Long distance riding on the bus

sgee

Registered
I'm gearing up for a 10-day coast to coast (US) four corners ride on my '02 Hayabusa - appx 7,000 miles total. This is my 6th coast to coast ride, but my first on a bus. Any advice (I already installed the gel seat!)?

I'm planning same trip next yr and have a Busa that I want to set up. How do you like the gel seat - I'm trying to decide between the factory gel or a seat from Rich's in Seattle or a Corbin. Have had Corbins on Harleys and work well for me but I guess the best is the seat from Rich's.
Also, have you done anything with the handlebars - seating position? I've ordered Heli bars and am thinking of the genmar risers as well.
Thanks

I installed the Suzuki gel seat and so far (2100 miles on it) I have no complaints. I am going stock on the handle bars, but may consider the bubble windshield. This trip begins June 19th, so I don't have a whole lot of time for testing out different things, thats why I was looking for any ideas.

Ninja Eater I will be looking for the welcome mat!! Could you throw in a Philly Cheese steak with extra sauce onions on the side?
tounge.gif

Regarding the long trip.. I just purchased from Speedscreen a sport touring windscreen for my 01 Bus and it is great.. Alot more wind protection than stock and from what I could see alot more than even the Double bubble.. But it's only available from the factory.. I think it was 79.00. Good luck on the trip.

Can I tag along? Sounds like fun - hope you have good weather and drive safe. I put the Zero Gravity SP and ordered the heli-bars. I am considering the corbin bags and as far a the seat the stock one is fine for me. Get yourself some bike shorts, they work great. Any ideas on good protective clothing when its 90 dregees?
wow.gif

As far as hot riding, I live in Vegas and rode yesterday at 106! It was hot, but I wore Joe Rocket Pheonix jacket and pants, tekinic gloves (not for hot weather), and a Shoei X-SPII. I was hot, but the jacket and pants did well. I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt under that Pheonix, but I am going to try swim shorts next time, or just a speedo (not!).

i do a 202-204 one way trip almost every weekend bikes fine seats fine just put an after market windshield on her stock blows

Since your going coast - coast just keep going till you see pineapple... anyway I would recomend the better speed screen and the throttlemiester cruise control, gives ya a chance to rest right hand -
biggrin.gif

Regarding the long trip.. I just purchased from Speedscreen a sport touring windscreen for my 01 Bus and it is great.. Alot more wind protection than stock and from what I could see alot more than even the Double bubble.. But it's only available from the factory.. I think it was 79.00.  Good luck on the trip.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Read you have an 01 Busa and was looking for some information.

When you have a moment could you give me an "in a nutshell"
type review of your experiences with your 01 Busa.

I've got credit available and am just about to make the decision to buy my own silver/black version 2001...

Have you experienced any shifting problems, overheating, cold starting, windshield noise? I have done a bit of reading and these seem to be the biggies along with the timing link?issue.

It would be great if I hear back from you, but, it's early morning here now, 1am, and I think I'm gonna stay awake all night like its christmas! I'd love nothing more than to take my wife and I on a little romp on the Busa later this afternoon.

Complusive? uBet! Irrational? Certainly! Ah, we'll just have to figure out some other way for her to get a newer car. Of course the new bike is a definite priiiority to life and happiness.

Thanks,

Joe Babroba
thumbs-up.gif

Joe,
hope ya dont mind my jumping in here and giving my .02. I also have a Black/Silver 01 and man I love it. I have no problems so far, but I have made some mods to the bike to try to prevent anything unexpected.
1. Windshield noise. I didnt like the stocker so I added a Zero Gravity Double Bubble. Gives more protection and I put some electrical tape on the tabs, no buzz.
2. Shifting problems. I havent had any, but I've read that some do. I just make sure that I do a good positive pull on the lever and it works for me.
3. overheating. I live in Arkansas and it does get pretty hot here, so I put on a Muzzy alum. fan, and have not seen the needle get above the 1/2 mark. It seems the only problems occur if your sitting still for quite a while in high ambient temps.
4. Cold startups and timing link issues. No problems starting up on a cold morning, thanks to the F.I.. And the timing issues, well I really dont know what your talking about, unless its the CCT recall. No worries, the 01s and up had that done from the factory.
I also added a ATRE to boost the bottom end and take out the speed limiter, and I added a clutch pushrod shroud to prevent any chain gunk from getting in the clutch fluid.
Hope this helps ya,
Sid
biggrin.gif

Hey, thanks for all the great advise. I was out of town for two weeks, now have two days to get packed, etc and then on the road!
Hank - COME ON!!! the more the merrier, I always say! I live in Ft Worth, TX (gets damn hot) and I have the Joe Rocket mesh jacket with chrushable armour on back, elbows, shoulders. It went for 135 bucks, and is truly decent proctection, but feels like you are wearing a t-shirt.
Hawaiibusa - I am planning on lots of pics so will be sure to post some(I may need a lesson or two on how to post!)

sgee, you live in Ft.Worth?

Me too, maybe some time we could meet up and go for a ride. And if you need any type of parts let me know, I have a realy good buddy that just opened a bike profromance shop in North Richland HIlls and he has some realy good prices on everything and can get most things next day if you need it.

Jester0769, hey that's COOL you live in Ft Worth! Yes, when we get back from this trip, I will contact you and we can get together. Whats the name of the shop your buddy opened? I have not yet found a shop that I really like, so maybe this one is THE one!

Back