2000 busa spedo an odometer not working properly

wet illusions

Registered
I just noticed after i did alot of work on my 2000 busa over the weekend that my odometer isnt working besides blinking slash marks an the speedometer isnt working as well. i installed a stereo ,a set of led lights,an a set of hids. i have unplugged the battery an cluster to reset it-nothing..still the same. i checked fuses all good,i checked cluster connections all good. i even disconnected all extras an still nothing. i popped the cover off the cluster an it looks all fine inside- no burn spots or bad looking diodes. kinda at a loss...speed sensor???????

My first guess would be the plug on the back, did you make sure all the pins are seated in the plug? I have seen them come out or come loose and even though the plug in inserted the pins are not making contact.

Do you have someone close by you could swap clusters with to see if your cluster works on their bike ?

Wet,
I have a 2000 as well. My issue was with the HIDs. When I originally installed them, I had the ballast attached in the nose..one on each side of the headlight housing. Come to find out, the ballast emits an RF signal...so to speak, that will affect the odometer and speedo. My ODO rest back to 00000 and after miles upon miles of riding, the most that I got was maybe 00006..miles registered. The speedo needle didn't work at all. Tachometer worked fine though. So after two more gauge clusters and speed sensor change, I finally moved the ballasts and mounted them on the intake tube closer to the tank...near my knee and away from the gauge. I even wrapped them in aluminum foil as a precaution. Haven't had any issues since. Hope this helps.

Back