Looks like Iran found a way

No real motivation for China to do it but your theory on Iran certainly has merit. I saw a report that now that the inaguration has taken place real crackdowns will occur in Iran.

What you failed to notice in the thread about this is that access to these sites has been restricted for a while by just about every other DOD gateway. The Marines, bless them, are again the last to know. :laugh:

Fixed it....I mean Iran...

K, but you dont have to block cell phone service to block internet access via cell phone.. or texting via cell phone etc.. etc.. the digital protocol can be isolated.. so shutting down those cell towers wouldnt need to be done.. the only ones who would survive a digital block by the Iranian gov't would be sat phone owners and sat net owners who get their service elsewhere.. cellular is localized..

-------------wait------------------------

Im an expert in the field and I think the Soviet Union did this to make it look like the Iranian Ita'alat did it so that the Marines would blame the CIA when it was really thrasherfox who did it SO HE COULD START A THREAD ABOUT IT... ...

HE WHO SMELL'D IT... DEAL'D IT!!!!!

BTW- WTF IS TWITTER?

OH NO!!!!

Now where did I put that aluminum foil hat of mine :whistle:

Here it is. Now I am safe and....woah....Twitter is suddenly working.....

IMG00916.jpg

The problem was that the Marines on the ground were bored and began tweeting bogus coordinates along with various bits of intel in order to line up the right folks in their cross-hairs.

:whistle:

In all seriousness, it wouldn't surprise me if it was our government was to blame. It's not that hard to do, it's even easier to do it covertly. It doesn't require all the hands in the cookie jar. One high level signature granting approval to "those in the know" and everyone else can deny any knowledge of it. Perhaps they were coordinating with some mission on the ground. It'll be interesting to see if the news reports that we've captured someone in the next few days.

The problem was that the Marines on the ground were bored and began tweeting bogus coordinates along with various bits of intel in order to line up the right folks in their cross-hairs.

:whistle:

In all seriousness, it wouldn't surprise me if it was our government was to blame. It's not that hard to do, it's even easier to do it covertly. It doesn't require all the hands in the cookie jar. One high level signature granting approval to "those in the know" and everyone else can deny any knowledge of it. Perhaps they were coordinating with some mission on the ground. It'll be interesting to see if the news reports that we've captured someone in the next few days.

After all the heat the intel world has been taking lately (and really since Abu G) i dont believe any high level person would dare put their signature on something authorizating the illegal assault on a US owned and operated private business.

Do i believe (and know) they have the capability.. absolutely.. no one would stick their neck out for political and career suicide.. especially when twitter is being used as an enabler for unrest in one of our biggest enemy states (Iran)... too many moving parts and unprobables[sic] to that theory.. the all knowing and all powerful intel houses we fund on the east coast have more red tape than my christmas gifts. and since all covert clandestine missions have to have approval from senate oversight committee on FI or other... just seems pretty far fetched. .....

Last edited:
Yes they were, kind of an odd coincidence the same time Marines are told they have to stop using these services, the same services are shut down with a DOS attack.

The Marine Corps only banned using those sites on it's network, which I thought had been done 2 or 3 years ago when they blocked them where I'm stationed.

I don't keep up with the news but the day of or after the elections I had heard that they shut all cell towers down in Iran. Don't know if that's what happened because it was being reported :laugh:

After all the heat the intel world has been taking lately (and really since Abu G) i dont believe any high level person would dare put their signature on something authorizating the illegal assault on a US owned and operated private business.

Do i believe (and know) they have the capability.. absolutely.. no one would stick their neck out for political and career suicide.. especially when twitter is being used as an enabler for unrest in one of our biggest enemy states (Iran)... too many moving parts and unprobables[sic] to that theory.. the all knowing and all powerful intel houses we fund on the east coast have more red tape than my christmas gifts. and since all covert clandestine missions have to have approval from senate oversight committee on FI or other... just seems pretty far fetched. .....

Think you've got it on the mark here. Too much chance to violate OPSEC (but I'd really find it funny if we were putting out bogus stuff to set up the bad guys)...

I am really surprised that Israel did NOT take a shot at Iran right after the election but before the inauguration...would have been perfect timing if they should have something like that in mind; GWB would have taken the heat, but Obama would have gotten to say "I didn't order it, that was the last guy"....

I told you it was the Soviet Union!

"NEW YORK — The outage that knocked Twitter offline for hours was traced to an attack on a lone blogger in the former Soviet republic of Georgia — but the collateral damage that left millions around the world tweetless showed just how much havoc an isolated cyberdispute can cause.was the Soviet Union!!!

"Just who was behind these attacks is not yet clear, but the dispute was probably related to the ongoing political conflict between Russia and Georgia."

:rofl: someone get me a cookie.

Back