Likely selling / Odometer question

NTomas

Registered
I may have reached the point of letting my 2006 go. I have a general question regarding what to post / what to say regarding my odometer.

Here's the deal, last summer my speedometer started jumping significantly. I checked that the sensor was clean/tight and also checked that the rotor was tight and in good shape. Swapped with a new sensor, still no difference. I eventually decided to try a different speedo off of ebay. That did the trick.

So, as you would guess now the mileage now doesn't match. The odometer reads about 7K higher than what I had on it. So, if someone buys it thinking it has 20K, the actual wear/tear on the bike is 13K.

Anyway, I understand the need to mark the title as 'not actual mileage'. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to approach this with regards to selling/listing it. I'm definitely not trying to hide anything and would rather be as up front as I can. Just wondering if anyone here has recommendations on how they would approach it or have been through anything similar. Appreciate any feedback.

I'd advertise actual mileage and explain why there is a difference. Include the old speedo along with the sale.

Like you said, don't hide anything....

I know of a person who took his speedos (new and old) to a garage and had the new one certified and the original mileage was noted as being higher than the new speedo. This protected him from any fraudulent proceedings in case he tried to sell the bike. (his original speedo was around 10k miles and the new (er) one was around 3k miles).

Yeah, can include original speedo. Took pics the day I changed showing the two mileages (obviously not anything official). I guess just lay out the details and hope it doesn't scare everyone off...

I may have reached the point of letting my 2006 go. I have a general question regarding what to post / what to say regarding my odometer.

Here's the deal, last summer my speedometer started jumping significantly. I checked that the sensor was clean/tight and also checked that the rotor was tight and in good shape. Swapped with a new sensor, still no difference. I eventually decided to try a different speedo off of ebay. That did the trick.

So, as you would guess now the mileage now doesn't match. The odometer reads about 7K higher than what I had on it. So, if someone buys it thinking it has 20K, the actual wear/tear on the bike is 13K.

Anyway, I understand the need to mark the title as 'not actual mileage'. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to approach this with regards to selling/listing it. I'm definitely not trying to hide anything and would rather be as up front as I can. Just wondering if anyone here has recommendations on how they would approach it or have been through anything similar. Appreciate any feedback.
You can send your gauges to Scott at bluegauges.com and I think they charge less than $100 to correct it for you.

You can send your gauges to Scott at bluegauges.com and I think they charge less than $100 to correct it for you.

I'll email them to make sure, but their site says they can only move an odometer forward. My replacement gauges are higher than actual.

I've seen mention of the > 10 years of age stuff -- not sure how that typically works. At the end of the day, I'll likely just state the facts as they are and hope that someone wants a decent busa.

I'll email them to make sure, but their site says they can only move an odometer forward. My replacement gauges are higher than actual.

I've seen mention of the > 10 years of age stuff -- not sure how that typically works. At the end of the day, I'll likely just state the facts as they are and hope that someone wants a decent busa.

Exactly. Only the DMV in some states don’t care about mileage but a buyer certainly would.

I stand corrected. Scott at Bluegauges can swap the mileage. The 'only increase' comment was in regards to something more specific. Well worth the money.

Thanks everyone. I saw bluegauges.com back a while ago and didn't think it was an option. Appreciate it.

Back