Looks like Iran found a way

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
This is strictly just a theory.

With all of the protests in Iran over the elections the government shut down everything it could to contain the spread of how bad the protests were.

The biggest problem Iran had was twitter and a few other of these type of sites that allowed people to get twitter updates on their phone.

The Iranian people were able to still spread the word of the protests using twitter.

As of now twitter is down due to a denial of service attack and facebook is saying it is having problems also.

Hacker attack shuts down Twitter - Tech and gadgets - MSNBC.com

It makes me wonder if either Iran is behind this or if another government (China maybe?) took lessons learned and are testing their ability to interfere with these type of sites.

They prob did.The problems in Iran are not going away.
They keep on with building nukes I predict Israel will move on them
I dont know nothing about other guy that was running but they couldnt do any worse that the wack job thats in control now.

just a thought but who is to say we didnt do it, they made the Marines quit using twitter and facebook and just about any other media, just this past week

It makes me wonder if either Iran is behind this or if another government (China maybe?) took lessons learned and are testing their ability to interfere with these type of sites.

or...perfect for us to test the waters and blame some else:whistle:weren't those the sites that our millitary was talking about last week putting off limits for security reasons:poke:

just a thought but who is to say we didnt do it, they made the Marines quit using twitter and facebook and just about any other media, just this past week

Very true, didnt even think about that. but yeah, maybe our own government wanted to test the abilility to shut these sites down in the event of a security breach. (i.e. a non-thinking service member puts classified info out on twitter)

I'm not going to try to spell his name but, Is it just me or dose Iran's leader look like Klinger from M*A*S*H. Picture him with a boa and heels, weird huh.

or...perfect for us to test the waters and blame some else:whistle:weren't those the sites that our millitary was talking about last week putting off limits for security reasons:poke:

Yes they were, kind of an odd coincidence the same time Marines are told they have to stop using these services, the same services are shut down with a DOS attack.

Last edited:
Very true, didnt even think about that. but yeah, maybe our own government wanted to test the abilility to shut these sites down in the event of a security breach. (i.e. a non-thinking service member puts classified info out on twitter)

i would bet that it has already happened with the classified info, just saying some things and being vague can give things away to others

Think about how much oversight goes into the smallest of clandestine projects that our gov't conducts because the U.S. is so weary of anyone having too much power. Everyone has to have their hands in the cookie jar. Something like that could never get approval and if it did... someone would leak it in a heartbeat.

The Iranian Ita'alat having a hand in it wouldn't be surprising... Though it seems to me it would be far easier (though not a good political move) to have the Iranian Grand Ayatollah announce that secular networking sites were off limits and place an IP ban (for those sites) throughout the tech sector that supplies the cellular and computer internet access (that the Iranian Gov't owns 100% of).... the Chinese do it...

My two cents on a completely useless but none the less entertaining thread!!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Think about how much oversight goes into the smallest of clandestine projects that our gov't conducts because the U.S. is so weary of anyone having too much power. Everyone has to have their hands in the cookie jar. Something like that could never get approval and if it did... someone would leak it in a heartbeat.

The Iranian Ita'alat having a hand in it wouldn't be surprising... Though it seems to me it would be far easier (though not a good political move) to have the Iranian Grand Ayatollah announce that secular networking sites were off limits and place an IP ban (for those sites) throughout the tech sector that supplies the cellular and computer internet access (that the Iranian Gov't owns 100% of).... the Chinese do it...

My two cents on a completely useless but none the less entertaining thread!!! :thumbsup:

The Iranian government DID block all internet sites. the problem was people were still able to access them (twitter, other similiar sites) through cell phones.

At that point the only option would be to shut down all cell phone services, but I would guess that would produce more problems than the governement was willing to deal with

This is strictly just a theory.

With all of the protests in Iran over the elections the government shut down everything it could to contain the spread of how bad the protests were.

The biggest problem Iran had was twitter and a few other of these type of sites that allowed people to get twitter updates on their phone.

The Iranian people were able to still spread the word of the protests using twitter.

As of now twitter is down due to a denial of service attack and facebook is saying it is having problems also.

Hacker attack shuts down Twitter - Tech and gadgets - MSNBC.com

No real motivation for China to do it but your theory on Iraq certainly has merit. I saw a report that now that the inaguration has taken place real crackdowns will occur in Iraq.

What you failed to notice in the thread about this is that access to these sites has been restricted for a while by just about every other DOD gateway. The Marines, bless them, are again the last to know. :laugh:

Actually, I would think it has more to do with the latest DEFCON conference ending last weekend and people testing the latest hole found in Apache web servers that allow DOS with very low bandwith usage.

Maybe still originating from Iran or China but I wouldn't be surprise if it was some kid testing this new "hack" out.

The Iranian government DID block all internet sites. the problem was people were still able to access them (twitter, other similiar sites) through cell phones.

At that point the only option would be to shut down all cell phone services, but I would guess that would produce more problems than the government was willing to deal with

K, but you dont have to block cell phone service to block internet access via cell phone.. or texting via cell phone etc.. etc.. the digital protocol can be isolated.. so shutting down those cell towers wouldnt need to be done.. the only ones who would survive a digital block by the Iranian gov't would be sat phone owners and sat net owners who get their service elsewhere.. cellular is localized..

-------------wait------------------------

Im an expert in the field and I think the Soviet Union did this to make it look like the Iranian Ita'alat did it so that the Marines would blame the CIA when it was really thrasherfox who did it SO HE COULD START A THREAD ABOUT IT... ...

HE WHO SMELL'D IT... DEAL'D IT!!!!!

BTW- WTF IS TWITTER?

K, but you dont have to block cell phone service to block internet access via cell phone.. or texting via cell phone etc.. etc.. the digital protocol can be isolated.. so shutting down those cell towers wouldnt need to be done.. the only ones who would survive a digital block by the Iranian gov't would be sat phone owners and sat net owners who get their service elsewhere.. cellular is localized..

-------------wait------------------------

Im an expert in the field and I think the Soviet Union did this to make it look like the Iranian Ita'alat did it so that the Marines would blame the CIA when it was really thrasherfox who did it SO HE COULD START A THREAD ABOUT IT... ...

HE WHO SMELL'D IT... DEAL'D IT!!!!!

BTW- WTF IS TWITTER?

:shutup:

Back