Blancas weight and your theories, conjecture and exp .

Blanca BusaLess

Suffers from PBSD
Donating Member
Registered
I weighed Blanca this morning by a couple diff methods.
Would like to throw these out and hear your ops on them.

1st.
2009 Hayabusa.
Brocks full 4into1 exhaust(supposed to weigh 8lbs, but on scale at shop was closer to 9 but ok)
Marchesini Forged Magnesium wheels with Michelin HPX tires. (savings of approx 7lbs over oem) https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/gen-ii-busa-information/121272-blancas-new-shoes.html
Relocated regulator and removed belly pan and bracket (1-2 lbs savings)
Removed rear fender and made simple tag bracket (1-2 lbs savings)
With 108 miles gone on tank which I know by exp will be 4 gallons back in to fill it would leave approx 1.5-2 gallons in tank.

I have one scale. A digital bathroom scale. Before anyone doubts its accuracy. My wife usually travels. We use it to get to the 65lbs bag limit .
I weigh myself, then hold bag and subtract. Its right on.
I have 5lb certified postal block I use for mailing. Scale says 4.8-4.9lbs every time.
With both feet evenly spread as compared to just the ball of one foot it is within .5lbs. So it is not sensitive to whether load is properly spread or in a single point. I will elaborate in a bit.

Now the methods:

First method I simply rolled front wheel onto scale while rear was still on ground. Then took reading. Then rolled rear wheel onto scale while front was still on ground. The took a reading.

results : 266 lbs on the front
248 lbs on the rear

total of 514 lbs total..

Ok so you say bike should be level or I should use 2 scales.
If bike is and was level in 2nd method but still I use one scale is it not the same just more work ? See pics.

Second method
Put bike on both stands as seen.
bike is level as seen by level on bike.
Place scale under front wheel and slowly lower it onto scale. ZERO weight held by stand and take a reading. Lift it back up onto stand.
Place scale under rear wheel and slowly lower it onto scale. ZERO weight held by stand and take a reading.

results of 2nd method : 257.5 lbs on front
241.5 lbs on rear

total of 499 lbs

Now when I use the stands I notice obv that when one end is down it seems to be jacking more weight onto that end.
So you would think if its not level and this theory is correct the weight figures would be higher than they should be.

To test this I used 2-3 hard books to spread out weight of tire for anyone who thinks that just the contact patch of tire was not reading correct as well as make sure that even when one end was down with other end still sat level.
Same readings as 2nd method..

So I ask which if either method do you think is fairly accurate .

Rolling onto scale one at a time for a total of 514lbs
or using stands and letting one down at a time for a total of 499lbs

I am leaning toward 2nd method as it seemed more exact ?

???

See a lot of threads about supposed weight but cant find one where anyone actually weighed their bike on certifed scale with both wheels on like at a dump or truck stop ?

Blancs weight 001.jpg

Blancs weight 006.jpg

Blancs weight 002.jpg

Blancs weight 005.jpg

Blancs weight 007.jpg

I'm sure if I read the post all the way through a few times I would understand all the details. The method i use when only one scale is available is to determine the horizontal level of the bike with one wheel on the scale. The weight has to be on the scale so that you can accurately determine what the height needs to be for the opposite tire under load.

The quicker way is to measure the height of the scale and make a platform of equal height for the tire that isn't being weighed. Confirm the horizontal level of the bike while weighing each wheel.

What's really good is if you can get a buddy to help you out. He balances the bike while you're on the bike in you most common body position (gear included). With you on the bike it changes the Cg. Also It's always good to weight with half a tank of gas so you have a mid point.

Another good way which you were almost doing in your first method is to raise the height of the scale high enogh so you can weight bothe tires and determine the Cg height along with lat position.

Last edited:
Commuta to give you a short answer .
Yes I made sure in 2nd method when one wheel was on scale other end was level.
First time doing 2nd method I noticed it was not level and seemed to be putting more weight on scale than it should so I duplicated this method again only using books to make sure it stayed level.
The reading were the same both times both ways.

I think my bike weighs 499lbs with 1.5-2 gallons in her ?

ps..I know its a long read but I wanted to answer as many questions up front before they were asked.
Things like mods and equip, scale and method surely would have come up so I put it there before hand

Last edited:
I took my bike to a metal recycler with certified scales. According to them, it weighs 499 lbs with about a half-tank of fuel.

You could always take it too a recycling center and have them do it. It would be a lot more accurate.

I intend to take it somewhere and in no way am I saying this is exactly what she weighs.
Not sure if methods will give accurate results is all.

The scale is accurate believe me. At an extra 75 bucks for each heavy weight bag we get it to the 'T'.
4 bags weighed 62lbs on our scale and 63.something at airport.

Hmmmmm..:goodidea:..I got it..I'll take Blanca to the airport and 'check her in'......:rofl:

Hey Cooba !.JPG

Last edited:
since it's a battery operated scale, did you first check the voltage of the battery to determine if it was at least 80% of its capacity :poke::laugh::thumbsup:

The one question I do have is where exactly the rear swing arm stand mounts to the frame? Is it positioned a little offset to the rear of the axle?

Rear stand uses spools and is even and inline with bike.
The handle lines right up with middle of rear tire and center of bike.

Is that what your asking ?

the spools become the pivot point fo rthe rear end weight. If it's not inline with the lat with tire contact patch then it may be supporting more or less weight. It's very minor though.

If your goal is to compare before/after weight then as long as you use the same method it'll come out right.:beerchug:

Back