getting her ready for a 3k mile ride

TommyGunn1300

Registered
Planning a 3000 mile 12 day ride in June. Pretty much leaving the east coast and going to ride the west coast. I already ride 300-400 mile days all the time for fun. Plan on covering as much ground as i can in the first 2 days just to get away from everywhere i've already been before, which may mean skipping the dragon since I can ride that any weekend. What do i need to get ready for this? Other then being lowered in the rear, the bike is bone stock with 15k miles. Here is my list so far:

-fork seals
-oil change
-front and rear tire
-new windscreen

what else can i add to make it more enjoyable? I've already made a place to plug in my GPS and charge my phone.

Thanks

Make sure you have a good battery, change the clutch and brake fluid. Also think about some type of throttle lock for those long slabs.

camel back for water to keep you hydrated when you can't stop! Pictures along your journey and above all else ENJOY yourself :cheerleader:

great ideas/tips above. if I may add the following
* bring spare fuses. know what/where/how
* notify your CCC that you're on travel so card will not get flagged as stolen
* bring a can of fuel, flashlight, emergency warning triangle, tire patch/plug kit + inflator
* weapon you're comfortable/competent using
* emergency contact info readily seen on your person/in your bike (I wear dog tags and tape my wife's name/phone number on it)
* back up paper copy of your route in case GPS craps out (gas stations, lodging, etc. already marked)
* pain meds

+100 on the radar detector and "cruise control" type gizmo (I have Brakeaway)

More tips here: LINKY>>> AOW Listing

Thanks for all the advice

Throttle lock is a great idea. I had bar risers on my old busa but i felt like it didn't make that much of a differance. i'm 6ft 1 and I can pretty much sit up straight and still reach the bars.

I don't have a tank bag. looks like it would get in the way. What's a good radar detector to get that i would actually see going off?

I'm trying to do the ride as cheap as possible. staying in campgrounds if i can. I'm not quite sure how i'm going to carry a sleeping bag and a tent though. as well as clothes. Not taking many clothes. I plan on staying in a hotel every other night and washing them there.

I'm going to take a 38 special with me but i don't have a concealed permit.

Not quite sure how I would take a can of fuel with me. I guess i could get some soft bags for it but those things are so ugly.

I'm going to take a 38 special with me but i don't have a concealed permit.

If you are going to reconsider anything, it should be this part of your packing list. I have no idea where you are headed, but even with my carry permit I was very cautious about crossing state lines where there was no reciprocity. For example, when I went into NM, I stopped just before the state line where I unloaded my weapon, placed the ammo, clip and weapon in 3 different locations in the very back of my SUV.

If you are going to reconsider anything, it should be this part of your packing list. I have no idea where you are headed, but even with my carry permit I was very cautious about crossing state lines where there was no reciprocity. For example, when I went into NM, I stopped just before the state line where I unloaded my weapon, placed the ammo, clip and weapon in 3 different locations in the very back of my SUV.

If i keep it under the rear seat unloaded with the ammo somewhere else would i be good? I'm going from NC to Los Angeles.

It depends on the state. If you are going to Illinois for example, you would be in jail. Although, if you look at SC you can carry the firearm loaded, it must be in an enclosed compartment though. Something like a glove box, or the tail section is perfectly legal, even if it is loaded. Each state has different laws governing carrying a firearm.

EDIT: A quick search on Google provided some info. Handgunlaw.us

Ok thanks. I'll have to look into it once my final route is planned. Also, is it better to put on the most miles that i can in the first day? Pretty much all the places I really want to ride are west of Oklahoma. Should i just get on 40 and go for a 800 mile day making it as far west as i can or cut it up into 300-400 mile days? Once i get to Oklahoma, that's where I plan on getting off the main highway and just taking my time every day

That is something that only you can answer. I would say get on the bike the first day and just ride until you feel like stopping. Do not push it if you don't feel you want to be on the bike any longer. Especially if you are not on a time constraint of sorts. Make frequent stops to stay alert, be aware of weather headed your direction. Have fun, that is the most important part.

If you are going to carry camping gear you need to practice packing it on the bike and make sure you have a reliable setup. You should load her up and go on a few practice rides. Good compact camping gear is expensive (assuming you don't already have it), might be cheaper to just hit the cheap hotels. 12 days on a bike is a long time and when you hit those good Cali roads do you really want to be packing 200 lbs + of gear?

Thanks for all the advice

Throttle lock is a great idea. I had bar risers on my old busa but i felt like it didn't make that much of a differance. i'm 6ft 1 and I can pretty much sit up straight and still reach the bars.

I don't have a tank bag. looks like it would get in the way. What's a good radar detector to get that i would actually see going off?

I'm trying to do the ride as cheap as possible. staying in campgrounds if i can. I'm not quite sure how i'm going to carry a sleeping bag and a tent though. as well as clothes. Not taking many clothes. I plan on staying in a hotel every other night and washing them there.

On my West Coast Trip last year I decided to camp every second night along the way. Quite honestly I stayed in a motel/hotel and I mailed all my camping gear back home after my third night. After riding all day I just wanted a hot shower and comfy bed to sleep in. The Camping gear added huge weight to the bike, turning in the twisties wasn't as sharp, it added wear to the rear tire and was a pain loading and unloading from the bike twice a day. Plus keep in mind you'll need to stop and buy food and water every night before you get to the campground. You'll need other camping provisions like a small hatchet to chop wood, possibly a small saw, matches ect.

But check out the picture of my bike loaded up. Be sure you find yourself a strong cargo net to help hold everything in place so the weight doesn't shift in the corners. Bring bunjee cords as well. Saddle bags are great to store things like camping gear if you do decide to camp, a tank bag is a great thing to have. Easy access to water, documents, rain gear, camera right in front of you. Be sure to pick up a can of tire sealant. If you get a flat in the middle of no where at least that will help with getting you to the next town.

CB

DSC02489.jpg

DSC02564.jpg

DSC02444noplate.jpg

Bumping this thread because things came up and it didn't happen last year. Its happening for sure this year though. Already started booking rooms in some of the towns that will fill up. I'll be leaving Raleigh NC on Aug 22ed. This is what my route looks like:

Day 1: Raleigh NC - Nashville TN- 530 miles of highway boredom just trying to get out of the area. Staying in downtown Nashville near the bars and stuff.

Day 2: Nashville TN- Springfield Mo- 430 miles- Just getting further away (Staying at a KOA just south of Springfield at some lake)

Now going to slow it down some and enjoy the ride a bit more. No plans between day 3 and day 6. Do plan to stop in Dodge City, KS though and see the old western stuff.

Day 3: Springfield MO- Wichita KS- 250 miles

Day 4 Wichita- Lamar- 310 miles

Day 5 Lamar- Canon City CO- 160 miles- Short day. Taking a break once I get to Canon city.

Day 6 Canon City CO to Montrose CO- 200 miles- Skyline drive, Royal Gorge bridge

Day 7 Montrose CO to Durango CO- 110 miles- This is the big day. Million dollar highway. Little worried about monsoon season though. Hope it doesn't rain. Going to take a lot of time to stop and check stuff out on this part. Staying at a "cheap" hotel in Durango for the night.

Day 8 Durango CO- Flagstaff AZ- 380 miles- Hitting 4 corners, Moki Dugway, Monument Valley on the way. May stay in Page over Flagstaff. Still looking into that

Day 9 Flagstaff or Page- Vegas- 250ish miles

Day 10 Staying in Vegas all day

Day 11 Vegas to Los Angeles-

Day 12 Hanging out around LA (which means more riding around, prob head up the PCH to Neptunes Net or something)

Day 13 Drop bike off to be shipped, go to airport, Fly back to Raleigh

If anyone wants to meet up along the way and ride, Shoot me a pm.

Thanks for all the advice that was given last year. I'm going to TRY to make the camping thing work but I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money on backpacking gear. The KOAs have these little cabins I can stay at if I don't tent camp.

If you need some info for in or around canon city let me know. Lived there for a while and still have family there.

Back