little help

phierce

Registered
I'm about to put my Christmas bonus down on a used 01' Busa w/ just over 8k and no mods red bull blue and silver.

I need some feed back on any problems or issues that any of you might have w/ your Busas so I can be sure to check before I buy it.

The dealer is installing a new clutch so I have to go back this week to test ride.

Should a clutch need to be replaced w/ only 8k?
I'm going to try and find out some info on the orig. owner to see if he was a hack. I do know he traded it for an 04'

Any help or suggestions would help.
Thanks all....

Is the dealer updating the clutch? 2002+ replaces the last fiber plate with a new fiber + 2-rings.

I would make for certain that the clutch is not being replaced due to abuse.

Also, $8K is too much, unless you are talking about a mint bike of which you know its entire history. You can get them for less if you look, as low as $6.5-7.5K.

Personally, I would avoid buying from a dealer and opt for buying direct from an owner. If you rush into this, you will likely regret paying too much or encountering hidden problems in the future. That is exactly what happened to me. I paid about a grand too much and later found stickers were hiding paint damage to the panels. Had I known about these boards three years ago, it would have been a different story.

Just re-reading, you mean 8K miles, not $8K? What is the asking price? (my post above is talking about price, but replacing the clutch at 8K miles is not right, either).

It has just over 8k miles.
I made an offer of $6500 and got shot down.
They said the work should be done this week and I'm going to offer $7000.00.
They are asking $7500. witch is right on w/ kbb.com

<!--EDIT|phierce
Reason for Edit: None given...|1072648023 -->

Ask if you can actually see the work being done. Replacing the clutch plates is very quick and easy, something that takes about half an hour if you have all the parts and know what to do.

All too often dealers say one thing and do (or don't do, rather) something else. It is so rare these days to find one that is honest and will go out of their way to serve you.

Whatever you do, if you feel uncomfortable with the price and/or condition of the bike, there are MANY, MANY more deals out there. Don't feel like this is a once-in-a-lifetime deal or that you have to buy in the winter to get a good price.

My suggestion would be to get a service manual (see the top 'pinned' threads in this forum), flip through it and begin familiarizing yourself with the mechanics and service. The more you know, the less likely you will believe just anything you are told.

It might also be a good idea to look for some local performance shops and start talking to the owners. I have found small performance shops to be a totally different breed than dealers. You can learn a lot, especially when they allow you right into the shop and you can see first-hand what is inside those bikes.

If the clutches are being replaced, I'd be happy. I only got 2K out of mine due to the launching. I fixed the problem, but 8K might be right, unless the little old lady from pasadena has been riding it.
cool.gif

Thanks guys,

Keep the info comming.

Are the recalls for the cam chain tentioner and starter problems on the 01's?

8k sounds a bit short to be replacing a clutch. remember, the rest of the bike was treated like the clutch they're replacing; oil changes, brakes etc...

BTW, you're getting this advice from a guy who bought a wrecked '02 (with a dismantled title)

Good luck!

Back