License plate frame

Hayabusa02

Registered
OK, so with all my bike mods, I forgot one thing... anyone have a good recomendation for a license plate frame?  When I installed the undertail removal kit from FSD, the tiny lip they give you is way to small for the license plate.  Well, I had to drill two new holes much closer together directly through the license plate to get it on.  I figure they must make a small 4 inch wide, or so, license plate brackets that have a full sized license plate frame on it?  Any suggestions?

Hayabusa 02,

Not sure what the undertail looks like, but if you have any room at all to work with, get a standard inspection tag plate. The one that has the metal plate below your license plate for an inspection sticker. Anyway, turn it around, and attach the metal plate to the underside of the undertail, then attach the plate to the frame.

Look in midifications, in updertail modes to see what I am talking about.

Hope that this helps.

Stealth, the one and only.

coffeecup.gif

I have the FSD undertail, so the only way I could do that, and this is what I currently have done, is to drill new holes in the license plate that are much closer together.  THe small tab they give you for the plate is not actually for the license plate, but for a license plate frame of some kind.  CLearly what I did is a hack and I would like something that is more secure.  THis "tab" is MUCH smaller than the license plate itself, maybe 4 incehs wide.  Hmmm..I really wish I could draw a picture on this some how to show what the heck I am looking for.

Naw dawg, take your stock lic plate mount and bolt it to the undertail mount. then mount your tag normally. Gives ya more angle upward if ya put it on upside down. (stock bracket)

ICE

Ummm...If I remember, my stock bracket for the license plate was the fender. That giant black plastic piece that hung down 6+ inches. The license plate was just bolted to that, so I am not sure I know what you are talking about.

You could fabricate one.I went to Home Depot and got a piece of 1.5" aluminum bar stock. Cost me 4.95 for a 3 foot piece. Cut it and shaped it with a file. Polished it out and it looks great.  
biggrin.gif

I did a similar thing Ice did. After cutting off most of the big plastic air brake (fender) with a Dremmel, I left an inch down in back only. I just took the stock license plate mount and screwed it into the remaining fender inch on the modified stock undertail way up under the tail light for illumination. No problems with cops since it is mounted about like stock only higher. I bent the tabs a little to have the plate rest more flat with the ground. The plate covers all of the tab and I bought small LP turn signals to replace the stock ones. They mount on the side of the rear fender I cut off. The new ones mount above that on the undertail. It looks really clean especially from the side, and it cost me only $25 for the new signals. To make it even more noticable, I added the signal/tail light integrator. Very cool! The brake lights flash when you brake too.

Icemans talking about a metal bracket that was on the fender when you bought the bike. If yours didn't come with one get it from the dealer . Its what you need , and check out your old fender just in case , it could still be on there .

Hayabusa02, do you have as much of a lip as is on my Mototek tail? If so, I have an inexpensive solution for you. I used a piece of aluminum siding, cut it the same size as the plate.....with a mounting tab on top. Then I drilled the same pattern in the tab, the tail, and a small piece of aluminum bar. I used the bar to back up the fiberglass. I rattle-canned the mount with black epoxy paint.....it still looks good, two years later. Put stainless fasteners through a washer, the license plate, the mounting plate, rubber washer (between the the mount & the fiberglass), the tail, and the back-up bar. Fasten them with lock washers & Essna nuts....this setup has survived years of various abuses, and cost next to nothing.

SBtail.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
THanks,

Fred E, that was very close to what I am looking to do. Basically, while my undertail is the FSD one, it has the same lip that yours does. SO my only question is what was this mounting tab that you used... is it part of the aluminum siding or did you buy that seperate. IF so how did you attach that to the aluminum siding. Forgive me if I plea total ignorance on this stuff. Electronics I can work wonders with.... mechanical stuff...I always need help
smile.gif

Thanks again!

Hayabusa02, yes it's part of the piece of aluminum siding I used. You just lay your license plate on the siding, and trace the two sides and bottom. On top, you trace in 1 1/2" on each side, then vertical lines extending 3/4" up....then connect the two 3/4" vertical extension lines at their ends.

So now you have a rectangle the same size as your license plate.....with the exception of a 3/4" X 4" tab on top. It's all one piece. I cut & filed the corners round.....just thought it looked better. I also put a slight bend (maybe 20 degrees) where the tab meets the plate.....so it wouldn't stick straight down from the mounting lip.

That looks tight FredE...would like to see that in person. I am not 100% satisfied with my set-up. I have a similar Undertail. Plan on some new pics next week.

What part of Portland do you live in? I am in Oregon City, Havoc olives in Vancouver, and Cache lives out near the Dalles.

Thinker 62, I'd be glad to show you.....it's easy, it works, it looks (IMHO) good, and best of all....it's cheap. I live on the West Side, in Bethany. Hwy 26 West, and off on 185th, and you're just about there. Anytime you'd like to have a look, shoot me an e-mail.....i'll give you directions & a phone #, so you can drop by.

I bought my Feejer at Action Motorsports in Oregon City....from Ernie Velasco. I don't think he'll speak very highly of me....I bent them over pretty good on the price. They were NOT happy with me, as I told them to either match the best prices I could find, or I'd take my business elsewhere. In the end they capitulated, but not without much hand-wringing & protestation. I was in there ordering a new (taller) windscreen when I overheard the Manager telling his parts guy to charge me full price because "He got his break when he bought the bike". Naturally, I have not spent a DIME in there since.

Thinker 62, I'd be glad to show you.....it's easy, it works, it looks (IMHO) good, and best of all....it's cheap.  I live on the West Side, in Bethany.  Hwy 26 West, and off on 185th, and you're just about there.  Anytime you'd like to have a look, shoot me an e-mail.....i'll give you directions & a phone #, so you can drop by.

I bought my Feejer at Action Motorsports in Oregon City....from Ernie Velasco.  I don't think he'll speak very highly of me....I bent them over pretty good on the price.  They were NOT happy with me, as I told them to either match the best prices I could find, or I'd take my business elsewhere.  In the end they capitulated, but not without much hand-wringing & protestation.  I was in there ordering a new (taller) windscreen when I overheard the Manager telling his parts guy to charge me full price because "He got his break when he bought the bike".  Naturally, I have not spent a DIME in there since.
I bought my bike from Ernie too. I like him, but have not been otherwise impressed with Action. In fact, I got pessed about something and complained by e-mail. They sent me $25 gift certificate.

When the weather breaks, we can get together.

Back