Odometer vs. Speedohealer

_ZeF

Donating Member
Registered
I installed and calibrated (using my Garmin Quest GPS) a Speedohealer on my Busa... Really happy that my speed reading is now very accurate, but i have this question...

The odometer is now indicating less i believe, and this should be logical since i calibrated the electronic mileage measuring device to -6.4% for the speed correction.

So the way i see it, either you have a calibrated speedo or odometer! In other words, the calibration is fine from the manufacturer, its the speedometer dial that is inaccurate...

Please correct me if i'm wrong

race.gif

Sounds correct, good for resale, bad for maintenance. I am installing my gauges and speedo healer this weekend, and it will be interesting to see what correction is required. I am going from 185mph face to a 220 mph face reverse indiglow.

I installed and calibrated (using my Garmin Quest GPS) a Speedohealer on my Busa... Really happy that my speed reading is now very accurate, but i have this question...

The odometer is now indicating less i believe, and this should be logical since i calibrated the electronic mileage measuring device to -6.4% for the speed correction.

So the way i see it, either you have a calibrated speedo or odometer! In other words, the calibration is fine from the manufacturer, its the speedometer dial that is inaccurate...

race.gif
Not sure I follow you, are you saying that the odometer is not registering the correct numbers after you corrected the speedometer?

The stock odometer reads wrong pretty much the same as the speedo (according to my GPS) so when you correct the speedo you are correcting the odometer, except of course if you have changed the gearing, but what does it matter anyway, make your service intervals more frequent by the amount of change you make.

<!--EDIT|ohzone
Reason for Edit: "spelling"|1119094939 -->

Odometer and speedometer are tied together. Here's an easy way to think about it, if your speedo is reading 60 mph for an hour you have done 60 miles. With a stock Busa speedo you know that's off by some factor. Let's say it should read 55 mph. In that same hour you would have only traveled 55 miles. Speedo is now correct and mileage is correct also. Can't have one without the other.

The stock odometer reads wrong pretty much the same as the speedo (according to my GPS) so when you correct the speedo you are correcting the odometer, except of course if you have changed the gearing, but what does it matter anyway, make your service intervals more frequent by the amount of change you make.
Wrong!
Odo is accurate speedo is off by +6-8%. If you calibrate the speedo to be accurate the odo will then be off by the same +/- coresponding percentage rate.
smile.gif

race.gif
Your right!
smile.gif

A vehicle's odo cannot be off by law. A speedo can be if it's in the positive direction. The speedo and odo receive the same signal but use a different algorythm to translate them. I tested my odo before the SH and it was dead on accurate, the speedo was not.
smile.gif

So it is a fact then... If one is to correct its speedometer reading, say by -7% (typical for a Busa), then the odometer which is factory accurate, will show inaccuracy of -7%.

I think this is a nice fact to keep in mind. I'd rather have an accurate speed reading, and putting less milleage on the bike wont kill me :-))) Just gotta keep that in mind maintenance wise.

race.gif

Back