LIFE EXPECTANCY OF A BUSA

(captain @ Aug. 12 2007,01:10) 3 months 1200 miles and mine crapped out...
argue.gif
guns.gif
guns.gif
But Cap that usually happens when you do the truck door mod!
biggrin.gif

guns.gif

(proud dad @ Aug. 09 2007,13:07) 1 year 10800.what problems?
My Busa is an '02 bought in '04 by the previous owner with zero miles. I bought it in May '07 with 23,000 miles and now it has 35,000 miles today. The previous owner is a friend and took very good care of the bike and road it with spirit, but did not abuse it.

Problems? Rear bushings need replacing, leaking clutch fluid, and I noticed another leak underneath the engine last night (which I don't know if it's related to the clutch fluid or something different). One mechanic said it is common for Busas to need rear bushing replaced and to expect to replace them every 3 months. I was also advised to replace the whole clutch area which will cost $600+. My bike sounds really rough when I put the choke on to warm it up and it coughs a bit in first gear.

(Tervlover @ Aug. 13 2007,08:17)
My Busa is an '02 bought in '04 by the previous owner with zero miles.  I bought it in May '07 with 23,000 miles and now it has 35,000 miles today.  The previous owner is a friend and took very good care of the bike and road it with spirit, but did not abuse it.  

Problems?  Rear bushings need replacing, leaking clutch fluid, and I noticed another leak underneath the engine last night  (which I don't know if it's related to the clutch fluid or something different).  One mechanic said it is common for Busas to need rear bushing replaced and to expect to replace them every 3 months.  I was also advised to replace the whole clutch area which will cost $600+.  My bike sounds really rough when I put the choke on to warm it up and it coughs a bit in first gear.
Never had to replace bushings on any of mine. Where is the leak coming from , center left or right did you just have the oil changed if so it might be the plug or filter.

And your bike dosent have a choke , only carbureted engines have chokes
wink.gif

(Gunnybusa @ Aug. 13 2007,08:25)
Never had to replace bushings on any of mine. Where is the leak coming from , center left or right did you just have the oil changed if so it might be the plug or filter.

wink.gif
[/Quote]
The leak is dripping down from the center of the bike. Looking at it from the side, it's where the frame sliders are positioned. As for no choke, oops, it's my girl ignorance showing up. Then what the heck is that switch that I pull down on the left bar when starting up the bike?

No, had the oil changed two weeks ago. Leak started recently.

You put 12k miles on your bike in only 4 months?
bowdown.gif

It's a fast idle lever - adds fuel like a high idle, doesn't block off air like a choke.

Even though it is a very dependable bike, 35k IS getting up there in mileage - can't blame Suzuki is you have a few minor issues. And I've never heard of bushings going bad - sure you don't mean cush drives?

06 le with just over 30k miles on it...main problem i had was 2nd gear going out around 17k miles..just replaced my cush drive also...

(Tervlover @ Aug. 13 2007,08:39)

wink.gif
The leak is dripping down from the center of the bike.  Looking at it from the side, it's where the frame sliders are positioned.  As for no choke, oops, it's my girl ignorance showing up.  Then what the heck is that switch that I pull down on the left bar when starting up the bike?

No, had the oil changed two weeks ago.  Leak started recently.[/Quote]
The bike has a “Fast Idleâ€￾; it brings up the idle when the bike is cold to help in engine heat up. A choke enriches the fuel air mixture. The oil leak may be a lose oil filter.

(Tervlover @ Aug. 13 2007,08:17)
My Busa is an '02 bought in '04 by the previous owner with zero miles.  I bought it in May '07 with 23,000 miles and now it has 35,000 miles today.  The previous owner is a friend and took very good care of the bike and road it with spirit, but did not abuse it.  

Problems?  Rear bushings need replacing, leaking clutch fluid, and I noticed another leak underneath the engine last night  (which I don't know if it's related to the clutch fluid or something different).  One mechanic said it is common for Busas to need rear bushing replaced and to expect to replace them every 3 months.  I was also advised to replace the whole clutch area which will cost $600+.  My bike sounds really rough when I put the choke on to warm it up and it coughs a bit in first gear.
Vena

Have you changed the spark plugs yet
rock.gif
The service manual recommends to change them every
7500 miles...it's ok to do them every 10-12,000.

Use NGK CR9IEX, it also goes by NGK #3521  
wink.gif

The "choke" as you call it is just a fast idle to warm up the bike...all it does is open up the
throttle a bit more.

(Tervlover @ Aug. 13 2007,08:39)

And your bike doesnt have a choke , only carbureted engines have chokes  
wink.gif
The leak is dripping down from the center of the bike.  Looking at it from the side, it's where the frame sliders are positioned.  As for no choke, oops, it's my girl ignorance showing up.  Then what the heck is that switch that I pull down on the left bar when starting up the bike?

No, had the oil changed two weeks ago.  Leak started recently.[/quote]

Check your clutch fluid (it uses Dot 4 Brake fluid) it is not uncommon for it to leak at the clutch slave cylinder. The
clutch slave cylinder is near the coolant over flow bottle on the left side (clutch lever side) of the bike.

2004 Busa 15,000mls don,t have much time to ride, Always Clutch shift 2nd so theres no Tranny Problems!.

(Tervlover @ Aug. 13 2007,08:17) One mechanic said it is common for Busas to need rear bushing replaced and to expect to replace them every 3 months.
Well, that's one mechanic that you shouldn't let anywhere near your bike
crazy.gif

What kind of fluid? Coolant, oil, brake?

(shortBoarder @ Aug. 14 2007,15:20)
(Tervlover @ Aug. 13 2007,08:17) One mechanic said it is common for Busas to need rear bushing replaced and to expect to replace them every 3 months.
Well, that's one mechanic that you shouldn't let anywhere near your bike  
crazy.gif

What kind of fluid?  Coolant, oil, brake?
According to "the one mechanic", it is blinker fluid.

Seriously, It sounds like Tervlover should find a GOOD reputable mechanic to give the Busa a once over.... plugs, air filter, check out and fix the leak etc....

Even if it cost $500 for it get a good tune up /once over and the leaks fixed, after that it will be good for tens of thousands of WORRY FREE miles...

That peace of mind on 2 wheels is priceless.  
beerchug.gif

Back