License Plate Location Help

JPunisher

Registered
Anything other than stock location could get you stopped. Depends on the officer. Not having it lighted is a direct violation. You will probably have other issues with reflectors if they were removed. The vertical and curved mount is questionable, if an officer has problems reading the plate, you may have a problem. I believe VA law states it must be readable at 50 feet.

I'm in Va, and no, it won't pass state inspection. Depending where you take it, it may, but it's not supposed to. It also depends on the cop that sees it, the cop may or may not know that it's illegal(I've seen plenty of them that are unfamiliar with equipment laws)
Alot of Harleys seem to get away with this tag setup, but it seems the cops either love em, or are afraid of them.
As far as the tag being vertical, I don't think there is anything(unless it recently changed) that specifies, as long as it is clearly visible, and has a tag light. You can buy a tag light or small LED that will work almost anywhere for cheap. I have a tag light and harness off of a Ford Explorer on my 08, I got it for $2 at the junkyard. It fits great and is out of site under the tail.

I'm in Va, and no, it won't pass state inspection. Depending where you take it, it may, but it's not supposed to. It also depends on the cop that sees it, the cop may or may not know that it's illegal(I've seen plenty of them that are unfamiliar with equipment laws)
Alot of Harleys seem to get away with this tag setup, but it seems the cops either love em, or are afraid of them.
As far as the tag being vertical, I don't think there is anything(unless it recently changed) that specifies, as long as it is clearly visible, and has a tag light. You can buy a tag light or small LED that will work almost anywhere for cheap. I have a tag light and harness off of a Ford Explorer on my 08, I got it for $2 at the junkyard. It fits great and is out of site under the tail.

DennisKirk.com has several small taglights that should mount above your plate, then you should be fine.

Thanks for all the help guys. I talked to my brother (he currently has the bike in his garage) and he told me that I can mount the bike under the tail. I thought that the previous owner had cut it off but apparently there is still a place that I can mount it. I think it looks nicer where it is but I rather not deal with the headaches (inspection and cops) so I plan to move it.

I would just have a light wired up for the license plate and put it where it lights up the plate the best. I have never been stopped for the position of my plate.

I have just bought an 06 busa that already has lots of mods. One thing that I noticed is that the license plate was moved to the tire and is vertical. There is also no light on the plate. Does anyone know if this will pass inspection or if I will get stopped for this (I live in VA)? It looks similar to this

CURVED Hayabusa license plate bracket GSXR Yamaha R1 : eBay Motors (item 390051121314 end time Mar-07-10 07:57:45 PST)

Anyone from VA know what the rules are?

JPunisher

that will get you pulled over due to the way its facing n no lights..
this is the best bet like what I have on mine
IMG_1664-1.jpg

I have a chain guard with a plate holder molded in it, and have ridden in VA. They didn't bother me, but i do have MS tags. But i love my position of the plated and haven't gotten hasseled much in other states.

As long as its lit up and is visible without any major obstruction you would likely be fine.

Must be mounted horizontal not vertical with light
Though mine has been vertical for about 6 years 2 years ago i put lights on it but never been ticketed or warned just complimented

Back