits that may occur. I'd be happy to send this pistol packin citizen a donation to his defense fund if needed.

:cheerleader: :cheerleader:

No lawsuit will be filed in FLORIDA on a case like that because there isn't a lawyer here who will touch it. I bet on it.

Sounds like Smith acted rationally and protected himself and loved one. That is why we have laws in place that allow us to protect ourselves. Well done!

It won't be because a lawyer won't touch it :whistle:

No not in Florida. Guy had a gun and was trying to rob the other guy. He was shot in self defense, no charges were filed and he went home and made mad love to his new girlfriend. God bless the Gunshine State.

read here>>>>> Florida Castle Doctrine <<<<<

Victims cannot be sued in Florida by their attackers if it was a rightful self defense. We are the first state in the country to pass such legislation protecting victims.

thats absolutely beautiful! as it should be thanks to the castle doctrine. (thanks for that piece of info blanca)

No not in Florida. Guy had a gun and was trying to rob the other guy. He was shot in self defense, no charges were filed and he went home and made mad love to his new girlfriend. God bless the Gunshine State.

:lol::lol:

I am glad he shot the guy. If more people could take this kind of action maybe we could cut the crime rate in this great country of ours. JMO

Back