Light weight Wheels-Marvic,Marchesini, etc

8secBusa

Registered
Just curious to anyone's experience with lightweight wheels in the 1/4. Estimates I have read are every 3lb unsprung equals 20 sprung, 25lb sprung equals 1 tenth. Curious if that is accurate and what actual savings you get with a set of light weight wheels.

I do not think that sprung/unsprung is correct and doubt it is even close..

"Rotating" mass would be more of a issue, a tenth? I think that would be questionable on a big bike.

Marvics took 1.5 tenths off of my bike. There might be 2 tenths there. I need to do some more testing.

I do not think that sprung/unsprung is correct and doubt it is even close..

"Rotating" mass would be more of a issue, a tenth? I think that would be questionable on a big bike.
also, with a lighter wheel wheelspin would become an issue as well (like its not already). The first part of the acceleration equation is getting the rear tire to move (to your point, rotating mass). So i think that it would help the bike accelerate a little faster, and also slow down faster. Keep in mind handling might be affected as well, with the loss of mass in the wheels, you will have a loss of gyroscopic affect, too. Not so much in the 1/4, but through curves. Thats my take on it anyway...

Well ultimately we must see ,what make and type of wheels are we talking here.Carbon fibre,forged alloy,forged aluminium and etc.

Back