Long Distance ride???

stolen417

Registered
Im currently in Saudi arabia but when i get back im going to try to make the ride from phoenix az to colorado springs.... its just shy of 900 miles... i plan on breaking it down into a two day ride since i dont think i can do it all in one day.. my bike is a 2011 and its slammed so that should make it even more interesting lol... as far as seats go i hate my seat, i dont want to spend 300 bucks on one but does anyone have or know of any sort of cover that will make this ride doable? thanks joe

Keep it simple Joe. Try the AirHawk if you don't want to go for the new seat.

... as far as seats go i hate my seat, i dont want to spend 300 bucks on one but does anyone have or know of any sort of cover that will make this ride doable? thanks joe

I've tried two different types of covers that made a significant difference.

1) I went to Walmart and bought one of those taxi driver beaded seat covers (for a car). I cut it down to the size of my bike seat (you need to do some weaving and tie-offs so it doesn't all unravel).

2) My daughter gave me a used real sheepskin car seat cover out of a used car she bought. I used the un-matted section (car seat back section) and cut a section the size of my bike seat.

Both homemade covers made a significant difference. I thought... hmmm... if one is good? I zip tied the sheepskin to the bead cover. The combination made a superb cover.

I currently use a Corbin on my Hayabusa, but I keep this bead/wool cover on hand for future bikes or for friends to borrow. It's not pretty, but it makes a stock seat work for a long trip.

any custom upholstery shop should be able to recover your seat for around $100.

i say "just go for it". your breaking it into 2 easy days. should be no problem. :thumbs:

red1100cc said:
any custom upholstery shop should be able to recover your seat for around $100.

i say "just go for it". your breaking it into 2 easy days. should be no problem. :thumbs:

What he said.

No help here:down: I do 400-600 miles a day easily on oem seat.

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

AV8R_Murf said:
Ooohhh Tough guy. hee hee

I have a 400 mile ride coming up. I'll have to try the beaded seat cover idea. Sounds easy enough. Thanks for the tip, Trout.

Nope. Every butt is different. Mine just happens to like the stock seat:beerchug:

From my dunce stool :cookoo:

I also like the stock seat. I wear padded bicycle shorts under my leathers for the long rides. I can only tollerate the stock seat without them for 600-700 miles.

I found the oem seat to be ok but what really really helped was a tip from a good friend of mine Earlybird.

300.jpg

A good squirt or two down your pants will help tremendously :)

I found the oem seat to be ok but what really really helped was a tip from a good friend of mine Earlybird.

300.jpg

A good squirt or two down your pants will help tremendously :)

Now we're talking about 2 different problems here. Powder will help with Monkey Butt (or adult diaper rash) but powder will not cure the pain in the ischium (sit bones) from a seat that doesn't match the shape of the butt.

The beads and sheepskin mentioned can help with both. They provide added air circulation beneath to deal with the rash, and they also provide some pain relief on the bones.

The only real solution to bad seating is to get a seat that is shaped properly. The stock seat is convex on top. To me, the stocker is like straddling a 12" log. The pain on the sit bones comes almost immediately. All of the serious touring seats (Russell, Corbin, Mayer) are concave on top. They cradle the buns and do not apply any pressure to the sit bones.

can't even do 200 miles on the stocker without my behind complaining!!! so, I bought a brand new corbin off of ebay that was up for auction from a guy that bought it before buying the bike and then changed his mine. that's one of the best $175 I spent so far!!!

Back